Proposal: Buffalo/Tampa Bay

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Tampa can sign DeMelo(if he even reaches ufa) without losing a valuable piece like Cirelli. Trading guys with less cap hit contracts that aren't integral(Jeannot, Sheary, Perbix) provides enough room for most of what Tampa needs. There's 0 guarantees that trading Cirelli for a pick+prospect gets them who they need, and then they have to replace Cirelli as well in the top 6. Aside from Cirelli for Byram, there hasn't been a single realistic deal in this thread that JBB should remotely consider, especially with a team in the division.

You know that's not realistic either right ?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Why isn’t that realistic?
Because you're not getting Byram for Cirelli especially given salaries. Cirelli is the top player on my wishlist for the Sabres make no mistake, but someone giving you equal value for him and providing you with the cap space is adequate. No one is gonna overpay you for him. If you guys are hellbent on his value then keep doing cap gymnastics, lose depth, lose Stamkos etc. There's gotta be a 1% chance our GM aquires Byram then turns around and gives him away for a Mitts equivalent who makes more than Byram/Mitts not even 30 games after getting him.

I'm not shitting on Cirelli or anything quite the opposite but his contract and your cap situation and need to resign your franchise captain and icon and/OR add depth to continue with your current core is a real thing. I think people offering top a top 12 (at worst) unprotected pick + all the while providing cap breathing room are closer to reality than thinking Adams turns around and flips Byram is.....personally and respectfully.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Because you're not getting Byram for Cirelli especially given salaries. Cirelli is the top player on my wishlist for the Sabres make no mistake, but someone giving you equal value for him and providing you with the cap space is adequate. No one is gonna overpay you for him. If you guys are hellbent on his value then keep doing cap gymnastics, lose depth, lose Stamkos etc. There's gotta be a 1% chance our GM aquires Byram then turns around and gives him away for a Mitts equivalent who makes more than Byram/Mitts not even 30 games after getting him.

I'm not shitting on Cirelli or anything quite the opposite but his contract and your cap situation and need to resign your franchise captain and icon and/OR add depth to continue with your current core is a real thing. I think people offering top a top 12 (at worst) unprotected pick + all the while providing cap breathing room are closer to reality than thinking Adams turns around and flips Byram is.....personally and respectfully.
Tampa doesn't have e to move him, period. They absolutely shouldn't be moving him unless they get what they want in return. There are other dmen Tampa should focus in anyway, either through trade or ufa. No need to move Cirelli to Buffalo.

Tampa is also more than able to clear enough cap with lesser moves to improve the roster. Whether Brisebois is willing to take the big hit on trading Jeannot for peanuts, after what he paid for him, is another story. Sheary should also be moved, and if Tampa is going to add an RD, they should trade Perbix as well. They can have approximately 17.5 in cap space after these potential moves. They can still re-sign Stamkos and a ufa dman in the range of DeMelo, while.filling in several spots(mostly 2 or 3 F spots in the bottom 6/extra F), with a combination of Syracuse promotions and cheaper ufa's like Motte. The final F spot would take a hit, as the room wouldn't be there for some of the options, but dependent on exact contract values for other players, they could still spend around 3 on a middle 6 F that could play up. Until Stamkos re-signs and Tampa either signs or trades for an RD(if they do), it's hard to say exactly how much they'll have to work with.

There's no reason to trade Cirelli and create another hole in the top 6 unless Brisebois guarantees that by doing so Tampa addresses a position of need(a top 4,.more defensively sound RD) that either has term or is going to sign right after. I'm sure the 1st rd pick could work towards one, but it's no guarantee. I'm not in favor of moving Cirelli anyway, but especially not to a.division opponent and not for what Tampa needs(without more hypothetical trades to address their situation).

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

I think you're overvaluing Byram a little bit. In any case I'm happy with an unprotected 1st + for Cirelli and agree with your second point.

One more note on Byram, doesn't that give you 3 highly talented LD? Wouldn't it make sense to swap one of them for another area of need? From what I've read, all three of Dahlin, Power, and Byram aren't nearly as good at RD. If I'm cutting bait on one of them, it's Byram. This is why I don't understand why the Lightning would be interested, we have Hedman and Sergachev on the left side. If these two teams are trading, I think the Lightning would strictly be interested in futures.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think you're overvaluing Byram a little bit. In any case I'm happy with an unprotected 1st + for Cirelli and agree with your second point.

One more note on Byram, doesn't that give you 3 highly talented LD? Wouldn't it make sense to swap one of them for another area of need? From what I've read, all three of Dahlin, Power, and Byram aren't nearly as good at RD. If I'm cutting bait on one of them, it's Byram. This is why I don't understand why the Lightning would be interested, we have Hedman and Sergachev on the left side. If these two teams are trading, I think the Lightning would strictly be interested in futures.

Apparently you haven’t been reading anything written by people who watch the Sabres, because Dahlin has always preferred playing on the right side and is excellent there.

Anyway, whether you or I or anyone else thinks the 3 LHD build of the Sabres blue line is the best play, Adams spent years looking to add another top 4 defenseman. He finally got a deal for one he really liked. He’s absolutely not turning around and pissing away one of his premier D. Just ain’t happening, not even if we could all agree that Cirelli was worth it in a vacuum.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Apparently you haven’t been reading anything written by people who watch the Sabres, because Dahlin has always preferred playing on the right side and is excellent there.

Anyway, whether you or I or anyone else thinks the 3 LHD build of the Sabres blue line is the best play, Adams spent years looking to add another top 4 defenseman. He finally got a deal for one he really liked. He’s absolutely not turning around and pissing away one of his premier D. Just ain’t happening, not even if we could all agree that Cirelli was worth it in a vacuum.

I prefer to read what the players themselves say.

1714959482170.png

Anyways, I worded my post as a question, there is zero need to be antagonistic with your response. If Buffalo prefers 3 LHD good for you guys, like I've said several times now I have zero interest in Byram.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I prefer to read what the players themselves say.

View attachment 865617

Anyways, I worded my post as a question, there is zero need to be antagonistic with your response. If Buffalo prefers 3 LHD good for you guys, like I've said several times now I have zero interest in Byram.

I’m not sure why you’d take a player’s joke comment over his history of play (or any number of non-joke comments he’s made about preferring his off side over the years). Dahlin played on the right side in Sweden before being drafted, and it’s where he’s played by far the best hockey of his NHL career.

Anyway, you asked why Byram wasn’t realistic. Now you know.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I’m not sure why you’d take a player’s joke comment over his history of play (or any number of non-joke comments he’s made about preferring his off side over the years). Dahlin played on the right side in Sweden before being drafted, and it’s where he’s played by far the best hockey of his NHL career.

Anyway, you asked why Byram wasn’t realistic. Now you know.

He joked that someone has to play the right side, he didn't joke that it's an adjustment. He's stated several times that offensively he likes the right side because he can see the play better, but doesn't like it defensively.

His final season at Frolunda he was forced to play the right side because he got promoted up and had to find a place in the lineup.... his first three seasons in the NHL he played the left side exclusively. He's played mostly right side out of necessity, since then, not preference.

Anyways I don't care. Let's move on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad