Movies: Bumblebee (December 21, 2018)

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Looks horrendous.

In fairness I haven't listened to it at all. Just watched it and saw the Bumblebee and Starscream look like actual Transformers.

I was duped into watching one Transformers movie........this might be the second

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
So basically Bumblebee falls in love with the girl and saves the world? Pass.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's like the bastard child of the Bayformers movies and Herbie the Love Bug.

Pros:
-Bumblebee is an actual VW
-Starscream looks vaguely more like Starscream is supposed to look like instead of a misshapen, off-proportion vulture monkey.

Cons:
-They still look like over-designed Bayformers. Even if Starscream has a whole lot more G1 elements (including his ear vents and G1 squared off chest with intake-boobs and cockpit-sternum)
-This is still likely going to be a movie that's like 80% humans and 20% transformers because good, long-form CGI is super expensive, thus negating that the Transformers themselves can be really interesting characters if treated like they matter instead of as props for humans to act against and to beat each other up in shaky cam blur battles.
-Honestly, what little of hte plot we see looks an awful lot like they're just ripping off Bumblebee's story arc from the first Bayformers movie (he's out of commission, gets sold to an unsuspecting kid, they bond, and then find themselves in the middle of the Great War because he has to protect his kid charge from the battle while the kid ends up proving pivotal to the fight because humans are speshul. Optional slot to insert a 'power of friendship' subplot/message as well (add Hasbro-approved cross-branding in-joke about My Little Pony here if desired)
-herpa derp derp, Rick Astley joke! Look how topical we are!
-The lack of Transformers branding in the movie title makes it feel like they're afraid to admit this is a Transformers movie after how irredeemably awful the last 2 movies were (as opposed to merely nauseatingly awful like the 2nd and 3rd one, and passably underwhelming like the first) and somehow honestly believe that people won't recognize they're seeing a Transformers movie just because the brand name isn't on the poster.
-The Bernie Mac lines they play over the trailer were from the 1st movie and were basically set up to be Bernie trying to hustle ShyBeef into buying a car. The trailer tilts them to sound like they're supposed to be profound, soulful deliberations on the central relationship of the movie. So their whole core value is built on a great big lie.

My avatar should showcase well enough that I love all things Transformers. Except these live action movies. Stop it already. I normally hate short turnaround reboots (like how we've gone through 3 Spider-Man incarnations since 2000.) but they need to stop making these crap movies, build a consultants room like the Marvel movies did (get people like Simon Furman and Don Figueroa from the comics, Jeff Kline and Duane Capizzi from the Prime cartoon) and make something that Transformers people will tell you feels like Transformers. And make it a set of war movies. They can do better. They have 30 years of material on the back of which to do better. Stop failing to do better.

I want a real Optimus Prime and Megatron in a movie before Peter Cullen and Frank Welker retire. Or worse. They're both in their 70s. The clock is ticking.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
I don't know, I'm willing to give it a shot. New director for once so why not. Haven't seen Last Knight and probably won't for a while

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't know, I'm willing to give it a shot. New director for once so why not. Haven't seen Last Knight and probably won't for a while

Don't. This trailer alone looks miles better than that movie. Eventhough it's ending did make me sort of want to see the next one (not at the theaters) because of a certain character.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
It's like the bastard child of the Bayformers movies and Herbie the Love Bug.

Pros:
-Bumblebee is an actual VW
-Starscream looks vaguely more like Starscream is supposed to look like instead of a misshapen, off-proportion vulture monkey.

Cons:
-They still look like over-designed Bayformers. Even if Starscream has a whole lot more G1 elements (including his ear vents and G1 squared off chest with intake-boobs and cockpit-sternum)
-This is still likely going to be a movie that's like 80% humans and 20% transformers because good, long-form CGI is super expensive, thus negating that the Transformers themselves can be really interesting characters if treated like they matter instead of as props for humans to act against and to beat each other up in shaky cam blur battles.
-Honestly, what little of hte plot we see looks an awful lot like they're just ripping off Bumblebee's story arc from the first Bayformers movie (he's out of commission, gets sold to an unsuspecting kid, they bond, and then find themselves in the middle of the Great War because he has to protect his kid charge from the battle while the kid ends up proving pivotal to the fight because humans are speshul. Optional slot to insert a 'power of friendship' subplot/message as well (add Hasbro-approved cross-branding in-joke about My Little Pony here if desired)
-herpa derp derp, Rick Astley joke! Look how topical we are!
-The lack of Transformers branding in the movie title makes it feel like they're afraid to admit this is a Transformers movie after how irredeemably awful the last 2 movies were (as opposed to merely nauseatingly awful like the 2nd and 3rd one, and passably underwhelming like the first) and somehow honestly believe that people won't recognize they're seeing a Transformers movie just because the brand name isn't on the poster.
-The Bernie Mac lines they play over the trailer were from the 1st movie and were basically set up to be Bernie trying to hustle ShyBeef into buying a car. The trailer tilts them to sound like they're supposed to be profound, soulful deliberations on the central relationship of the movie. So their whole core value is built on a great big lie.

My avatar should showcase well enough that I love all things Transformers. Except these live action movies. Stop it already. I normally hate short turnaround reboots (like how we've gone through 3 Spider-Man incarnations since 2000.) but they need to stop making these crap movies, build a consultants room like the Marvel movies did (get people like Simon Furman and Don Figueroa from the comics, Jeff Kline and Duane Capizzi from the Prime cartoon) and make something that Transformers people will tell you feels like Transformers. And make it a set of war movies. They can do better. They have 30 years of material on the back of which to do better. Stop failing to do better.

I want a real Optimus Prime and Megatron in a movie before Peter Cullen and Frank Welker retire. Or worse. They're both in their 70s. The clock is ticking.
So i heard that the first and third his films are good

Reactions: Baby Punisher

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Don't. This trailer alone looks miles better than that movie. Eventhough it's ending did make me sort of want to see the next one (not at the theaters) because of a certain character.

I saw this video on YouTube that tried to do it's best explaining the story of these Transformers movies and since then The Last Knight has had me curious.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I saw this video on YouTube that tried to do it's best explaining the story of these Transformers movies and since then The Last Knight has had me curious.

After Extinction I was curious after the ending and the possibilites about their history but it was all handled so poorly.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
After Extinction I was curious after the ending and the possibilites about their history but it was all handled so poorly.

That's what's really sad. The story these movies have presented seem to be really interesting once broken down and looked at. But the filmmakers have done such an awful done presenting it

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So i heard that the first and third his films are good

The first film was alright because it had enough fanservice bits to feel like they were setting up to something interesting for the franchise. Something that wasn't ever paid off.

The third one was just crap and was largely built on a mish-mash of plots from a couple of episodes of the original cartoon. In fact, the last movie even recycled a little bit of this movie's already-stolen plot into itself as well.

Reactions: irunthepeg

DaBadGuy316

May 26, 2007
VanCity
I'm trying really hard to support the franchise and seeing (hopefully) a more g1 version of starscream was cool but also don't want to be let down once again.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
They need to make a Rated R Transformers at this point. This teen beat stuff sucks.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Because it's a prequel. His vocal chords were damaged probably when he arrived (may have been even said in the first one).

Depending on how canon all of the stuff that isn't directly the movies is to the movie timeline, some comics and the Prime cartoon (which is really really good in parts, before they got budget-crunched and micromanaged by Hasbro) say that during a skirmish between Optimus' crew and Megatron's that Bumblebee attacked Megatron and damaged him severely enough to wreck his vocal processor.

In the TF: Prime canon, it ends up leading up to this very cool moments (super mega ultra spoilers for the series finale. Even the video title is a gigantic spoiler for the video itself. And before anyone asks, yes, Optimus and Megatron are voiced in it by the original Optimus and Megatron VAs.):

They need to make a Rated R Transformers at this point. This teen beat stuff sucks.

What? Why does it need to be R rated? That's silly. They can do a more mature, entertaining, war-focused Transformers series without needing to make it R. The franchise doesn't have need for gratuitous profanity, bloody carnage, or other R-necessitating material to be entertaining (and historically speaking they can get away with a lot of reasonably graphic robot violence without the high rating because it's robots. Just look at the original 80s movie or even parts of cartoons like Prime or Beast Wars. Dismembered robots and glowing purple Energon "blood" don't need the R to be workable.)

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The Michael Bay movies weren’t rated R?

They were so incredibly stupid I think I just presumed they were rated R.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The Michael Bay movies weren’t rated R?

They were so incredibly stupid I think I just presumed they were rated R.

PG or PG-13. I can't remember which. The swearing isn't sufficient to warrant an R (no f-bombs, for one), there's no nudity, and 90% of the violence is against the robot characters and the MMPA have shown that they don't care about heavy violence or gory disembowelings if it's to CGI robots spraying shrapnel and alien not-blood everywhere and not flesh creatures.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It doesn't look that bad tbh. Seeing John Cena in it doesn't give me much hope but the trailer made it look like they're trying to infuse a little more heart and genuine emotion into the franchise so I'm all for it.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The 1st transforms movie wasn't a complete disaster, but it's amazing that these movies are still going because after that have just been awful. Who is still watching these?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
He's briefly shown. He's the military looking guy

BIT4TTM.gif

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad