NHL Buffalo Wins NHL Draft Lottery

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
This wasn't the worse possible outcome, but probably the second worst. Would've preferred Carolina, Buffalo, Montreal. Still think Buffalo is quite a ways away, but they'll probably beat us 3 times next year.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Sabres will still suck with Dahlin
Sabres need to retool something because they get good players but then can’t put it together. They are the Oilers of the east.

Dahlin sounds like he’s gonna be good.

Atlantic is going to become super competitive within the next few years,

Habs still look awful but Panthers, Sabres, and on paper Sabres are up and coming. Not sure Habs or Ottawa improve much unless they have some amazing prospects in the pipeline.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Buffalo has their core. Next year should be the last of their bad salaries. I'm not sure Eichel is worth 10 mil per but what other choice do they have?

They only need to sign a couple good vets as UFAs and the team will be very good. The high end pieces are the hardest to get Dahlin could be the best D man in the NHL sooner than people think. Its easy to fill out a blue line around a talent like that and Ristolainen/Scandella are good players.

Still good news Montreal didn't get him.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Just relieved as hell that the Habs are picking third. Wandered over to their board and it seems @EverettMike agrees based on the number of posts he liked on the first page of the lottery thread :laugh:
Don't they still have 4-5 more years of Claude? That pick was going to sit or play on the fourth line with two washed-up players anyways.

Speaking of Claude, I wonder what low-level talent got over-used by him in Montreal this season?

Reactions: Krupp

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yeah, look at how McAvoy has impacted the Bruins already, Dahlin is 1-2 tiers ahead of him.

I'm not expecting much from them next year, maybe a fight for WC spot if all goes well but after that they should be a real playoff contender. They have the core players now, just adding depth and waiting Dahlin to develop.

Montreal needs to rebuild their defense so I'm not that worried about them, add that their GM is Bergevin, Detroit is a mess as well.

How are you getting that Dahlin is 1-2 tiers ahead of McAvoy? He’s a fantastic prospect at this point, that’s it. Why don’t we wait until he transitions to the NHL and plays some games before we put him in the HHOF.

The biggest thing about McAvoy was that he was able to make a pretty seamless transition from the NCAA to the NHL (if anything he was a little better as a pro). That’s the unusual part, and until a prospect does it, they are still just a prospect.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
How are you getting that Dahlin is 1-2 tiers ahead of McAvoy? He’s a fantastic prospect at this point, that’s it. Why don’t we wait until he transitions to the NHL and plays some games before we put him in the HHOF.

The biggest thing about McAvoy was that he was able to make a pretty seamless transition from the NCAA to the NHL (if anything he was a little better as a pro). That’s the unusual part, and until a prospect does it, they are still just a prospect.

As a prospect, he's special.

He has experience playing against men and is 6'2, I doubt we have to wait too long for his impact.
I'm not expecting lights out play next year but on his +2 season he could be a #1D already.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
As a prospect, he's special.

He has experience playing against men and is 6'2, I doubt we have to wait too long for his impact.
I'm not expecting lights out play next year but on his +2 season he could be a #1D already.

McAvoy has almost 30 pounds on him, and was more prepared for the physical part of the game.

I’m not disputing that Dahlin is the top rated prospect, but I have been around long enough that I have heard the “next Karlsson” or the next “Lidstrom” talk before. Look no further than EK’s draft year in 2008 when six D were taken before him, including Colton Tuebert and Luke Schenn.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
McAvoy has almost 30 pounds on him, and was more prepared for the physical part of the game.

I’m not disputing that Dahlin is the top rated prospect, but I have been around long enough that I have heard the “next Karlsson” or the next “Lidstrom” talk before. Look no further than EK’s draft year in 2008 when six D were taken before him, including Colton Tuebert and Luke Schenn.

I understand he's a prospect but I really don't see a weakness in him that would limit his game/transition.

Like I said before he's 6'2(189cm)& has played 2 years against men already, which is massive. If we look at Ekblad vs Dahlin Dahlin is on a different level, Ekblad's skating is limiting his potential/impact badly, where as Dahlin is an elite skater with elite hands.
Werenski/Provorov/McAvoy are examples of where todays top kids can play 1st pair role on their 2nd years already.
Like McD he makes plays you shouldn't be able to.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Well, considering Buffalo got screwed over (As well as arizona) in the McDavid sweepstakes, I guess I should say congratulations?

It was a good mini-rivalry with them when Buffalo had a talented roster. Maybe that can happen again in a year or two.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
There is Dahlin and then there is everybody else from what I read. "Best defenseman coming out in a decade" says one report. Think about that one.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
great post

I look at the B`s, recently did, what I feel is the toughest thing to do in the NHL, especially without a top 5 pick and that`s rebuild/restock on the fly, try and remain competitive while stocking up the prospect cupboard. Now, one thing the B`s have that most of the teams in the lotter don`t are a still terrific core so that certainly helped expedite things but that aside, this lineup had a bunch of rooks in the lineup this year, all who contributed big time with one who I`m looking forward to who missed most of the year in Bjork.
I’m still pretty sad that Bjork was injured. We kind of forget about him now, but he really pushed for his spot and shined before his injury.

I think the Bruins retool came from some pretty good scouting. I don’t think they were just looking for a projected best player but a player that also fit a certain mindset.

They’ve got a pretty good prospect pool that still hasn’t cracked the line up.

I do think to truly build a successful team the key is finding the right supporting cast for your star players.

Buffalo and the Oilers are examples of teams that just don’t seem to have figured this out. I also think the Leafs often fall into this trap but may be starting to figure it out (their off season moves may showbif they’re getting it or not).

I think the current Pens do a pretty good job of signing the right supporting cast for their stars and whether you like Kessel or not, it was a good move to acquire him.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I’m still pretty sad that Bjork was injured. We kind of forget about him now, but he really pushed for his spot and shined before his injury.

I think the Bruins retool came from some pretty good scouting. I don’t think they were just looking for a projected best player but a player that also fit a certain mindset.

They’ve got a pretty good prospect pool that still hasn’t cracked the line up.

I do think to truly build a successful team the key is finding the right supporting cast for your star players.

Buffalo and the Oilers are examples of teams that just don’t seem to have figured this out. I also think the Leafs often fall into this trap but may be starting to figure it out (their off season moves may showbif they’re getting it or not).

I think the current Pens do a pretty good job of signing the right supporting cast for their stars and whether you like Kessel or not, it was a good move to acquire him.

I saw some really nice things from Bjork, I think, much like Donato, he`ll be a prospect who will need to improve away from the puck but both are so young, and they both appear to be very teachable kids so I`m not worried.

To me, in this day and age, if your team isn`t strong up the middle, the rest is null and void. Obviously stability in net and on the blueline are all big keys but if you have only one C who opponents need to be concerned about, your already behind the 8 ball.

The Leafs, IMO, will likely shift Nylander to the dot next year where I think he`s more comfortable however, not so sure about his game defensively as I haven`t seen him enough in that spot to assess.

The Leafs biggest challenge might be due to being forced to have an eye on the cap. They have some youth who`ll be cashing in big time and I don`t think they can go big in the UFA pool and I`m not convinced that Babcock is a guy who is one players line up to play for.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

One advantage McAvoy had was his size. He was already man sized, which I think helps young Dmen transition to playing with men.

Dahlin from what I understand is also pretty big right now. Isn’t he also playing in an adult league?

My guess he Dahlin isn’t being overrated. He’s going to be good. The real question will Buffalo get their $%#^ together and build a good team. They have massive talent and are getting more.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I saw some really nice things from Bjork, I think, much like Donato, he`ll be a prospect who will need to improve away from the puck but both are so young, and they both appear to be very teachable kids so I`m not worried.

To me, in this day and age, if your team isn`t strong up the middle, the rest is null and void. Obviously stability in net and on the blueline are all big keys but if you have only one C who opponents need to be concerned about, your already behind the 8 ball.

The Leafs, IMO, will likely shift Nylander to the dot next year where I think he`s more comfortable however, not so sure about his game defensively as I haven`t seen him enough in that spot to assess.

The Leafs biggest challenge might be due to being forced to have an eye on the cap. They have some youth who`ll be cashing in big time and I don`t think they can go big in the UFA pool and I`m not convinced that Babcock is a guy who is one players line up to play for.
I agree on Babcock.

I also think the game is changing and Babcock isn’t changing with it (same problem for Julien). It’s getting faster and more skilled and due to the cap teams have to incorporate more youth, and cap management is now a huge component of building a contender.

Not sure how the Leafs will balance their books, but every GM has to work that cap. Chiarelli fell into some cap management traps and most were his own making.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
One advantage McAvoy had was his size. He was already man sized, which I think helps young Dmen transition to playing with men.

Dahlin from what I understand is also pretty big right now. Isn’t he also playing in an adult league?

My guess he Dahlin isn’t being overrated. He’s going to be good. The real question will Buffalo get their $%#^ together and build a good team. They have massive talent and are getting more.

I think Dahlin is probably very good.

My only point was that every prospect makes the transition to the NHL differently, so I would not say that Dahlin was 1/2 tiers above McAvoy (whatever the f*** that means), as the poster I was responding to did.

The other thing we have seen is that even the best prospects benefit from some veteran mentoring, and I'm not sure BUF has that part in place at this time?

Reactions: TCL40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad