Prospect Info: Arttu Ruotsalainen

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
I love R2, but I still don´t think he has potential for anything else than a reserve role in NHL. In his best, he could be a backup winger for 3rd and 4th wings with a decent shot, speed and hard-working attitude.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I love R2, but I still don´t think he has potential for anything else than a reserve role in NHL. In his best, he could be a backup winger for 3rd and 4th wings with a decent shot, speed and hard-working attitude.
That's fair. I like to think that the hard work and a bit of a scoring touch could allow him to be a decent 3C or 4C.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
This kid needs to be given time on the third line. If he looks this good in preseason then I can forgive letting Kahun go. But, with how things go, accept a 1 yr 1,000,000 offer for us Kahun!

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Worst case he get to puts away some money and gets to experience the Rochester Garbage Plate.

Reactions: muhmuhMatt

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I say again.

He's ready for Buffalo. Pilut++
It will depend on how quickly he adapts to North American ice. He’s a small guy (5’8” 180lbs) flying around a big ice surface right now. He’s going to have less time and space and will be playing more physical league when he comes over.

That said I’m hoeing he comes in flying. He will have been playing for a couple months before the Sabres get going. It should be a big advantage in camp.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Do you want to know what this team has been missing for years/what we have had very few of in the last couple decades? A quality European/Non CHL-NCAA forward acquired by means other then trade, a guy that can chip in 40-50 points or more possibly, along with 20+ goals, especially one who was not drafted early.

The only examples I can truly think of post Knox family are Afinogenov (3rd round pick, turned out to be a legit top forward both here and Atlanta) and Ales Kotalik, drafted in the 6th round. Max as we all know flashed insane potential at the start of his career including highlight reel goals/plays.From his rookie year up until the co caps left he scored 14+ goals in every one aside from the 02-03 season when the russian mob gave him that concussion. And it was actually Max, not Danny Briere who led that amazing 05-06 Sabre team in scoring.

Kotalik in his last 6 full seasons here put up 6 seasons in a row of 13+ goals including 3 20+ goal seasons. The seasons he didn't score 20+ in while he was here were due to injury shortened seasons/when he got traded. His 82 game goal pace on those 3 seasons were 20,20 and 19. The 19 goal season was when he was dealt and put up 7 with Edmonton hitting the 20 goal mark exactly. Essentially, we got 6 straight seasons of .25 gpg production out of a 6th round draft pick. It was a shame how quick Kotalik fell off.Only played 2 more seasons after his trade which resulted in 97 games and 15 combined goals.I understand that he was 32 at the end of his last NHL season but you would think a guy who literally had 6 straight years of 20+ goal production would fall off over the next 2 years like that. Looks like we moved him just at the right time for a 2nd round pick.Unfortunately since we are the Sabres the 2nd we got for Al was immediately flipped for Dominic Moore who, came in with 41 points in 63 games and then ended up scoring a whopping 1 goal, 3 assists and 4 points in the 18 games he played here. We were probably better off keeping Al that season. Don't worry, the prospect picked with the pick that was traded for Kotalik ended up playing 1 career NHL game.

What I am trying to say is that I just want the Sabres to finally get some luck on a Longshot Euro forward. I am not saying I am hoping/predicting R2 becomes a Zetterberg or Datsyuk light, but just a guy who becomes a solid addition to the middle 6 who will give us 20-20 production. It is like we have absolutely no luck with European forwards post Mogilny. We spent high picks on guys like Kryukov, Nylander, Grigs (drafted out of the CHL but was developed in Russia up until his D-1 season), Girgs,Armia,Zagrapan,Gogulla,Fabry,Novotny,Bartovic,Cierny..

Nearly a dozen Euros drafted in the top 2 rounds and none became anything more then bottom 6 forwards/KHL stars at best. Vanek spent years in America for his hockey career and even though he is Austrian, he was an "American bred and developed" college superstar.

That is why I love Olofsson so damn much. Since we drafted Alex Mogilny, we have drafted 3 successful Euro forwards in 30 years at the draft and none in the first 2 rounds. Olofsson is going to end up as easily the best Euro forward drafted by us since Alex Mogilny.That is also why I was so upset over Kahuns situation (obviously not knowing we were getting Taylor freakin Hall) because he was an undrafted Euro who was already showing 40-50 point potential in limited ice time.Hopefully R2 ends up becoming a success story opening up a pipeline from Europe to Buffalo for talented forwards. Kind of like we did when it came to highly talented and coveted Euro Dmen in Antipin and Pilut in consecutive seasons. Unfortunately both failed though Pilut still has a chance.

The Sabres are god awful at drafting the last 25 years period. And when it comes to Euro forwards, just absolutely forget about it. Olofsson, Al and Kotalik

Obi-Wan R2, you are our only hope.

Last edited:

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Do you want to know what this team has been missing for years/what we have had very few of in the last couple decades? A quality European/Non CHL-NCAA forward acquired by means other then trade, a guy that can chip in 40-50 points or more possibly, along with 20+ goals, especially one who was not drafted early.

The only examples I can truly think of post Knox family are Afinogenov (3rd round pick, turned out to be a legit top forward both here and Atlanta) and Ales Kotalik, drafted in the 6th round. Max as we all know flashed insane potential at the start of his career including highlight reel goals/plays.From his rookie year up until the co caps left he scored 14+ goals in every one aside from the 02-03 season when the russian mob gave him that concussion. And it was actually Max, not Danny Briere who led that amazing 05-06 Sabre team in scoring.

Kotalik in his last 6 full seasons here put up 6 seasons in a row of 13+ goals including 3 20+ goal seasons. The seasons he didn't score 20+ in while he was here were due to injury shortened seasons/when he got traded. His 82 game goal pace on those 3 seasons were 20,20 and 19. The 19 goal season was when he was dealt and put up 7 with Edmonton hitting the 20 goal mark exactly. Essentially, we got 6 straight seasons of .25 gpg production out of a 6th round draft pick. It was a shame how quick Kotalik fell off.Only played 2 more seasons after his trade which resulted in 97 games and 15 combined goals.I understand that he was 32 at the end of his last NHL season but you would think a guy who literally had 6 straight years of 20+ goal production would fall off over the next 2 years like that. Looks like we moved him just at the right time for a 2nd round pick.Unfortunately since we are the Sabres the 2nd we got for Al was immediately flipped for Dominic Moore who, came in with 41 points in 63 games and then ended up scoring a whopping 1 goal, 3 assists and 4 points in the 18 games he played here. We were probably better off keeping Al that season. Don't worry, the prospect picked with the pick that was traded for Kotalik ended up playing 1 career NHL game.

What I am trying to say is that I just want the Sabres to finally get some luck on a Longshot Euro forward. I am not saying I am hoping/predicting R2 becomes a Zetterberg or Datsyuk light, but just a guy who becomes a solid addition to the middle 6 who will give us 20-20 production. It is like we have absolutely no luck with European forwards post Mogilny. We spent high picks on guys like Kryukov, Nylander, Grigs (drafted out of the CHL but was developed in Russia up until his D-1 season), Girgs,Armia,Zagrapan,Gogulla,Fabry,Novotny,Bartovic,Cierny..

Nearly a dozen Euros drafted in the top 2 rounds and none became anything more then bottom 6 forwards/KHL stars at best. Vanek spent years in America for his hockey career and even though he is Austrian, he was an "American bred and developed" college superstar.

That is why I love Olofsson so damn much. Since we drafted Alex Mogilny, we have drafted 3 successful Euro forwards in 30 years at the draft and none in the first 2 rounds. Olofsson is going to end up as easily the best Euro forward drafted by us since Alex Mogilny.That is also why I was so upset over Kahuns situation (obviously not knowing we were getting Taylor freakin Hall) because he was an undrafted Euro who was already showing 40-50 point potential in limited ice time.Hopefully R2 ends up becoming a success story opening up a pipeline from Europe to Buffalo for talented forwards. Kind of like we did when it came to highly talented and coveted Euro Dmen in Antipin and Pilut in consecutive seasons. Unfortunately both failed though Pilut still has a chance.

The Sabres are god awful at drafting the last 25 years period. And when it comes to Euro forwards, just absolutely forget about it. Olofsson, Al and Kotalik

Obi-Wan R2, you are our only hope.
Don't lie. Did you write all of that to set up the last line? :DD

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
It will depend on how quickly he adapts to North American ice. He’s a small guy (5’8” 180lbs) flying around a big ice surface right now. He’s going to have less time and space and will be playing more physical league when he comes over.

That said I’m hoeing he comes in flying. He will have been playing for a couple months before the Sabres get going. It should be a big advantage in camp.
If I'm not mistaken, the Liiga is played on both large and small ice. And besides, a bunch of Swedes step right in to the NHL from the larger Swedish rinks. Yes, it could be a problem for some, but I don't think it has to be.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Still think he starts in Rochester, don't wanna get anyone's hopes up too much. Olofsson was allowed the same reprieve to get used to North American ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad