Buffalo Sabres represented by small but talented group of NCAA and European prospects

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Buffalo Sabres tend to draft players out of the CHL, and as a result have fewer high-end prospects in Europe and the collegiate levels. Even when the Sabres elected to drafted European-born players with their first round picks, as they did twice in 2012 by taking Mikhail Grigorenko and Zemgus Girgensons, both players were playing in North American leagues at the time.

In Europe, Joel Armia is the Sabres' best prospect and considered one of the best young players who have yet to make the move overseas. Linus Ullmark has looked promising in limited playing time with MODO.

Jake McCabe, a standout for Team USA at the World Junior Championships, is the Sabres' best collegiate prospect and follows a growing crop of high-caliber defensemen to come from Mike Eaves' Wisconsin program.… read more

More...

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
When are our pros and cons going to be updated?

They've been the same since before the 2012 draft, including "size down the middle" as a con, which I would have agreed with before the last draft. But it's still there. I might disagree with the "top end forwards" one too, with Armia and Grigs in the pipeline.

We've had several reviews of our prospects but no one has taken a new look at that section.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I'll be keeping a close eye on Isackson next season. He'll be relied on heavily next year with the mass exodus of some of the Gophers best players. He has a lot of promise and hope he steps up.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
Wow, this article is awful. Ullmark didn't play in the WJC and Armia doesn't play C at all. Pretty embarrassing on Chen's (author's) part.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Wow, this article is awful. Ullmark didn't play in the WJC and Armia doesn't play C at all. Pretty embarrassing on Chen's (author's) part.

Re: McCabe...
Talking about other Badgers in the NHL as dmen, you'd also probably want to mention Gilbert, Smith, Drewiskie, and most importantly....MacDonagh :laugh:

And did I miss something? Armia has played center at times?????

Jason Chen

Jul 28, 2012
Canada
armchairhockey.net
Re: McCabe...
Talking about other Badgers in the NHL as dmen, you'd also probably want to mention Gilbert, Smith, Drewiskie, and most importantly....MacDonagh :laugh:

And did I miss something? Armia has played center at times?????

Author here... list of Badgers d-men could go on and on - I've only picked a few examples as a comparison.

Armia is often listed as a centre when he really is a right winger. In previous Sabres posts I've pointed that out before. I think we don't really get a sense of what position a player plays until he plays regular shifts in AHL or NHL.

Raziel and Mogilny - Armia is in the final year of his contract with Assat Pori. It is very likely he comes overseas next year as part of the Sabres rebuild.

As for Ullmark being on the Swedish WJC squad - I apologize. That is a sloppy mistake. What I meant to say was that Ullmark played two games for the Sweden national junior squad (and was brilliant). I know he didn't make the U20 WJC team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->