Value of: Burakovsky to Minnesota

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Washington might need to ship somebody out to retain Carlson, Wilson and Kempny. Burakovsky makes $3 million.

Minnesota might need a good middle six winger depending on how our lines shake out (if Coyle moves to center).

Is Burakovsky for mostly futures something that Washington would entertain?

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Washington might need to ship somebody out to retain Carlson, Wilson and Kempny. Burakovsky makes $3 million.

Minnesota might need a good middle six winger depending on how our lines shake out (if Coyle moves to center).

Is Burakovsky for mostly futures something that Washington would entertain? Is Buffalo's 2018 3rd round pick (#63) enough? A starting point?

Futures, yes. A 3rd round pick, no.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Is Burakovsky for mostly futures something that Washington would entertain? Is Buffalo's 2018 3rd round pick (#63) enough? A starting point?
Start with a late 1st rounder or 2nd + close to NHL ready prospect.

Yes Burakovsky had a down year, but he's only 23 and still has the tools and ceiling to be a good 2nd line guy

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015

Yes Burakovsky had a down year, but he's only 23 and still has the tools and ceiling to be a good 2nd line guy
This sounds like Coyle 3 years ago.

Next

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Why would the Wild look at more LW's? They have a total of 1 right shot forward as it is, another left shot winger should be the absolute bottom of their shopping list.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
We should probably hang onto our 1st this year and 1st/2nd next year. Maybe Sokolov (50G in the OHL this year, 48G the year before) or Belpedio (puck moving RHD)?
Any interest in Baertschi? I definitely like and am intrigued by either of those prospects you've listed.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I get where you’re coming from and I sympathize with your position, but he’s been in the league for four seasons now and has shown very little, if any improvement from a scoring standpoint. At this point, even though 23 is definitely still young, it’s still not a number that’s on his side. After four seasons, most guys have shown some form of significant improvement. You look at a guy like Sam Bennett who was a former 4th overall and still only 21 and even his value has tanked due to a stagnation in his offense.

The gist of this is that I’m not comfortable giving up a 1st rounder for a 23 year old who might still become a second liner at best, who has shown no little to no improvement year to year.

You could convince me to do 2nd+Belpedio depending on whether or not we plan to trade Dumba or Spurgeon this year though. Belpedio is a puck moving RD who’s maybe a year or two max from making the jump to the NHL. He probably projects to be a solid second pairing guy. Of course, if we trade Dumba or Spurgeon, we need Belpedio to help replace some of that upside at his position.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Why would the Wild look at more LW's? They have a total of 1 right shot forward as it is, another left shot winger should be the absolute bottom of their shopping list.

Filling out our top 9 with NHL caliber players should close to the top our shopping list.

Find a good 3rd line right shot winger then.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Any interest in Baertschi? I definitely like and am intrigued by either of those prospects you've listed.

Sokolov is one of those boom or bust kind of prospects for us, like Kaprizov-lite, though not as valuable to our organization. With Burakovsky, he’s still 23 and although as I said above I don’t think he’s suddenly going to break out in a huge way, he’s undoubtedly more likely to do so than Baertschi, who quite frankly has an absolute ceiling of 40 points at this point.

Summary, Burakovsky is more valuable than Baertschi and though I’m not too keen in trading Sokolov for either, I could be convinced to do it for Burakovsky, but certainly not Baertschi. Also, I may be overvaluing this aspect of a Burakovsky trade, but it gets Russian roots planted on the team BEFORE Kaprizov comes over, rather than hoping both Kaprizov and Sokolov break into the team at the same time.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Filling out our top 9 with NHL caliber players should close to the top our shopping list.

Find a good 3rd line right shot winger then.

To add to this, acquiring a low cost guy like Burakovsky would at least provide us with a serviceable replacement in the event that we trade Nino or Zucker to address a need elsewhere (RW, C, right hander).

For instance, I personally think Burakovsky and Lindholm would be more beneficial to us both short and long term than say Nino, Belpedio, and 2nd if that’s what we shipped out to get them. Presumably we could recover the loss of Belpedio OR the 2nd in the Nino for Lindholm hypothetical deal as well.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I'm kind of loathe to see us part with either, especially Sokolov. Burakovsky seems like he'd be worth it, but not so much Baertschi.

Sokolov is one of those boom or bust kind of prospects for us, like Kaprizov-lite, though not as valuable to our organization. With Burakovsky, he’s still 23 and although as I said above I don’t think he’s suddenly going to break out in a huge way, he’s undoubtedly more likely to do so than Baertschi, who quite frankly has an absolute ceiling of 40 points at this point.

Summary, Burakovsky is more valuable than Baertschi and though I’m not too keen in trading Sokolov for either, I could be convinced to do it for Burakovsky, but certainly not Baertschi. Also, I may be overvaluing this aspect of a Burakovsky trade, but it gets Russian roots planted on the team BEFORE Kaprizov comes over, rather than hoping both Kaprizov and Sokolov break into the team at the same time.
Fair enough, no argument from me that Burakovsky is worth more than Beartschi. Just saw a proposal for a young LW and thought I'd throw the name out there. Out of curiosity, could either of those prospects be had in a Ennis contract dump? It would help you comfortably sign Zucker and Dumba as well as maybe fill another roster position in free agency come July 1st.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Fair enough, no argument from me that Burakovsky is worth more than Beartschi. Just saw a proposal for a young LW and thought I'd throw the name out there. Out of curiosity, could either of those prospects be had in a Ennis contract dump? It would help you comfortably sign Zucker and Dumba as well as maybe fill another roster position in free agency come July 1st.
I think if we had a deeper prospect pool it might be worth considering, but it's pretty shallow. I could see paying a 3rd for someone to take Ennis, but his buyout hit isn't really that bad.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

FYI Burakovksy is Swedish, not Russian

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think if we had a deeper prospect pool it might be worth considering, but it's pretty shallow. I could see paying a 3rd for someone to take Ennis, but his buyout hit isn't really that bad.

This was my thought as well. I don’t know if it’s worth trading a guy like Belpedio or Sokolov. Maybe a lesser prospect.

Reactions: Bazeek

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm really unfamiliar with your prospects which guys would be in this tier?

Justin Kloos, Ivan Lodnia, Mason Shaw, and Sam Anas. AKA not great. Lodnia I think has the highest potential of those guys followed by Shaw, but I think both max out at 2/3 line tweeners. More likely third liners.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Justin Kloos, Ivan Lodnia, Mason Shaw, and Sam Anas. AKA not great. Lodnia I think has the highest potential of those guys followed by Shaw, but I think both max out at 2/3 line tweeners. More likely third liners.
Maybe Olofsson.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Burakovsky is a young speedy possession machine with a rifle of a shot that the Caps have no intention of selling off especially on the cheap when his value is at a low. Injuries derailed him this year but fully expect a bounce back year.

56% career Corsi for and 7.5 relative. He’s a stud that will be a game breaker

3rd round pick is insulting

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Burakovsky is a young speedy possession machine with a rifle of a shot that the Caps have no intention of selling off especially on the cheap when his value is at a low. Injuries derailed him this year but fully expect a bounce back year.

To be fair his 82 game pace was exactly on par with his other three seasons in the league so how much did the missed time really “derail” his season.

I get not wanting to sell cheap though. Exact same reason why we’d be interest in buying cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->