Buffon vs. Neuer

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Not sure if one of them is the best GK of all time

But between the 2 I'll go with Buffon; he is such a likable dude, that smile is constagious

I can't stand Neuer

Yeah I'm a bit biased lol

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Instinctively, I was to vote for Buffon. But after looking up each individual awards (which I consider somewhat similar, although Buffon compiled more accolades), I thought both were basically even. Neuer being voted third best player in 2014 only behind Messi and C. Ronaldo - two all-time elite players - did impress me slightly more as peak than Buffon's runner-up in 2006 behind Cannavaro. Therefore I ended up voting for Neuer, who I project to compile at least a similar number of accolades like Buffon and considered a better choice as best player of WC 2014 than Messi (like Robben). However, this seems to be a discussion where every opinion will have its merits - unless it contains the AINEC phrase...

Gruß,
BSHH

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Instinctively, I was to vote for Buffon. But after looking up each individual awards (which I consider somewhat similar, although Buffon compiled more accolades), I thought both were basically even. Neuer being voted third best player in 2014 only behind Messi and C. Ronaldo - two all-time elite players - did impress me slightly more as peak than Buffon's runner-up in 2006 behind Cannavaro. Therefore I ended up voting for Neuer, who I project to compile at least a similar number of accolades like Buffon and considered a better choice as best player of WC 2014 than Messi (like Robben). However, this seems to be a discussion where every opinion will have its merits - unless it contains the AINEC phrase...

Gruß,
BSHH

Funny you mention the 2014 World Cup Golden Ball, as Neuer was, for me at least, the third best performer for Germany in that tournament. I personally would've given the Golden Ball (if not to Robben, who I think was robbed) to Mats Hummels.

I think your post sums a lot up nicely. It's incredibly close and very subjective.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Usually in comparisions like these, the established legend wins over the one that's still building his legacy. Buffon is understandably seen as rather completed legacy, whereas Neuer is still merely on his way. That said, his acolades given that point of his path are beyond impressive, and he won't just go down as one of the all-time greats, he'll have a revolutionary interpretation of the position to his name. I'd be surprised if he wasn't winning this poll in 20 years.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Depends on how long Neuer lasts. His influence on the evolution of the sweeper-keeper and general dominance are there; especially if he adds more hardware with the NT before he's in his golden years.

But gigi has just been so good, for so long, that Neuer will need another decade of elite goalkeeping to make it a fair argument.

He's the GOAT, neither Buffon or Neuer are topping him any time soon. But Gigi v Neuer's an interesting one to speculate about ATM.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The thing with Yashin is that it's not really verifiable because we didn't watch him play and to be honest, with goalkeeping it's kinda subjective anyway. We say Yashin only because we've been reading articles saying he's the best goalkeeper of all time since we've been kids. So it's kinda become the conventional answer and I guess in North America it would be somewhat of a 'hipster' answer.

With regards to Buffon, you gotta wonder in how far Italian goalkeepers look perhaps a bit better than they are because of the way their teams play. Neuer meanwhile has been a GK for pretty free-wheeling high-risk teams.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Funny you mention the 2014 World Cup Golden Ball, as Neuer was, for me at least, the third best performer for Germany in that tournament. I personally would've given the Golden Ball (if not to Robben, who I think was robbed) to Mats Hummels.

I think your post sums a lot up nicely. It's incredibly close and very subjective.

indeed, definitely the best german player at the WC.

hard to go against Buffon right now considering his crazy long career.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Not at all... overrated after a very good game against Spain.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
What I like about Neuer is how against Chelsea in the Champions League final while his teammates were afraid to a take a penalty, he stepped up and delivered. I also find him more entertaining to watch.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
indeed, definitely the best german player at the WC.

hard to go against Buffon right now considering his crazy long career.

Not to argue about the poll, but Buffon was Italy's best player in the 2006 WC. He also had a much better year than Cannavaro (who sucked for half the season with Real).

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
good case can be made for both but i hate both their faces so wont be able to click on either of them

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Might be biased but really can't go wrong with Buffon. Still remember to this day his debut as a 19 yrs old with Italy for WC 1998 qualifier against Russia, in Russia, under the snow, and made a couple of terrific saves to ensure a draw under difficult conditions.

20 years later and he's still a top 5 goalie, won everything he could win and still have the drive to play at the top level. He's simply a legend. Have huge respect for him.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
good case can be made for both but i hate both their faces so wont be able to click on either of them

How could one hate Buffon. I can understand Neuer with his Messi comments and arrogance, but Buffon?!

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Attaching as I do far too much important to non-football related matters to footballers when judging them, I find myself drawn to one possible answer to this question. Despite when younger attaching some ill-founded mistrust to Buffon as a keeper his longevity is surely without equal, especially given his renaissance over the past 2/3 years. Even considering comments before about the teams he's played on and the cultural proclivities therein, there can be little doubting of his ability of his ability as a player and as a leader which he has been throughout his whole career. To have maintained this while looking suave as **** in the process (minus his apparent fondness for short sleeves, the truest mark of insanity in a goalkeeper) and while maintaining a legitimate connection to the re-establishment of his club in the process is what elevates him beyond merely a talented player.

Neuer on the other hand - his complete lack of acknowledgement of Frank Lampard's "goal" in 2010 aside which was magnificent - would give me three heart attacks per game if I was his manager, or make me scream one of my lungs out, or both. This recent infatuation with the concept of the 'sweeper-keeper' can be blamed entirely on him. I can say truthfully I have scarcely seen something so mind-boggling on a football pitch. Coming out to the halfway line to play the ball. Sorry son, if you get bored and want a touch go play fives with your mates or play for a team which isn't several times bigger than most of the others in its league put together. Goalkeepers are for stopping shots, not having a wander because they feel left out. He also has a funny nose.

Gianluigi+Buffon+Short+Hairstyles+Short+Side+eHcQnSKZupnx.jpg

vs.

Manuel_Neuer_2012_(cropped).jpg

no contest imo

Might be biased but really can't go wrong with Buffon. Still remember to this day his debut as a 19 yrs old with Italy for WC 1998 qualifier against Russia, in Russia, under the snow, and made a couple of terrific saves to ensure a draw under difficult conditions.

20 years later and he's still a top 5 goalie, won everything he could win and still have the drive to play at the top level. He's simply a legend. Have huge respect for him.

Well, not quite.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I see I've not actually answered the original question. Neuer, unquestionably yet erroneously (probably).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->