Value of: Buffalo Sabres: RD for LD Swap?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
No thanks, at this point the Sabres to keep quality players. I'm not saying that Graves isn't coming off a really solid campaign, but at the same time, Jokiharju is one of the quality pieces on this team. He's as untouchable as Dahlin, Eichel, UPL, and Cozens should ultimately be.

I wouldn’t trade him either, the rest should be moved. Graves could be available for other prospects or picks.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
They’re pretty close to equal. I personally think Eriksson is a little better but both are trash. Don’t know how you can say that one guy is “much” better.

“my piece of turd is MUCH BETTER than your piece of turd”.

You are out of touch with how Okposo plays.

AVs would offer Graves + for Joki. Sabres could also include a bad contract. Not really interested in the rest due the inability to protect everyone, they’ll lose another player.

Joki is untouchable. You want him it costs you byram.

Leddy for picks/prospects would make some sense. Clear up a big cap hit.
Leddy for an almost $4m caphit makes no sense.

Also, Trotz is a Leddy fan, which is probably why the local press says Leddy won't be the one moved.

What team can you trade Leddy to for futures? Most teams don’t have $5M in space after RFAs are signed.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
[QUOTE="Djp, post: 174365928, member: 1
What team can you trade Leddy to for futures? Most teams don’t have $5M in space after RFAs are signed.[/QUOTE]

The isles already traded LHD Toews for futures. I would have preferred moving Leddy for futures.
From what the local press is saying,the Isles are not looking to move Leddy.

If they did that would leave them very weak on the left side.

Pelech and ahlers Aho and Wortherspoon.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
I really like the discussion in this thread, some good ideas in here! Two thoughts...

It doesn't necessarily have to be a swap, the Sabres could move one of these guys for a draft pick or something as well. That could make sense for a team like NJ that has cap space to play with.

Like others have said, we can realistically take Jokiharju out of this discussion entirely. He isn't untouchable by any sense, it just makes the least amount of sense to trade him from a cost and team control standpoint.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I really like the discussion in this thread, some good ideas in here! Two thoughts...

It doesn't necessarily have to be a swap, the Sabres could move one of these guys for a draft pick or something as well. That could make sense for a team like NJ that has cap space to play with.

Like others have said, we can realistically take Jokiharju out of this discussion entirely. He isn't untouchable by any sense, it just makes the least amount of sense to trade him from a cost and team control standpoint.

I think buffalo has a LD hole next year they need to fill. I don’t think there is anything left out there to sign.

The other issue. Not many teams have the cap space to easily take on $4M cap hit.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Interested in Calvin de Haan for a lottery ticket prospect?
Not asking for much in return, just cap space.

Blackhawks supposedly really like both Kalynuk and Zadorov and that leaves no space for him. Kalynuk is already 23 so I'd imagine they want to see what they have sooner than later.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Interested in Calvin de Haan for a lottery ticket prospect?
Not asking for much in return, just cap space.

Blackhawks supposedly really like both Kalynuk and Zadorov and that leaves no space for him. Kalynuk is already 23 so I'd imagine they want to see what they have sooner than later.

It has to be money in, money out.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
I think buffalo has a LD hole next year they need to fill. I don’t think there is anything left out there to sign.

The other issue. Not many teams have the cap space to easily take on $4M cap hit.

I agree. The way I see it, an ideal off-season has us moving two of these defensemen. One for an equivalent lefty, and one for the cap space necessary to acquire a goalie.

You guys have a forward on an expiring deal that is worth 4.5-5M that's dumpable? Okposo is obviously a no go.

Eh, not really unfortunately.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I agree. The way I see it, an ideal off-season has us moving two of these defensemen. One for an equivalent lefty, and one for the cap space necessary to acquire a goalie.

Eh, not really unfortunately.
Have anyone that fits that criteria in the 3-4M range? You'd add a bit of cap, but that's about the best we could do.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You guys have a forward on an expiring deal that is worth 4.5-5M that's dumpable? Okposo is obviously a no go.

No.. the expiring UFAs are on D in Montour and Miller that would be traded.

This offseason buffalo only had 4 players under contract in F with a bunch of RFAs and UFAs.

Right now they have
12/7/2 with $6.5M in space.
F-Olofsson still has an arbitration hearing this week. He could be around $3.5M
Thry also have Cozens not on cap friendly but likrly in the team.
Mittlestadt also is an RFA but can’t get OS snd can freely go to the A without waivers.

If you estimate $5.5M for the 3 forwards to fill out the roster thst leaves them with about $1M in space.

Any trade made is going to have to be cap neutral.

Because of thst I don’t see a player trade bring 1 for 1. Instead more likrly a bigger trade like 3 for 3 is possible.

Thry could go with sn 13/7/3 roster next year

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Wondered if Collin Miller for Marc-Andre Fleury was do-able.

If Vegas retains ~$3M, maybe. Move pretty much has to be cap neutral. The Sabres have $5M in space left (accounting for bonus overages from last year that carried forward) with Olofsson still left to sign. Fleury would no doubt be an upgrade on Hutton, but then we'd still have Hutton's contract and a hole on LD, so it's not ideal.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Kind of funny to have a glut in a position that is such need for most teams. It might be worth holding onto until someone is desperate enough to overpay. I doubt you get many compelling offers here.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
As far as LD depth, Carolina would seem like an obvious trade partner. Not sure what would be an acceptable trade for both sides, though.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Wondered if Collin Miller for Marc-Andre Fleury was do-able.

Then there is the cap

Buffalo doesnt have the room

After Olofsson qrbitration and filling out the roster Buffalo might have about $1.5M in cap space.

With Vegas the more logical deal would by Martinez for Montour.

Kind of funny to have a glut in a position that is such need for most teams. It might be worth holding onto until someone is desperate enough to overpay. I doubt you get many compelling offers here.

Buffalo has a LD hole to fill. Miller and Montour didnt seem to do well in that LD position last year.

Maybe Risto or jokiharju can

Buffalo also has an NHL ready prospect in Borgen at RD who enters his final ELC year.

I think Montour can have great valley at the deadline which is why I prefer to keep him. They trade him, Borgen can replace him.

Miller has 2 years left so hed be harder to move, I dont mind getting back a LD with 2 yrs left

As far as LD depth, Carolina would seem like an obvious trade partner. Not sure what would be an acceptable trade for both sides, though.

With Carolina
Slavin--wouldnt be mmoved
SKjei--no interest
gardiner--no interest
Ryan--no intersty
Fluery

Fluery is the only one I have interest in.
You also have Bean who is another LD

both of those two arent evemt in the ED

I would be of the type to keep both and look at them as an A/B option where one gets taken in the ED and you still move on without a hole.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Then there is the cap

Buffalo doesnt have the room

After Olofsson qrbitration and filling out the roster Buffalo might have about $1.5M in cap space.

With Vegas the more logical deal would by Martinez for Montour.

Buffalo has a LD hole to fill. Miller and Montour didnt seem to do well in that LD position last year.

Maybe Risto or jokiharju can

Buffalo also has an NHL ready prospect in Borgen at RD who enters his final ELC year.

I think Montour can have great valley at the deadline which is why I prefer to keep him. They trade him, Borgen can replace him.

Miller has 2 years left so hed be harder to move, I dont mind getting back a LD with 2 yrs left

With Carolina
Slavin--wouldnt be mmoved
SKjei--no interest
gardiner--no interest
Ryan--no intersty
Fluery

Fluery is the only one I have interest in.
You also have Bean who is another LD

both of those two arent evemt in the ED

I would be of the type to keep both and look at them as an A/B option where one gets taken in the ED and you still move on without a hole.

I agree Montour is a potential deadline goldmine.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Leddy's caphit is $5.5m and after moving Toews, another LHD, Isles should have little interest in swapping Leddy for a player making $3.8m.

Leddy for picks/prospects would make some sense. Clear up a big cap hit.
Leddy for an almost $4m caphit makes no sense.

Also, Trotz is a Leddy fan, which is probably why the local press says Leddy won't be the one moved.
Depends upon how deep the owners pockets are and if 2-3 million in cash makes a difference. I believe Leddy is making more in actual cash than his cap hit so if owners are wanting to save during these times leddy’s an expensive add . Especially just for picks and no cash going back . The islanders may have to deal Leddy piecemel type of thing . Trade him for Montour than try to dump montour

Sabrehack

Aug 30, 2018
I think either Montour or Miller gets moved for draft picks, to free up cap space. There is up to $3.5 in potential bonuses that I don't believe the team will want to be handcuffed with next year. I can't find a list of the bonus criteria to see how much is realistic and how much is a stretch. Sadly both Davidson and Irwin are left shooting D, so I'm sure GMKA had something in mind there.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
One of the tw
Depends upon how deep the owners pockets are and if 2-3 million in cash makes a difference. I believe Leddy is making more in actual cash than his cap hit so if owners are wanting to save during these times leddy’s an expensive add . Especially just for picks and no cash going back . The islanders may have to deal Leddy piecemel type of thing . Trade him for Montour than try to dump montour

One of the two owners has very deep pockets. The time to trade Leddy was before trading Toews. I can only guess the isles shopped both for picks/prospects and found Toews had more trade value

Absolutely zero interest in trading Leddy for a player making $3.8m,then trying to find a taker for that unwanted $3.8m player.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You’re insane, Byram is closer to Dahlin. You need to trade him before he either gets tired of losing or BUF ruin his career.
You're both insane. Byram is much better that Jokiharju and Dahlin is much better than Byram. I've seen a lot of Byram. He'll be a 2 if he hits his ceiling. Dahlin is already a 2/3 and could be a 1 if he hits his ceiling. Jokiharju is a 5 who could be a 3/4

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
You're both insane. Byram is much better that Jokiharju and Dahlin is much better than Byram. I've seen a lot of Byram. He'll be a 2 if he hits his ceiling. Dahlin is already a 2/3 and could be a 1 if he hits his ceiling. Jokiharju is a 5 who could be a 3/4

I agree Dahlin is better than Byram, but the gap between these two players is much closer vs. Joki.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad