Build your team!!!!

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Only a couple of people have chimed in.. Come on bounce ideas!!

There are not many options out there that are really viable for a number of reasons. As was pointed out the bad contracts the Preds are carrying hurts. Being a team in a small re-build hurts. Many outside of Pred fans think that the team needs a full re-build. You can look at the main board here and short of other people wanting to poach Weber or Josi there is just no interest in trading with Nashville.

So theres really not a good answer only emotional yearnings of landing difference makers that is just not going to happen this year. Sadly were in for a couple more crappy years before it starts to get better.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
There are not many options out there that are really viable for a number of reasons. As was pointed out the bad contracts the Preds are carrying hurts. Being a team in a small re-build hurts. Many outside of Pred fans think that the team needs a full re-build. You can look at the main board here and short of other people wanting to poach Weber or Josi there is just no interest in trading with Nashville.

So theres really not a good answer only emotional yearnings of landing difference makers that is just not going to happen this year. Sadly were in for a couple more crappy years before it starts to get better.
We're also in a nebulous position in relation to the rest of the division. Less skilled than probably five of the other teams in division, and don't really make up for that with any grit or toughness (definitely not more so than a St. Louis or Dallas). And while our defense could shape up to be a difference maker, if we go off and trade a Weber or Josi for offensive upgrades then we throw that out the window as well.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Less skill up front maybe. On the back end though, we're as skilled as anyone.
We already know this combination does not work. I don't know why people keep suggesting it's going to get us anywhere.

4 or so years ago these hypothetical acquisition scenarios were more fun to do. We had tons of assets like Hamhuis/Suter/Blum/Franson/Klein, and we were seen as an up and comer-- making it more likely to land FA.

But now most all those assets have gone to zero, and we are at the basement. Our current assets are very scarce, save Weber/Josi/Jones/maybe Rinne.

It's very unlikely we will get a good UFA, and it's very unlikely we have to assets to pull of trade to get some scoring. That's why this thread sucks right now.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I didn't suggest that, just pointing out we have skill, just not up front. I don't know why some people think defensemen aren"t skilled players.

It takes both, along with the right coach.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I notice nobody is including Nick Spaling. What can you tell me about this player?
Reliable 3rd-4th line guy that can play in all situations. Think he probably has even a little more offensive upside than the 13g/32pts he put up this season, but all depends on how he's utilized. He gets overlooked here because of the historical glut of bottom 6 type guys we have, and he's not a top 6 guy, but there's more than a few players on this roster I'd rather part with before him.

Tippett would love him. Think he could definitely fill the type of role that a guy like Korpikoski has.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
I have been hearing Yak was on the outs in Edmonton. He has not done anything more than
the value of what i offered. I'm sure you are under valueing Ellis even though he showed leaps and bounds improvement this year. Goose brings them size and grit something the Oilers desperately need. They also get a 2nd round pick in their quest to rebuild.

The Preds still have the two cornerstones in Weber and Jones.

It's pretty clear over the years that 20 all star defensemen are no going to get the Preds far.

Why on earth would you want Yak?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Why on earth would you want Yak?

He's only two years removed from being picked first and his value is at the lowest it'll probably be in a long time after a sophomore slump. If we had a chance to get him for only Ellis , Gaustad and a 2nd, hell even two 2nds, you take that deal. It's not going to happen though.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
He's probably going to bolt for the KHL. And after Rads and the Kostisyns, I doubt Poile takes a chance on a Russian/Belarussian

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Here is what I would like to see on the ice this coming season.
Sign Moulson 4years at $5,000,000

2 major Trades

To Toronto: Seth Jones, 11th OA, Rights to Taylor Beck

To Nashville: Phil Kessel, Rights to Cody Franson

To Carolina: Colin Wilson, Patric Hornqvist, Rights to MDZ, Stalberg(cap dump), Det 2014 2nd

To Nashville: Eric Staal, Danny Biega

Lineup
Moulson-E. Staal-Kessel
Forsberg-Jarnkrok-Smith
Cullen-Fisher-Soissons
Nystrom-Gaustad-Clune
Bourque

Weber-Josi
Ellis-Ekholm
Franson-Bartley
Biega

Rinne
Hutton

Payroll-$60,847,976
Without signing Hutton,Franson,Ellis,Ekholm

Next year when Fisher retires use that money to extend Smith and let Watson play 3rd line center.

This gives us a legit top line.
Any thoughts?

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
wits.png

...Am I doing it right?

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
My super hopeful roster:

Trade 1: Wilson+11 OA+MDZ for a signed Spezza (hopefully we can get a pick or something thrown in too)

Trade 2: Stalberg for Umberger (15% retained)

Sign Vrbata (5m) This could really Gaborik, Vanek, or Moulson too.

Sign Hainsey (1.5m)

Re-sign Ellis, Ekholm, Spaling and Hutton.

Bourque or Nystrom becomes trade bait for picks.

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Craig Smith ($2.000m) / Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($5.000m)
Matt Cullen ($3.500m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
R.J. Umberger ($3.910m—15.00%) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.715m) / Filip Forsberg ($0.894m)
Eric Nystrom ($2.500m) / Paul Gaustad ($3.250m) / Nick Spaling ($1.500m)
Richard Clune ($0.850m) / Gabriel Bourque ($0.775m)
DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($7.857m) / Roman Josi ($4.000m)
Seth Jones ($0.925m) / Ryan Ellis ($2.000m)
Mattias Ekholm ($1.250m) / Ron Hainsey ($1.500m)
Victor Bartley ($0.667m) /
GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($7.000m)
Carter Hutton ($0.750m)
BUYOUTS
Hal Gill ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,292,976; BONUSES: $3,051,667
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,807,024

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Here is what I would like to see on the ice this coming season.
Sign Moulson 4years at $5,000,000

2 major Trades

To Toronto: Seth Jones, 11th OA, Rights to Taylor Beck

To Nashville: Phil Kessel, Rights to Cody Franson

To Carolina: Colin Wilson, Patric Hornqvist, Rights to MDZ, Stalberg(cap dump), Det 2014 2nd

To Nashville: Eric Staal, Danny Biega

Lineup
Moulson-E. Staal-Kessel
Forsberg-Jarnkrok-Smith
Cullen-Fisher-Soissons
Nystrom-Gaustad-Clune
Bourque

Weber-Josi
Ellis-Ekholm
Franson-Bartley
Biega

Rinne
Hutton

Payroll-$60,847,976
Without signing Hutton,Franson,Ellis,Ekholm

Next year when Fisher retires use that money to extend Smith and let Watson play 3rd line center.

This gives us a legit top line.
Any thoughts?

Well ain't no arguing that team. I'd try FF on that top line, you never know! But I really doubt any of this could happen sadly. I love the Kessel trade the most. Definitely okay with moving Jones for Kessle

SeventyOneTN

Oct 26, 2009
Well ain't no arguing that team. I'd try FF on that top line, you never know! But I really doubt any of this could happen sadly. I love the Kessel trade the most. Definitely okay with moving Jones for Kessle

Personally, I don't like any of the trade proposals involving Jones for Kessel. I think that is one we would regret for 15 years.

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis
Jones for Kessel would be a fantastic trade for Nashville, guy has been a PPG over the past three years and was by far the best American at the Olympics.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Personally, I don't like any of the trade proposals involving Jones for Kessel. I think that is one we would regret for 15 years.

No what we are going to regret in 15 years is wasting Rinne and Weber, unless we get some true offensive help in here for them.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
No what we are going to regret in 15 years is wasting Rinne and Weber, unless we get some true offensive help in here for them.

So sell off pieces at below market value? While Kessel is a good to great player, generational type players don't come along too often. If we were to trade Jones it has to be for a young center along the lines of a MacKinnon or Duchene or the value will never be there to justify the move.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
So sell off pieces at below market value? While Kessel is a good to great player, generational type players don't come along too often. If we were to trade Jones it has to be for a young center along the lines of a MacKinnon or Duchene or the value will never be there to justify the move.

We should make a Jones for Mackinnon petition :handclap:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think Jones has excellent potential, but he's being overrated here. An incredibly talented young player with first/elite defenseman potential, but a generational talent? I'd be surprised. The closest I can see currently in the game is perhaps a Doughty, and I don't even know that he gets to quite that level.

Don't really advocate such a swap, but Kessel would be an outstanding acquisition. Extremely durable (hasn't played less than 70 games in a "normal" season), and increased production every year until playing at above a PPG over the last 3 seasons. At 26, he would also be young enough to have an impact with the organization for many years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad