Value of: Burakovsky to Minnesota

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
To be fair his 82 game pace was exactly on par with his other three seasons in the league so how much did the missed time really “derail” his season.

I get not wanting to sell cheap though. Exact same reason why we’d be interest in buying cheap.

He’s still a whelp. He gets very little PP time as the Caps 1st unit stays out most all PPs

Also he is notorious for taking time to get into a rhythm after time off.

Game 7 vs Tampa and how he played vs Vegas is more like how he plays. He’s an outstanding YOUNG player that I’d bank on breaking out

Caps just have a stacked forward group. He’s a top 6 forward and was our best forward vs Pittsburgh last year

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He’s still a whelp. He gets very little PP time as the Caps 1st unit stays out most all PPs

Also he is notorious for taking time to get into a rhythm after time off.

Game 7 vs Tampa and how he played vs Vegas is more like how he plays. He’s an outstanding YOUNG player that I’d bank on breaking out

Caps just have a stacked forward group. He’s a top 6 forward and was our best forward vs Pittsburgh last year

Out of curiosity, what are you expecting him to break out into? 20g 50p ish?

I mean, regardless of being only 23, he has already played four seasons in the NHL, and he’s had the privilege of being sheltered for all of them. At the same time, usually players show SOME statistical improvement in four years.

And for how good you say his underlying numbers are, the Caps have still sent out assets to acquire too 6 wingers over trying Burakovsky there for extended periods.

And you can argue he’s poised for a breakout based on short 4-7 game spans, but that’s a song as old as time with young guys showing flashes but never being able to completely put it together.

Again, I’m not trying to tell you it’s a great idea to trade him now, but at the same time this isn’t really a “value-low” for him, because his value really hasn’t ever been much higher because he’s never put it together for a full season.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Burakovsky is a young speedy possession machine with a rifle of a shot that the Caps have no intention of selling off especially on the cheap when his value is at a low. Injuries derailed him this year but fully expect a bounce back year.

56% career Corsi for and 7.5 relative. He’s a stud that will be a game breaker

3rd round pick is insulting

Merely a conversation starter. No need to feel insulted.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Out of curiosity, what are you expecting him to break out into? 20g 50p ish?

I mean, regardless of being only 23, he has already played four seasons in the NHL, and he’s had the privilege of being sheltered for all of them. At the same time, usually players show SOME statistical improvement in four years.

And for how good you say his underlying numbers are, the Caps have still sent out assets to acquire too 6 wingers over trying Burakovsky there for extended periods.

And you can argue he’s poised for a breakout based on short 4-7 game spans, but that’s a song as old as time with young guys showing flashes but never being able to completely put it together.

Again, I’m not trying to tell you it’s a great idea to trade him now, but at the same time this isn’t really a “value-low” for him, because his value really hasn’t ever been much higher because he’s never put it together for a full season.

He made the team as a 19 year old. He wasn’t ready when he was 20 hence why we picked up Oshie and Williams.

20g/50pts is easily doable for him. Again he’s still a kid and is already our best possession player and has been pretty much since he’s made the team.

You simply don’t give up on his potential unless someone is willing to overpay.

Remember last season he was elevated to the top line in the playoffs and was slotted in our top 6 but was injury riddled this season.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
To me Burakovsky's the type of player every team should have on their team. Going to take more than a 3rd rounder to get him.

Myself and at least one other Wild fan are comfortable with a 2nd and a prospect like Olofsson, Belpedio or Sokolov.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Justin Kloos, Ivan Lodnia, Mason Shaw, and Sam Anas. AKA not great. Lodnia I think has the highest potential of those guys followed by Shaw, but I think both max out at 2/3 line tweeners. More likely third liners.
Semi interest in Shaw, but what happened to him this past year? No stats on hockeydb or eliteprospects...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well, at least it's a very, very high 3rd. Literally the highest that you could get.
some might say a late 2nd :sarcasm:

CAPS fans,

What is his value/point potential compared to MoJo? Johansson was dealt with 2 x 4.5M remaining on his deal before UFA for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. Last 3 seasons prior to the trade from age 24-26 played at a 52pt pace. Had stronger numbers than Burakovsky at identical ages too.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I love offers like this that essentially amount to, give us one of your good young players for nothing. Fans from the other market make a counter offer, "No, we only want your good young player if they are essentially free." Cool.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I love offers like this that essentially amount to, give us one of your good young players for nothing. Fans from the other market make a counter offer, "No, we only want your good young player if they are essentially free." Cool.

Or maybe it was an offer like, 'I have no idea how you would value X player, so I'm just going to throw something out to get the conversation started and find out'.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Semi interest in Shaw, but what happened to him this past year? No stats on hockeydb or eliteprospects...

Last I heard he tore his ACL in Traverse City and got reconstructive surgery. I think instead of making him come back for the last month of the season they just shut him down to fully heal.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

CAPS fans,

What is his value/point potential compared to MoJo? Johansson was dealt with 2 x 4.5M remaining on his deal before UFA for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. Last 3 seasons prior to the trade from age 24-26 played at a 52pt pace. Had stronger numbers than Burakovsky at identical ages too.

Johansson was sold at a point where Caps had no leverage.

Burakovsky crushes him in underlying metrics.

Johansson also played on the top PP unit and spent a lot of time centered by Backstrom and Kuznetsov.

Reactions: DRW204

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He was injured either very early in the season or just before the season started, I can't remember which. He came back in time to play one game in Iowa. Obviously the hope is that he stays healthy for next year because there's definitely some skill there.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Or maybe it was an offer like, 'I have no idea how you would value X player, so I'm just going to throw something out to get the conversation started and find out'.

How would YOU know what OP meant by the thread and the offer ;)

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Late first or early second is where I'd pegged his value. 23, only making 3 million, will be an RFA when his deal expires, potential to be a 30-30 guy.

And I mean at the end of the day that's what you're paying for is the potential of Bura, he could be an amazing player... or he could be a bust that never gets over the hump. If I'm a team with a late first and I'm not tantalized by anything on the board I don't see why you wouldn't take a shot on him, even at "bust" he still produces something, that's more than you can say for most late first busts. For Washington he's just a redundancy at this point and even freeing up 3 million would be huge.

I think if you have a late pick or early second you'd be crazy to not at least kick the tire.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

CAPS fans,

Tough to put his value into perspective versus MoJo. The MoJo trade is one of GMBM's blunders for sure as he was backed into a corner with the salary cap. GMBM's hand was forced by the Kuznetsov extension because Kuz threatened to bolt back to Russia if he wasn't given close to what he thought he was worth.

The problem with Bura is that he has been more of a third line guy due to the fact that the Caps top 6 was stacked already with Ovechkin, Oshie, Williams, Mojo, etc. blocking Bura from entering the top 6. He also received very little PP time and no time on the first unit. This year was his first year as a true "top 6" player and he had an injury riddled year.

He's definitely a bounce back candidate for next season once he gets full healed up. He's already indicated he's had dialogue with CCM over adding extra padding/protection to his gloves (broke fingers on both hands this year that required surgery) and he has talked about hiring a sports psychologist.

Reactions: DRW204

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Late first or early second is where I'd pegged his value. 23, only making 3 million, will be an RFA when his deal expires, potential to be a 30-30 guy.

And I mean at the end of the day that's what you're paying for is the potential of Bura, he could be an amazing player... or he could be a bust that never gets over the hump. If I'm a team with a late first and I'm not tantalized by anything on the board I don't see why you wouldn't take a shot on him, even at "bust" he still produces something, that's more than you can say for most late first busts. For Washington he's just a redundancy at this point and even freeing up 3 million would be huge.

I think if you have a late pick or early second you'd be crazy to not at least kick the tire.

So from your standpoint, MIN 2nd (whenever we have one again) + Belpedio/Olofsson/Sokolov is _________

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Tore his knee up.

Last I heard he tore his ACL in Traverse City and got reconstructive surgery. I think instead of making him come back for the last month of the season they just shut him down to fully heal.

He was injured either very early in the season or just before the season started, I can't remember which. He came back in time to play one game in Iowa. Obviously the hope is that he stays healthy for next year because there's definitely some skill there.
Thanks guys, I guess it's more like a 3rd in an Ennis dump then- unless those 1st 2 prospects somehow are put on the table. Regardless I'll leave it at that since this is a Burakovsky thread.

My opinion is that Bura should be kept- in the playoffs it showed how good having 3 lines working is and him and Vrana can always swap lines through a season depending on who's playing better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->