Building a Cup Winner | Window Closing or Right on Track?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Of course we won't know until it happens, but I am no it sure I agree with that list...

I think Simmonds will come in for less money. He is a year older and couldn't prove that he could stay healthy. His love affair with Toronto now that he has played here should have him at the same or lower than his current contract.

Why does Bogo get a raise? Yes, he has been exactly as advertised and what we need. Who gives him a raise and why does he move on? How much if a raise could it be?

Galchenyuk? Who knows? Seems like he might take the same money to get a chance to stay in an organization that gave him a shot at redemption and offers him a shot in the best top 6 in the NHL. It seems he needs a full, positive season before he starts asking for more money.

Spezza? See the last two years.

Thornton? He already chose to be here for league minimum and now he is a year older and less effective.

If we re-sign all of these guys and lose one to the expansion draft we already don't have room for Sandin, Liljegren, Robertson, Hallander, Anderson and whatever new guys we want to sign to league minimum next UFA season.

Simmonds accepted less money to come to Toronto. I think he is a good, depth player who can provide some net presence and I am betting he does this with more vigor when the chips are down come playoffs. He's also very honest about his own assessment, which to me suggests he has pride in his game. Ditto for the other two I listed. Players who have had an impact and I expect will this playoffs.

As I said, I expect our more physical players to play a key role come playoffs. What I do not expect is for other teams to do any favours for the Leafs. You can bet there will be teams who offer contracts to some of our players understanding that they too can help them find regular season success (and more, assuming Leafs have post-season success).

I do expect Leafs to have success this post-season, but, I also believe we should have had some already based on the positions we were in during some of these series. I also expect that if they get over the hump this year, it should allow for a steeper downhill ride.

Thus, the Cup should be in their crosshairs. Dubas needs to reward the team by Monday afternoon and add accordingly.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Of course we won't know until it happens, but I am no it sure I agree with that list...

I think Simmonds will come in for less money. He is a year older and couldn't prove that he could stay healthy. His love affair with Toronto now that he has played here should have him at the same or lower than his current contract.

Why does Bogo get a raise? Yes, he has been exactly as advertised and what we need. Who gives him a raise and why does he move on? How much if a raise could it be?

Galchenyuk? Who knows? Seems like he might take the same money to get a chance to stay in an organization that gave him a shot at redemption and offers him a shot in the best top 6 in the NHL. It seems he needs a full, positive season before he starts asking for more money.

Spezza? See the last two years.

Thornton? He already chose to be here for league minimum and now he is a year older and less effective.

If we re-sign all of these guys and lose one to the expansion draft we already don't have room for Sandin, Liljegren, Robertson, Hallander, Anderson and whatever new guys we want to sign to league minimum next UFA season.

Simmonds accepted less money to come to Toronto. I think he is a good, depth player who can provide some net presence and I am betting he does this with more vigor when the chips are down come playoffs. He's also very honest about his own assessment, which to me suggests he has pride in his game. Ditto for the other two I listed. Players who have had an impact and I expect will this playoffs.

As I said, I expect our more physical players to play a key role come playoffs. What I do not expect is for other teams to do any favours for the Leafs. You can bet there will be teams who offer contracts to some of our players understanding that they too can help them find regular season success (and more, assuming Leafs have post-season success).

I do expect Leafs to have success this post-season, but, I also believe we should have had some already based on the positions we were in during some of these series. I also expect that if they get over the hump this year, it should allow for a steeper downhill ride.

Thus, the Cup should be in their crosshairs. Dubas needs to reward the team by Monday afternoon and add accordingly.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

I think we are in full agreement...the only thing we don't know is how many of the UFAs increase their value, get bigger offers elsewhere (in a market where most good teams are more cap crunched then us), and the actually accept that offer. If one or two do, then we replace from within or the next veteran UFAs that want a chance at a cup, in a world class organization that is close to home. I think the risk is manageable and less than that of other contenders.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Fair point. I don't feel it closing at all...the title was in response to the many threads, posts, and posters I read on here that seem to think we have missed, or are about to miss our chance.

I see. Well then, in that case I applaud the effort and can only hope that some of these people step off the ledge. :)

Reactions: conFABulator

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I think we are in full agreement...the only thing we don't know is how many of the UFAs increase their value, get bigger offers elsewhere (in a market where most good teams are more cap crunched then us), and the actually accept that offer. If one or two do, then we replace from within or the next veteran UFAs that want a chance at a cup, in a world class organization that is close to home. I think the risk is manageable and less than that of other contenders.

Let's also not forget, this team has been relatively healthy and in a special situation. There are no guarantees of this next year.

Even making the playoffs is tough, or, playing Boston or TB in the first round might derail us.

In Dubas we trust I suppose. Let's see what he does.

Reactions: conFABulator

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Let's also not forget, this team has been relatively healthy and in a special situation. There are no guarantees of this next year.

Even making the playoffs is tough, or, playing Boston or TB in the first round might derail us.

But have we been healthy?

The first couple of years we were for sure. Last year was a disaster, I think we had the most games missed by important players (there is a way they measure this based on minutes, or salary or something) of any team in the league. Off the top of my head, I know that Rielly, Muzzin, Marner, Tavares, Hyman, Mikheyev, Dermott, and Jonsson all missed large chunks of games.

This year we have had AM with an injury he played through and missed a few games for, Simmonds with a lengthy one, Thornton missed a bunch, Andersen played hurt and now out for a long time, Campbell missed a long stretch. Not to mention Sandin and what he might have been able to bring us. Not as bad as last year, but those are some key players and positions.

This is why I want a move or two today from Dubas. An upgrade would be nice, but even just depth and insurance seems the minimum objective.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

The team has been the furthest thing from healthy this season.....??

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The team has been the furthest thing from healthy this season.....??

Yes, relatively speaking. Look at how many teams have players out for the season who are of the irreplaceable variety.

We have had players lost for a stretch, but not for a full season.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
What do the Leafs do if Matthews won't agree to an extension by the end of season four?

I would imagine that will be the most important thread topic ever when we get there. In Maple Leaf and Maple Leaf Fanboards history.

People's jobs will hang in the balance.

His newfound chemistry with Marner hopefully will play a role. But five years only? Eek. Obviously he is worth his weight in bitcoins.

But more importantly, does he miss the desert? His family?

Incidentally.....did it ever come out why he only signed for 5 years?

Last edited:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Actually the opposite - right now we're actually in the lull between prospect waves and aren't currently enjoying the benefit of even one impact player being on their ELC contract.

We are already in the worst part of our cap crunch. It'll only get easier as the next wave of prospects starts coming through.

Arguably the only reason we aren’t in the midst of a wave of prospects is because dubas has been so successful finding effective players with the cap left over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad