Line Combos: Build the 2013-14 starting line-up (Eller's left winger)

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Let's build together the Habs 2013-14 starting line-up. This would be an "injury free" line-up, so let's do as if Gionta and Emelin were ready to start on day one.

Try to build lines that work, instead of just voting for the best player for each position.

Between (brackets) is the normal position for this player. You can always vote to put a player in another position.

Time to pick the left winger on the Plekanec's line!

FORWARDS

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Brière
???? - Eller - ????
???? - Desharnais - ????
???? - White - ????
Extra : ????

DEFENSEMEN

???? - ????
???? - ????
???? - ????
Extra : ????

GOALERS

????
????

23rd player (forward or defense) : ????
--------------------------------
1st call-up (offense) : ????
2nd call-up (offense) : ????
3rd call-up (offense) : ????
1st call-up (defense) : ????
2nd call-up (defense) : ????
1st call-up (goaler) : ????

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
I'd like to see Chuckie on his wing for another year before he moves to center, hoping they get more ice time.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
The Chuckster.

I wanted to spread the skill around but Desharnais is going to need a big winger that goes to the dirty areas and Galchenyuk shouldn't be doing that on a consistent basis just yet.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
If this works out to Chuckie-Eller-Gallagher, that pretty much means Bourque-DD-Gionta, which has a lol of a price tag for a 3rd line that I wouldn't even have the utmost confidence in. So the question is, would I be cool with Chuckie-Eller-Gionta followed by Bourque-DD-Gallagher instead? And the answer is: no, not really.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
If this works out to Chuckie-Eller-Gallagher, that pretty much means Bourque-DD-Gionta, which has a lol of a price tag for a 3rd line that I wouldn't even have the utmost confidence in. So the question is, would I be cool with Chuckie-Eller-Gionta followed by Bourque-DD-Gallagher instead? And the answer is: no, not really.

I prefer the 2nd option. I don't think it's a good idea to pair DD and Gionta together.

I don't really like how the lines are being shaped right now. The Habs succeded last season because the offense was spread equally on 3 lines. Now it seems like people want to have a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd line. That just makes it easier for the opponent to counter, unless you have a Crosby or a Malkin on your 1st line.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
I prefer the 2nd option. I don't think it's a good idea to pair DD and Gionta together.

I don't really like how the lines are being shaped right now. The Habs succeded last season because the offense was spread equally on 3 lines. Now it seems like people want to have a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd line. That just makes it easier for the opponent to counter, unless you have a Crosby or a Malkin on your 1st line.

The thing with lines is that one nights 1st is tomorrows 3rd or 2nd depending on how the game is going, how hot/cold the line is or again whom you are playing against.

Reading this like line1, 2 and 3 is an oblique perspective. Lines are lines and essentially need to be able to bring degrees of offense while not being a liability defensively.

In the end, it all about balance within the line itself and the lines themselves.

And with the pieces we have - as of now - we do not have the proper balance. IMO, we are one piece removed and one added away of having good balance.

I know easier said than done, but we are missing sizeable grit and scoring in the top 9. We are missing a version of a motivated Erik Cole. That is no Gionta.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006

I do see Chucky-Eller-Gally. I do see DD-Bourque but we are lacking the LW to complement the line. Yes, LW, as I think Bourque would be better on the RW.

What would be a surprise is Leblanc. Let's say he is solid out of the gates of camp, then I could see:
Bourque-DD-Leblanc

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

FWIW, I wouldn't mind Gionta on that line. Not sure why we need to group all the kids together and all the vets together.

Either way, it's part of this poll game but generally speaking we try to balance or load up a line thinking we have it all figured out but people surprise(bad and good) and sometimes we'll see a bunch of midgets on same line killing it. Who knows.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I do see Chucky-Eller-Gally. I do see DD-Bourque but we are lacking the LW to complement the line. Yes, LW, as I think Bourque would be better on the RW.

What would be a surprise is Leblanc. Let's say he is solid out of the gates of camp, then I could see:
Bourque-DD-Leblanc

Or even better, get your hands somehow on a 4th liner that is tougher than the options we have at our disposal in the minors (I DON'T want to see Bournival or Leblanc on the fourth line) and use Prust in that spot until Gionta's return. Problem solved. Rosters should go on merit; Eller being rightfully promoted, and DD being rightfully downgraded due to last season. Why the same doesn't apply with Prust? Especially since I could see Prust compliment DD and Bourque very well, as Prust is surprisingly smart for a guy with his skillset.

But you're right on a point, though.

Leblanc should be set up to replace Gionta on the roster, starting next season.

elite1prospects

Jul 4, 2013

Bourque-DD-Leblanc

i'd rather have Gio on that line, lets face it he is not playing 4th line

Mumbo

Aug 6, 2013
Galchenyuk, I'd rather see him play with Eller than DD (and Bourque with DD rather than Eller).

so:

Patches - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Eller - Briere/Gally
Bourque - DD - Briere/Gally
Prust - White - Moen/Parros

maybe? I really like the Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher as the 2nd line but I doubt that either Gionta or Briere are getting paid that much to play on the 3rd.

Last edited:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Bourque-DD-Leblanc

Positively thought provoking twice in one small post. I commend you. Bourque on the right is interesting, and I'm not closing the door on Leblanc quite yet, either. Prust makes for an interesting ingredient. Elite1prospects is right though: Gionta ain't playin' no 4th line (at least not "regularly"). What would one even make of a Prust-DD-Bourque line, for example? lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad