Eklund Rumor: Buffalo Talking With Carolina About Justin Faulk

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
No chance I move Risto or Reinhart for Faulk. He has just 2 years left. Reinhart and Risto have 4+ years of team control left.

And also Faulks last two years are At 6 mil per. Carolina is a budget team and is probably shopping Faulk hard to avoid paying 12 mil over the next 2 years. So that will lower his value a bit. I am not trading a high end piece for 2 years of Faulk. He makes 6 mil per in real $ and just two years before he can walk in free agency. I wouldn't offer much.
If they’re trading him it’s because he’s been replaced by Hamilton and have TVR well slotted for the third pair. They’ve already said they have no problems keeping Faulk, but they’re trading Faulk from a position of strength not weakness. The new owner is a billionaire, and while he doesn’t throw money away he doesn’t want Waddell accepting pennies on the dollar for Faulk just because they may “get stuck” keeping him.

They could still trade TVR for “not much” if they felt they HAD to move one of these guys.

And one more time for the cheap seats they’re not trading for Risto or any other top 4 d. If they’re so cheap and won’t pay Faulk why would they trade for Risto? It’s the same problem only slightly cheaper. Reinhart at least makes sense, they want scoring forwards or goalies. Worst case the best futures trade they can get because Faulk’s position has already been filled.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
It would have to be for a futures package most likely. Sabres can't afford to trade Eichel,Reinhart, Risto, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Scandella.

So like, STL 1st 2019 + BUF 2nd 2019 + Asplund or something like that.

Not sure if Carolina would be content with that.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It would have to be for a futures package most likely. Sabres can't afford to trade Eichel,Reinhart, Risto, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Scandella.

That’s a competitive offer if Carolina is willing to deal him for futures. I don’t think that's what Waddell and co. have in mind, however. The reported ask for Faulk was Saad and the reported ask for Faulk + Skinner was Schmaltz + 1st. Judging by those asks, the Canes are looking for a 2nd line forward or so to help replace Skinner now. That's not unreasonable as Faulk is a Top 4 RHD with 2 years left on his contract. It’s a matter of finding the right trading partner. Buffalo is about as bad of one as the Canes could find in that regard, no offense.

Reactions: Unsustainable

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016

not giving up asplund

Reactions: Sabreality

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Only if Botterill gives up a couple of peaks and some prospectus. Obviously, the entire core young core would not be trading.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

On what planet???

Hamilton was acquired from Boston at a lesser price than thus.

Buffalo would be getting a far better Dman for this.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa

Yea thats brutal from Buffalos standpoint. Asplund is probably NHL ready next year and will be a perfect 3/4C behind Eichel/CM. Maybe a sure fire playoff team can afford to trade their top 5 prospect and a 1+2, but we sure cant

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
This makes 0 sense for the Sabres. Botterill has already stated his confidence in Bogo's return, don't ask why, we Sabres fans do and hear crickets.
Obviously there is Risto. But the one very few fans outside of Buffalo are aware of is Casey Nelson. He really played a steady game for the most part last season. I don't see the Sabres making any more impact moves, Botterill and Housley have definitive four 1st round picks over the next 2 years with high potential 3 of them are in the 19 draft, but, more importantly, have the prospect pipeline overflowing with great potential. They'll stay the course, and build a very strong foundational core with interchangeable parts coming of age.

For those posters who haven't noticed the Sabres pipeline, it truly is stacking up nicely right now, from NHL ready, a year or 2 off to longer 3 to 4 year potentials, it needed to happen, and it finally has.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Ristolainen and Bogosian are both RD and i thought that Dahlin was a left handed RD. Eklund need to take with a grain of salt. Once O'Reilly was dealt to St Louis. Buffalo pretty much lost their best trading chip there.
We still have Eichel and Mittelstadt, but I know what you mean

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Add a cap dump or 2 going to CAR and you've basically got us giving up ROR's return for Justin Faulk. C'mon man.

Reactions: Howie Hodge

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'd say the likelihood of this being remotely credible is very low. Faulk has been linked to DET, TOR and CHI; those teams, with the exception of DET, make sense in that they could use a top 4 RHD. Doesn't BUF already have 2 RHDs in Risto and Bogosian?

Who's to say exactly what Donnie Wadz is looking for in return for Faulk. Team-needs-wise, a young-ish top 6 forward is ideal, preferably someone who can play C. Also the team could use a proven starter in net. There is absolutely no need for anymore D-men since de-Haan and TVR were brought on board.

Futures-wise, 1st rd picks plus scoring fwd or potential starting G prospects are nice. Again, no need for D prospects. A player for player deal strongly preferred I'd think vs. futures...

Is Bogosian still considered top-4, though?

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Is Bogosian still considered top-4, though?

I'm not sure he still plays anymore. I think he retired.

Buffalo brought in a ton of young, mobile D this offseason. Let's see what we have in that and how Dahlin looks before we start moving assets.

Why do we post EK rumours again? This is no better than some random HF'er speculating.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Hilarious. Like Faulk is going to bring back either Risto or Reinhart. Completely laughable.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ristolainen and Bogosian are both RD and i thought that Dahlin was a left handed RD. Eklund need to take with a grain of salt. Once O'Reilly was dealt to St Louis. Buffalo pretty much lost their best trading chip there.
It's easier to play the oppo side on the big ice surface. Doubt that Dahlin plays RD in the NHL as a first choice. Agree 100% on ROR. What an awful return, and I wasn't even a big ROR fan.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
On what planet???

Hamilton was acquired from Boston at a lesser price than thus.

Buffalo would be getting a far better Dman for this.

Hamilton- 1st (#15) + 2 2nds (45+52) +
In this Deal- StL 1st (let's say #20) Asplund (taken #33) and BUFF 2nd (let's say #38)
Pretty comparable.

Now whether Faulk is > or < Hamilton and whether BUFF should do this deal are other questions. But the return package is pretty similar.

Sabreland

Feb 13, 2015
Hamilton- 1st (#15) + 2 2nds (45+52) +
In this Deal- StL 1st (let's say #20) Asplund (taken #33) and BUFF 2nd (let's say #38)
Pretty comparable.

Now whether Faulk is > or < Hamilton and whether BUFF should do this deal are other questions. But the return package is pretty similar.
no to Asplund , trade St Louis #1 and SJS #1 and either O"Reagan or Bailey or both.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
I'm not sure he still plays anymore. I think he retired.

Buffalo brought in a ton of young, mobile D this offseason. Let's see what we have in that and how Dahlin looks before we start moving assets.

Why do we post EK rumours again? This is no better than some random HF'er speculating.
Not sure if serious... Botterill has spoke about Bogosian as a top 4 D. Most Sabres HF posters don't consider him a top 4 D though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad