Buffalo Sabres owner looking to purchase AHL Rochester; UPD deal done

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Tricky as they are contractually with Portland until I believe 2013-14, and there aren't any out clauses in the contract. There's always a way out I guess (money usually solves it), and with some of the affiliation changes going on this year I'm sure Portland would be able to find a new NHL team to partner with.

Rochester is an ideal location for Buffalo's AHL team.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/05/sabres-interest-in-amerks-intensifies.html

From Buffalo News

Sabres owner Terry Pegula has had talks to purchase the Amerks, a source told The Buffalo News today. The Associated Press quotes a source as saying the Sabres have signed a nonbinding letter of intent to purchase the American Hockey League club.

The Sabres told The News today that neither team President Ted Black nor General Manager Darcy Regier had anything to add to their recent comments. Black said last week the Sabres are investigating numerous aspects of their organization. Regier pledged his support for the Portland Pirates, who reached a long-term extension of their affiliation with Buffalo in March 2010. Regier said the Sabres were interested in keeping the partnership.
Amerks owner Curt Styres was elusive today when contacted by the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, which recently reported two NHL clubs have approached the Amerks to purchase the team.
Jason Chaimovitch, the AHL's vice president of communications, told The News a sale would require the approvale of the AHL board of governors, and the group has not been approached to examine any transactions.

The Associated Press reports the Sabres do not have an out clause in their deal with the Pirates. Chaimovitch told The News that theoretically an NHL team could own one club and be affiliated with another. That, however, would seem to make little sense.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...348&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

AP story. NDA signed.

If you're serious about developing your own kids, having 100% control of AHL affiliate is the best way to go about it.

Sharks have not been disappointed in their investment (AHL Cleveland Barons/Worcester Sharks). And other NHL franchises that own their own seem to enjoy the control as well.

Pens have benefitted greatly from owning both the WBS Penguins & Wheeling Nailers. As you said, best way to develop your own....

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
portland cant be happy about this at all, as buffalo has treated them and their fanbase pretty well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RT @AHLReport: Is there a person in hockey this year who has made a bigger splash than Terry Pegula? Sabres, Penn State, maybe the Amerks.

portland cant be happy about this at all, as buffalo has treated them and their fanbase pretty well.

In return, their fanbase has pretty much been a no-show in the playoffs.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
RT @AHLReport: Is there a person in hockey this year who has made a bigger splash than Terry Pegula? Sabres, Penn State, maybe the Amerks.

In return, their fanbase has pretty much been a no-show in the playoffs.

well, a bunch of the games coincided with b's games. I can see how fans would rather stay home and watch their NHL team on tv.

as a sens fan i saw the exact same thing with manchester in the first round. A shame the AHL didnt think to schedule around that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
well, a bunch of the games coincided with b's games. I can see how fans would rather stay home and watch their NHL team on tv.

as a sens fan i saw the exact same thing with manchester in the first round. A shame the AHL didnt think to schedule around that.

Some did. Not all of them. The Bruins didn't play every single night. Patrick Williams (@AHLReport) was actually bantering about this (I jokingly said they were all home watching the NFL Draft)

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Probably a good idea... Would it be considered a conflict of interest to own the Amerks & keep the affiliation with the Pirates? Or will Buffalo buy out their agreement with Portland & sign on with the Americans?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Probably a good idea... Would it be considered a conflict of interest to own the Amerks & keep the affiliation with the Pirates? Or will Buffalo buy out their agreement with Portland & sign on with the Americans?

Pegula apparently has the money (as a Sabres fan, I'm sure this isn't news to you). He'll make it so. Rochester needs this too.

OnionPuck

Mar 22, 2011
WPG
Look at what the Moose have given the Canucks, and what the Canucks have given the Moose: talented young players, and a shot in the NHL. Enough said; this is an excellent proposition for all parties.

Veinless

Aug 23, 2005
Pegula seems to be the ideal owner. He has both the heart and the wallet for a professional hockey team, from administration to ice-level.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Look at what the Moose have given the Canucks, and what the Canucks have given the Moose: talented young players, and a shot in the NHL. Enough said; this is an excellent proposition for all parties.

Vancouver doesn't own Manitoba though. Vancouver and Manitoba has been more like Washington and Hershey - a well-run AHL franchise trying to win at the AHL level and develop prospects at the same time.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
http://www.pressherald.com/sports/pirates/sabres-set-to-purchase-ahl-team_2011-05-18.html

BUFFALO, N.Y. — The Buffalo Sabres, parent club of the Portland Pirates, have signed a nonbinding letter of intent to purchase the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League.

"We are two, three days into our due diligence," a person familiar with negotiations said Tuesday. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because of a confidentiality agreement that's in place.

Brian Petrovek, the Pirates' CEO/managing owner, declined to comment about the possible purchase by Buffalo, his team's NHL affiliate for the past three seasons, and what it would mean to the future of the Pirates.

"We have a contractural relationship with the Buffalo Sabres," Petrovek said. "They know it. We know it. I really can't say more about it.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
letter.png

It's about time.... Portland/Buffalo together never seemed quite right...

eggy2486

Hitman #6
Jun 9, 2011
Eastern CT
it has to be done, those two teams are like a couple that have been together for like 15 years, the marriage is just a formality

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
It's funny. Pegula's wife aside, it seemed like questions about Rochester caught Terry by surprise when he took over the Sabres.

Obviously it makes sense given the location of the two teams and our history with the Amerks.

It's good to see a deal was worked out and the Sabres will have full control of their affiliate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad