Line Combos: Build the 2013-14 starting line-up (3rd pairing right defenseman)

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Let's build together the Habs 2013-14 starting line-up. This would be an "injury free" line-up, so let's do as if Gionta and Emelin were ready to start on day one.

Try to build lines that work, instead of just voting for the best player for each position.

Between (brackets) is the normal position for this player. You can always vote to put a player in another position.

Time to pick the 3rd pairing rightt defenseman!

FORWARDS

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Brière
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Bourque - Desharnais - Gionta
Prust - White - Moen
Extra : ????

DEFENSEMEN

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Murray - ????
Extra : ????

GOALIES

????
????

23rd player (forward or defense) : ????
--------------------------------
1st call-up (offense) : ????
2nd call-up (offense) : ????
3rd call-up (offense) : ????
4th call-up (offense) : ????
1st call-up (defense) : ????
2nd call-up (defense) : ????
3rd call-up (defense) : ????
1st call-up (goalie) : ????

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I think Diaz is the logical choice, and Bouillon the 7th D, but sorrily, I think Bouillon will play regularly, again... (he's not that bad, and still mobile, but he's old... )

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I would have loved to say Pateryn because he has all the physical tools we need but I doubt that he is close to being ready... so I went with Diaz. I see Drewiske as our #7 man until Emelin returns. When that happens, there could be a lot of shuffling of bodies and someone will be displaced. It would likely be Drewiske but Emelin's return could also give rise to a trade.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I would have loved to say Pateryn because he has all the physical tools we need but I doubt that he is close to being ready... so I went with Diaz. I see Drewiske as our #7 man until Emelin returns. When that happens, there could be a lot of shuffling of bodies and someone will be displaced. It would likely be Drewiske but Emelin's return could also give rise to a trade.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
We need offense, Diaz brings that. We'd have trouble getting the puck out our zone with Murray, Gorges and Pateryn in our top 6. Our PP units would be pathetic too. We should base ourself on the way St. Louis and LA have built their D.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

Drewiske 7th in front of Bouillon ?

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
My bet is gonna be we start the season with these pairings:

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Tinordi
Murray - Diaz
Bouillon

LD call up: Drewiske/Beaulieu
RD call up: Pateryn

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
I would have loved to say Pateryn because he has all the physical tools we need but I doubt that he is close to being ready...

I do have high hopes for him. But his window of opportunity to make it to the big league will be short.

Considering our depth and at least 3-4 quality d-men in the prospect pool, he better capitalize in the very near future.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Diaz will start, but I doubt he finishes the season. We have Pateryn who's bigger, and Nygren who has way more potential IMO.

I'd be surprised if Pateryn sees more NHL action than he did last year (or a proportional ~6 games over a full season, maybe), and would be surprised if Nygren wasn't given almost all of next year to get comfortable in his N.Am. transition in Hamilton. Injuries change everything, of course, but I'm guessing Pateryn won't be quite good enough, and Nygren won't be quite ready.

axman88

Apr 5, 2007
Gionta - Plekanec - Bourque
Paciorrety - Desharnais - Briere
Paross - Prust - Moen/White

Markov - Gorges
Murray - Subban
Tinordi/Diaz - Bouillon

edit: When Emeilin comes back he starts off by taking Bouillon's position and then works his way back up to playing with Markov

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
Gionta - Plekanec - Bourque
Paciorrety - Desharnais - Briere
Paross - Prust - Moen/White

Markov - Gorges
Murray - Subban
Tinordi/Diaz - Bouillon

edit: When Emeilin comes back he starts off by taking Bouillon's position and then works his way back up to playing with Markov

There's no way Gio will be on the LW while Bourque is on the RW when both of them are on the same line.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Murray-Diaz seems like a perfect fit. Same thing with Tinordi.

But yeah, me too I expect Diaz to be traded at some point, even more if Nygren proves he's NHL calibre.
Remember, we have a lot of depth and Bergevin has been looking for some crazy trades last few months.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
With all our defensive problems, I'd say its time to give a bigger role to Emelin. PP, PK, ES. Make him our 2nd Dman.

I love the hate for Diaz.

He was our best Dman with Subban out.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
With all our defensive problems, I'd say its time to give a bigger role to Emelin. PP, PK, ES. Make him our 2nd Dman.

I hope he can get back to that level of play. When he came back from his concussion he was a totally different player.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

The only productive thing Diaz did for us last season was to give Markov the puck. I swear all of his points before his injury were on Markov's hotstreak and fancy plays.

He's ridiculously soft too, often falling by himself without any reason, losing the puck for no particular reason, and VERY often losing his man in front of the net.

I WOULD hope Diaz will be paired with Murray though, as they look like they're very complementary. But I want no part of him with another small d-man. He must play with Emelin or Murray. I'd still rather Murray, who's even more of a stay-at-home than Emelin, who occasionally goes for the big hit or for the risky pinch*.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I'd be surprised if Pateryn sees more NHL action than he did last year (or a proportional ~6 games over a full season, maybe), and would be surprised if Nygren wasn't given almost all of next year to get comfortable in his N.Am. transition in Hamilton. Injuries change everything, of course, but I'm guessing Pateryn won't be quite good enough, and Nygren won't be quite ready.

I think he comes in depending on injuries. If Markov goes down and Beaulieu looks weak, then I think we would see Nygren. I really want to watch him play this pre-season, I hope all the positive things I read turn out to be truth and not simply optimism.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
FORWARDS

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Brière
Bourque - Desharnais - Gionta
Prust - White - Moen
Extra : Parros

DEFENSEMEN

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Murray - Diaz
Extra : Bouillon

GOALIES

Price
Budaj

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The only productive thing Diaz did for us last season was to give Markov the puck. I swear all of his points before his injury were on Markov's hotstreak and fancy plays.

He's ridiculously soft too, often falling by himself without any reason, losing the puck for no particular reason, and VERY often losing his man in front of the net.

I WOULD hope Diaz will be paired with Murray though, as they look like they're very complementary. But I want no part of him with another small d-man. He must play with Emelin or Murray. I'd still rather Murray, who's even more of a stay-at-home than Emelin, who occasionally goes for the big hit or for the risky pinch*.
You're being irrational here. He did more than just 'give' the puck to Markov. He's probably our best defenseman at getting the puck to the net on a consistent basis, he rarely misses the net unlike the likes of Spacek and Subban who love to make a big sound by hitting the boards after a wide shot. He also has the best wrist shot out of all of our defenseman. He has good mobility and rarely gets caught pinching.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

There's no hate. Pateryn is bigger amd Nygren has a cannon that we need + he won SEL's best defensmen award.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
There's no hate. Pateryn is bigger amd Nygren has a cannon that we need + he won SEL's best defensmen award.
The things you say about Nygren can be said about Diaz too. Just replace the SHL with the NLA. I have a feeling that Nygren won't be anything more than an Anton Stralman, which is not bad for a 4th round pick.

GRECOHAB

Jun 1, 2013
If we want to take a realistic approach to the potential of our defenders then i think that we have:
1st pairing D: Subban
2nd pairing D: Markov,Emelin,Gorges
3rd pairing D: Diaz,Murray,Tinordi,Beaulieu
7th-8th D: Bouillion,Drewiske,Pateryn
Prospects: Nygren, Dietz, Ellis
As we can see a lot of 2nd and 3rd pairing players, but no one capable of playing top minutes with Subban. Of course they can be players like Markov and Gorges that can be used at the 1st line but i think that this isn't the solution we need.

I like the Markov-Emelin tandem as the 2nd unit, and i think while Emelin is out we can use Tinordi who will thrive, no doubt under Markov's mentoring. This means that Gorges either gets promoted to the 1st pairing unit, or relegates to the 3rd, which is quite unlikely for the money he makes.

I also like a Diaz-Murray tandem at the 3rd pairing unit, not only because they seem to pair well on paper (puck mover-stay at home) but also because they keep both Bouillion and Drewiske at the 7th,8th D role. The rest of the prospects should try to gather experience and make the Hamilton team harder to play against.

My personal feeling is that we need that top minute guy to play with Subban and the only way to do it is via trade. We are in a situation that we can package two defenders or a defender and a forward or prospect, in order to land a player of that calibre. Available to me are Gorges, Diaz, Beaulieu,Bouillion,Drewiske (D) and Moen, Desharnais, White, Bourque, Leblanc (F). My personal suggestions depending availability and teams needs, are:

Yandle (PHX) for Bourque+Moen+Beaulieu+2nd round pick
Pitkanen (CAR) for Diaz+Bouillion+Moen
Burns (SJS) for Bourque+Diaz+Beaulieu
Ericsson (DET) for Diaz+Drewiske+Leblanc
Byfuglien (WPG) for Desharnais+Diaz+Leblanc

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Ericsson is terrible. I wouldn't trade Diaz straight up for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->