Buffalo Sabres TV Broadcast referencing corsi and possession

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Interesting to see during the broadcast last night (and it's been other nights as well). The Sabres intermission show didn't give just the basic stats that intermission shows do (hits, shots, penalties, etc.) but actually included a corsi breakdown as well. As seen in the image below they also broke down shots based on area in the offensive zone.

I couldn't find a picture of it but I also saw last night a graphic that included both time spent in the offensive zone as well as time spent with puck possession in the offensive zone.

This is the first time I've seen a broadcaster do something like this and it seems to be the first real step to bringing advanced stats (even if it's more "basic" things like corsi) into the normal hockey vernacular, and I thought it would be of particular interest to this forum.

10106692314_a973c81f16.jpg

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Love that they've been doing this, even they are the worst advanced-stats team in the league. The shot location chart is nifty, and tracking zone time is always nice (that was displayed as they cut away from the OP to the empty ice just before intermission ended).

Brian Duff is a consummate broadcasting professional.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Love that they've been doing this, even they are the worst advanced-stats team in the league. The shot location chart is nifty, and tracking zone time is always nice (that was displayed as they cut away from the OP to the empty ice just before intermission ended).

Brian Duff is a consummate broadcasting professional.

Yep, that's where I saw it. Couldn't find a screengrab of it online though and didn't have the game going to DVR to rewind and grab it.

It was interesting to see the large difference between zone time and zone time with possession for the Sabres.

And regarding Duff, couldn't agree more. He was able to explain corsi and some advanced stats on a relateable level without dumbing it down. The contrast between him and Robitaille is pretty stark (I actually cheered out loud when I heard Robitaille would be retiring)

KevinFG

Yep, that's where I saw it. Couldn't find a screengrab of it online though and didn't have the game going to DVR to rewind and grab it.

It was interesting to see the large difference between zone time and zone time with possession for the Sabres.

And regarding Duff, couldn't agree more. He was able to explain corsi and some advanced stats on a relateable level without dumbing it down. The contrast between him and Robitaille is pretty stark (I actually cheered out loud when I heard Robitaille would be retiring)

I wanted to echo the praise for Duff. he's a thinking man, and it comes off that way. He's also very smooth. Great hire by the Sabres.

I have to disagree with you on Robitaille though. I enjoyed him immensely.

With Ray and May in the fold, the Sabres should be able to win most of the broadcaster bar fights after the games. There's some other tough guys out there though.

As for why the Sabres are doing it, I think that Buffalo fans, as a rule, are pretty well informed. I certainly think the Canadian teams and the Original Six should be able to pull it off as well.

That's not to say that other fan bases can't appreciate the stats, or there aren't fans in Florida, as an example, that dig into them deeply. I just think for the broader more CASUAL (not stupid) fans, it loses a lot of context.

Dan L

Nov 12, 2013
Corsi is the goalie coach in Buffalo-I think that's why they picked up on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad