Salary Cap: Buffalo cant do any more salary retentions

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
i am posting this because I have seen some people talk about retaining salaries on Stewart.

Buffalo is maxed out on the 3 salary retentions allowed at one time with Miller, Vanek, and Pominville.

the limits on salary retention are:

1. max of 3 players at a time
2. max of 15% of the salary cap used in retention.

Come June they can do new trades where they do retain salary.

That is one reason why I dont see Ehrhoff being dealt now because they cant retain 50% and thus minimize the $10M recapture to a $6.5M recapture. the draft would be a more likely time he gets dealt.

Also at that time they could trade Leino, Stewart and/or Stafford at 50% retained.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm glad you brought this up because I was going to mention it and never saw a good opportunity to do so. If we were to trade Stewart to Ottawa it shouldn't be a problem, but with some teams we'd have to take on salary. Taking on salary isn't an issue, but the player we're taking may represent part of the trade's value in an unideal form.

Moulson's in the same boat and unlike Stewart, we either trade him now or risk losing him for nothing. His cap hit is pretty small for the player he is, but I imagine we'd still have to take salary back from a lot of the likely targets.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Maybe if Vanek gets traded two more times before the dealine we could do it again. Not totally impossible.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
i am posting this because I have seen some people talk about retaining salaries on Stewart.

Buffalo is maxed out on the 3 salary retentions allowed at one time with Miller, Vanek, and Pominville.

That is one reason why I dont see Ehrhoff being dealt now because they cant retain 50% and thus minimize the $10M recapture to a $6.5M recapture. the draft would be a more likely time he gets dealt.

Also at that time they could trade Leino, Stewart and/or Stafford at 50% retained.

No. No. No. Buy his ass out and be done with it. I don't want any remnants of that deal sitting on our cap.

Sing it with me: C-B-O! C-B-O! C-B-O!

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I realize it's stretch, but if at the deadline we were to trade Moulson with an extension in place, would we be able to retain salary? Once the extension takes effect, Miller/Vanek/Pominville will all be off the books, but I imagine it's not an option since it's not the current contract.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
We just can't retain salary this season. But we could retain salary on Stewart (or any one else signed beyond this year) next season and beyond with those 3 off the books. Obviously that doesn't help us trade them if a team has cap issues this year.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I thought Moulson has a good cap hit and Stewart/Halak aren't cap burdens either. Not to mention the Senators have cap to make both Moulson and Stewart work, they have more salary room than us. I dont think Salary retention would be needed to move these players where they are rumored to be headed.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
We just can't retain salary this season. But we could retain salary on Stewart (or any one else signed beyond this year) next season and beyond with those 3 off the books. Obviously that doesn't help us trade them if a team has cap issues this year.

With salary retention you cant pick and choose which years you retain salary.

With Stewart if we trade him tomorrow we cant just say we retain his salary next year only. It has to be the same amount for every year.

If we wait till the offseason and trade him at the draft then we can do a 50% retention.

with the Pominville trade Buffalo could have just said to Minnesota they would retain say $2M this year on him...but the NHL prevented that. Buffalo retention was limited by the amount he had left to earn for the reaminder of the year (which was less than 50%) That is why he went to Minnesota for free last year because the max retained was his pay left for the season.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
No. No. No. Buy his ass out and be done with it. I don't want any remnants of that deal sitting on our cap.

Sing it with me: C-B-O! C-B-O! C-B-O!

SEA-BEA-OH! SEA-BEA-OH!!! :handclap:

I'm yelping it. Baritone.

Now let's try it as a round!

ZeroPT*

I thought Moulson has a good cap hit and Stewart/Halak aren't cap burdens either. Not to mention the Senators have cap to make both Moulson and Stewart work, they have more salary room than us. I dont think Salary retention would be needed to move these players where they are rumored to be headed.

They have cap space but also have an internal budget.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY

Didn't Pominville sign a new deal? Is he considered in this?

Only reason I ask is because Brian Lawton tweeted that Halak salary needs to be retained for MIN to accept the trade.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Didn't Pominville sign a new deal? Is he considered in this?

Only reason I ask is because Brian Lawton tweeted that Halak salary needs to be retained for MIN to accept the trade.

Yes, because Pominville's deal doesn't start until next season. He's still on his current deal and Buffalo is still paying part of it.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
does salary retention have to be equal across term of contract?

The Sabres can't retain any more salary this year (poms, vanek, miller)... but if they were to trade Ehrhoff... could they NOT retain salary this year... but retain salary in later years? when poms, vanek, miller are no longer retentions?

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
does salary retention have to be equal across term of contract?

The Sabres can't retain any more salary this year (poms, vanek, miller)... but if they were to trade Ehrhoff... could they NOT retain salary this year... but retain salary in later years? when poms, vanek, miller are no longer retentions?

Yes, it's equal across the life of the contract.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
poo
i was really hoping to see that unanswered ehrhoff retention recapture offset play out :laugh:
For further validation:

CapGeek ‏@capgeek
Correct. RT @JoshyWaitForItJ A team can only retain 3 salaries in a season correct? EX) Sabres can't retain anymore salary?

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
poo
i was really hoping to see that unanswered ehrhoff retention recapture offset play out :laugh:

I didn't ping Ehrhoff as a candidate for retaining salary anyways, not even to reduce the recapture. Thats way too many years to be holding dead cap space on the books. It might not matter for the next 2 or 3 or 4 years but eventually with pegula as the owner the sabres will be a cap team and retaining salary will cause more dead cap hit than would be saved by the reduction in recapture.

Retaining salary is really only used practically on rentals or players with 1 more year left on contract right? Can anyone think of an example where a team retained salary on a contract with more than 2 years left let alone 7?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I didn't ping Ehrhoff as a candidate for retaining salary anyways, not even to reduce the recapture. Thats way too many years to be holding dead cap space on the books. It might not matter for the next 2 or 3 or 4 years but eventually with pegula as the owner the sabres will be a cap team and retaining salary will cause more dead cap hit than would be saved by the reduction in recapture.

Retaining salary is really only used practically on rentals or players with 1 more year left on contract right? Can anyone think of an example where a team retained salary on a contract with more than 2 years left let alone 7?

Has anyone with more than 2 years left been traded since the new CBA? :laugh:

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I don't remember seeing an answer to this question:

Say we sign Moulson to an extension. If we then deal him can we retain salary on the, since once it takes effect we will no longer be on the hook for Poms/Vanek/Miller? I'd imagine we can only retain salary on current contracts, but :dunno:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

Say we sign Moulson to an extension. If we then deal him can we retain salary on the, since once it takes effect we will no longer be on the hook for Poms/Vanek/Miller? I'd imagine we can only retain salary on current contracts, but :dunno:

The wording of the salary retention rules indicates that it refers to the player's current SPC. Extensions are separate SPCs (which are not actually in effect yet), so you are correct that that would not be valid.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I am not sure ---it isnt too clear. I think they can because they are technically separate contracts. But the documents I have seen dont directly mention this scenerio

I look at this similarly to a situation like say buffalo wanted to sign Callahan but didnt want him eating to high a cap hit the last few years so they instead sign him to say a 3 y deal making high money $8M+ then a 3 yr deal making $4M each for the folowing 3 years. Can they do consecutive contracts like that?

I really reading about the league will prohibit high 1 yr contracts just to get a player then once signed they give him an 8 yr contract contract extension.

Some teams may not want to get hit with th cap it throughout and rather have it be adjusted to different years.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Rumor is, salary was retained by VAN on that luongo deal, so... perhaps I was way off in my salary retention assessment lol

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Its still early but Capgeek has already updated in regards to the Luongo trade. I was playing around with the recapture calculator and according to Capgeek, the Cap benefit to Vancouver doesn't change year to year with the retained salary. It lists a Cap Benefit to VAN of $8,520,373 for every year he could retire between now and the end of his contract. Its possible the retained salary may just not be in capgeek's calculator yet or capgeek doesn't know what to do about it or just forgot about it as an oversight, but its possible that retained salary may not effect recapture at all.

posted this in the ehrhoff thread but thought it was relevant here too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad