Speculation: Buffalo wins the draft lottery

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I have only seen the top 3 on tv and read all the commercial scouting reports so what I have to say is based on others opinions and limited viewing. That said Jones has not impressed me as being either a real tough defensive dman nor a great pp qb. He may be well rounded but he does not stand out as a game breaker. Drouin seems to be explosive as hell and worth considering--but a decent 2 way centre with first line upside is still needed--someone who works tirelessly, in both ends of the ice, and produces as well. So despite the WJCs I would like him of the top 3--I would flip the number one ONLY if Mac was available. That said maybe Monahan or Lindholm or Barkov would sell if we got enough back--mid first or elite prospect..to go with the pick that gets us one of those... Sounds greedy.....

Elum

Jan 30, 2013
I'll be completely honest with you and say that if our forward corps of the future looked something along the lines of:

Ennis - Hodgeson - Armia
Larrson - Grigorenko - Armia
Ott - Mackinnon - Foligno
Flynn - Girgensons - Adam

I wouldn't complain too badly.

No Tropp? Unless he was supposed to replace one of the Armias lol.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
Not with a straight face.

Sure I could because I believe that. I just don't see what everyone is gushing about in regards to Jones. Like I said before and jfb has said on multiple occasions, I see Jones as a Myers clone; you don't take that player at #1, you're thrilled to get him later like we did with Myers. He's not a certainty like people make him out to be in my opinion.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Sure I could because I believe that. I just don't see what everyone is gushing about in regards to Jones. Like I said before and jfb has said on multiple occasions, I see Jones as a Myers clone; you don't take that player at #1, you're thrilled to get him later like we did with Myers. He's not a certainty like people make him out to be in my opinion.
The hype is likely mostly because he's almost NHL ready, which is rare for a defenseman, although he's a late 94 birth.
I have a feeling we'll see more defenseman being ready earlier though, so it won't be that unique.
In fact, we already are to some degree due to kids being on sharper development curves (training at earlier ages, increases in quality of coaching, etc.).

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
The hype is likely mostly because he's almost NHL ready, which is rare for a defenseman, although he's a late 94 birth.
I have a feeling we'll see more defenseman being ready earlier though, so it won't be that unique.
In fact, we already are to some degree due to kids being on sharper development curves (training at earlier ages, increases in quality of coaching, etc.).

Makes sense, I've been thinking that it's a negative that he's older than most of the players in the draft, including almost a full year older than MacKinnon, but I guess in the short term it would be somewhat of an advantage being older so he's closer to being NHL ready. Thanks.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I've seen seth a few times this year. And as jfb said some games you dont even really notice him but then there are games when you watch him play and are like theres no chance anyone should go ahead of him. The inconsistency worries me a lil bit. If we have no.1 i want mac.

captaincrunch89

Jan 13, 2011
North Tonawanda
Voted Mackinnon, no brainer here, most complete forward in the draft. Wouldn't complain if we were 2nd/3rd and took either Jones or Drouin but if we're at 1 it has to be Mac.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I've seen seth a few times this year. And as jfb said some games you dont even really notice him but then there are games when you watch him play and are like theres no chance anyone should go ahead of him. The inconsistency worries me a lil bit. If we have no.1 i want mac.
He was always the same way with the NTDP.
He wouldn't be noticeable and then he'd blast a big slapshot and the scouts would come out and say "wow, he's Chris Pronger" and "best defenseman I've ever seen at the U18 level".
Seems like confirmation bias to me, as they built up a certain image in their heads.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Nope, it's the Sabres' pick no matter what.

Don't look now. Columbus winning. Big game in Minny Saturday. Tough on back to back to win. Still a long shot, for sure. But imagine if Miinny slips out of playoffs. What a deal! If that happens. And, doesn't every team which misses playoffs, have shot at lottery this year?

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
Since when is a D-man going unnoticed in a game considered a bad thing? I was under the impression that it was an indicator that he's doing his job. Or are we expecting Erik Karlsson type levels of 'puck dominance' out of Jones?

Someone please elaborate.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Since when is a D-man going unnoticed in a game considered a bad thing? I was under the impression that it was an indicator that he's doing his job. Or are we expecting Erik Karlsson type levels of 'puck dominance' out of Jones?

Someone please elaborate.
Well, we're talking about junior and tournaments, not the NHL.
He tries to primarily be an offensive defenseman, so he should be noticeable almost every game at those levels.
It's not like I haven't zeroed in on him and dissected him shift by shift too.

Sure, he has some great tools, but things just feel a bit too forced for me at times.
I've just seen him too many things I don't like to put him on the pedestal many have.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00