NHL Buffalo Wins NHL Draft Lottery

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Sabres are a mess. Dahlin is amazing but I think it's going to take a lot more than that.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
This is Buffalo’s first-ever first overall, no? I’m kinda happy for them and their fans. The Sabres, however, will be bad for another year or two (while still building a good nucleus from all that sucking).

I’m just grateful that Edmonton didn’t win the lottery again.

Reactions: BiGBear8

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well... They were the worst this season.

There will be a time when the Bruins have to suck again to get better, but now is not that time.

I've called this division a nightmare before and it just got worse. The battles for playoffs will be crazy for years.
Buffalo has an insane duo to build around.

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Sabres are a mess. Dahlin is amazing but I think it's going to take a lot more than that.
It always does in hockey.

This isn’t the NBA where you tank for the savior. There are lots of ways to build it.

It takes a combination of luck and resource management.

Sucking at the right time is only one part of the climb. You have to identify the guys to keep and retool effectively in order to avoid the doldrums.

And when your Cup window does open, you have to cash in.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It always does in hockey.

This isn’t the NBA where you tank for the savior. There are lots of ways to build it.

It takes a combination of luck and resource management.

Sucking at the right time is only one part of the climb. You have to identify the guys to keep and retool effectively in order to avoid the doldrums.

And when your Cup window does open, you have to cash in.

great post

I look at the B`s, recently did, what I feel is the toughest thing to do in the NHL, especially without a top 5 pick and that`s rebuild/restock on the fly, try and remain competitive while stocking up the prospect cupboard. Now, one thing the B`s have that most of the teams in the lotter don`t are a still terrific core so that certainly helped expedite things but that aside, this lineup had a bunch of rooks in the lineup this year, all who contributed big time with one who I`m looking forward to who missed most of the year in Bjork.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Don't matter, the Sabres aren't going anywhere with lousy goaltending and their "leader" the great Jack Eichel, who loves to call out his team for &^%%^-poor efforts, then goes out and floats around all game waiting for someone to get him the puck. Real winner he is.

Reactions: Zillah and BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Don't matter, the Sabres aren't going anywhere with lousy goaltending and their "leader" the great Jack Eichel, who loves to call out his team for &^%%^-poor efforts, then goes out and floats around all game waiting for someone to get him the puck. Real winner he is.

Leader, the only way to describe Eichel:sarcasm:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
People say this every year and yet here we are. Buffalo has been beyond terrible even with Eichel. Adding 1 young defenseman isn't going to launch them to the top

Not next year, but their team was screaming for a D-man and they get a guy who has the potential to be the best D-man in this league.

Happy for Carolina though, they finally get a potential offensive game changer.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Not next year, but their team was screaming for a D-man and they get a guy who has the potential to be the best D-man in this league.

Happy for Carolina though, they finally get a potential offensive game changer.

They were the worst team in the league. 3rd worst in GA and the only team to score less than 200 goals. Their team is screaming for everything

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
People say this every year and yet here we are. Buffalo has been beyond terrible even with Eichel. Adding 1 young defenseman isn't going to launch them to the top

Yeah I don't see it either. Nor do I see the Atlantic Division as something to be feared.

Montreal - wallowing in decades of mediocrity with no end in sight.

Detroit - some decent young players there, but nothing to really build around.

Ottawa - about to lose their franchise D-man in Karlsson

Florida - Meh, they are OK but I don't see them as some emerging powerhouse.

Buffalo - Not convinced they are headed in the right direction even with Dahlin

Toronto - We own them

TB - Looks like we own them too

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They were the worst team in the league. 3rd worst in GA and the only team to score less than 200 goals. Their team is screaming for everything

Adding a potential Karlsson fixes quite a bit of that longterm.

They need to address the depth, but that's easier than getting those 2 players to build around.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

They have some pretty good young players to really build with and now they have that future #1 defenseman (who goes along with their #1 center). After the equal sign is either their position or their potential.

Dahlin = #1 Defenseman (18 YO)
Eichel = #1 Center (21 YO)
Mittelstadt = #2/3 Center (19 YO)
Reinhart = Top 6 RW (22 YO)
Nylander = Top 6 Wing (20 YO)

O'Reilly = #2 Center (27 YO)
Ristolainen = Top 4 Defenseman (23 YO)
Okposo = Top 6 RW (30 YO)
Scandella = Top 4 D (28 YO)

Are they there yet? No...Definitely need more pieces at W, D, and a goalie, but they are starting to build something there.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yeah I don't see it either. Nor do I see the Atlantic Division as something to be feared.

Montreal - wallowing in decades of mediocrity with no end in sight.

Detroit - some decent young players there, but nothing to really build around.

Ottawa - about to lose their franchise D-man in Karlsson

Florida - Meh, they are OK but I don't see them as some emerging powerhouse.

Buffalo - Not convinced they are headed in the right direction even with Dahlin

Toronto - We own them

TB - Looks like we own them too

agree with most but I think Florida is onto something, the issue for them is they took a major step back when they moved Tallon from being in control then the other jackwagons handled the Gallant situation horrendously and the rest of the decisions were made by those incapable of tying their own shoes. It took a while for Dale to right the ship again

There is some terrific talent there and a guy in Tallon who knows his stuff

Not sure we "own" Toronto but the Leafs have loads of terrific young talent, where they might struggle is they clearly require some veteran pieces that can be expensive, combine that with having to pay Matthews/Marner and Co.....

All that said, when I look at the B`s cupboard of prospects and their core already in the NHL, we`ll be right there with all of them when it comes to offering competitive teams

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
This is Buffalo’s first-ever first overall, no? I’m kinda happy for them and their fans. The Sabres, however, will be bad for another year or two (while still building a good nucleus from all that sucking).

I’m just grateful that Edmonton didn’t win the lottery again.
I was more worried the hated habs were going get number pick...im ok with Buff.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Just relieved as hell that the Habs are picking third. Wandered over to their board and it seems @EverettMike agrees based on the number of posts he liked on the first page of the lottery thread :laugh:

Reactions: EverettMike

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They have some pretty good young players to really build with and now they have that future #1 defenseman (who goes along with their #1 center). After the equal sign is either their position or their potential.

Dahlin = #1 Defenseman (18 YO)
Eichel = #1 Center (21 YO)
Mittelstadt = #2/3 Center (19 YO)
Reinhart = Top 6 RW (22 YO)
Nylander = Top 6 Wing (20 YO)

O'Reilly = #2 Center (27 YO)
Ristolainen = Top 4 Defenseman (23 YO)
Okposo = Top 6 RW (30 YO)
Scandella = Top 4 D (28 YO)

Are they there yet? No...Definitely need more pieces at W, D, and a goalie, but they are starting to build something there.

Yeah, look at how McAvoy has impacted the Bruins already, Dahlin is 1-2 tiers ahead of him.

I'm not expecting much from them next year, maybe a fight for WC spot if all goes well but after that they should be a real playoff contender. They have the core players now, just adding depth and waiting Dahlin to develop.

Montreal needs to rebuild their defense so I'm not that worried about them, add that their GM is Bergevin, Detroit is a mess as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad