GDT: Buffalo Sabres (5-8-2) vs. Your New Jersey Devils (6-5-2), 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Came here to ask/find out when they're gonna wear those sweet green jerseys.

They haven't officially posted about it recently that I've seen so don't 100% quote me on that but the dates I posted make sense if they were just switching the old games to the rescheduled dates.

Reactions: FMichael

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
4z6p6z.jpg

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Yeah, I was scratching my head, too.

He and Kulikov are a nice tandem.

Kulikov was basically doing double duty every time he was on the ice with Vatanen. It is like a power play for the opposition any time the opponent is in the Devils' end.

For all the complaints about the PK, the game Sunday turned whenever Sami was on the ice and the Devils would get hemmed in their own end.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Sami had an awful game, but sitting players down for mistakes is what coaches like Hynes do. Sami’s a pro and knows how he played, you gotta give players a chance to bounce back and not bury them from one mistake.

Would agree if Sunday was an aberration. Saw way too much of the same in the past.

If Ty Smith wasn't playing as well as he is, I'd say the Devils might need Sami's skill set. At this stage even Will Butcher would be a better option; though to this point Matt Tennyson has performed far better in the sixth D role.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Sami's defense has always been mediocre at best. He's too small to win battles, while he can have speed I wouldn't call him a good skater especially when it comes to stopping and starting, and he spends a lot of time chasing. He makes his money breaking out and working the point in the offensive zone, that's what I want him to focus on doing.

Certainly a huge improvement over Tennyson and Carrick but I think any hopes we had of him getting back to his 2018/2019 level are pretty much gone. He is not going to turn into Scott Stevens at this point in his career. Let him play on the 3rd pair and get his 15-20 points and I'll be thrilled.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
He’s definitely inconsistent, at times he looks like a first pair defender and the next like he has no business even being in the league. Fortunately he doesn’t have to play those top4 minutes any more and I think (hope) he’ll be alright in a third pairing role.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I do think Butcher is better than Vatanen, but I'm not sure he is for this team and the scheme Ruff wants. Limited physical tools (skating). So I have zero issue keeping Vatanen in there. He's an NHL caliber defender and fine on the bottom pairing.

I've always thought Vatanen was overrated around here though. The Vatanen > Severson takes were laughable a while back.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Zacha's got the hot hand right now. I'm fine with him staying there a while.

He’s still not playing well at 5v5 which is what lines are. Neither he nor Gusev have been all that good at 5v5 but Gusev has shown more in the past.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
oh brother. he hasn’t been playing well as a 3c but trying him on wing is fine. it’s only “1st line” because amanda wrote in hischier as the 1C. they will probably still play the second most to hughes line.

everyone complained about zacha when he wasn’t putting up points. he’s putting up points now and everyone’s trying to rip apart his splits even as his role is changing from a center to a wing. let’s give the guy (and ourselves) a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad