Proposal: Buffalo - Calgary

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think we can get a better offer. After this first it's just quantity over quality. I'd rather get a better prospect and lose the picks. Maybe 1st + Kulich?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I think we can get a better offer. After this first it's just quantity over quality. I'd rather get a better prospect and lose the picks. Maybe 1st + Kulich?
I have no interest in giving up Kulich instead of Rosen regardless of the later round picks.

I also have reservations about Hanifin actually signing with us given the ties to Eichel etc

I also have reservations about Hanifin, Dahlin, Power, and Sammy already taking up that much cap space. You could argue Johnson and Joki have been our best Dmen and both will command raises for that in the near term future. I'd be willing to risk that cap structure but Noah isn't who I have in mind for doing so....if he was even willing to. Throwing away Kulich for 1 guaranteed season of Hanifin is just foolish to me. We aren't winning a cup next year with or without him.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have no interest in giving up Kulich instead of Rosen regardless of the later round picks.

I also have reservations about Hanifin actually signing with us given the ties to Eichel etc

I also have reservations about Hanifin, Dahlin, Power, and Sammy already taking up that much cap space. You could argue Johnson and Joki have been our best Dmen and both will command raises for that in the near term future. I'd be willing to risk that cap structure but Noah isn't who I have in mind for doing so....if he was even willing to. Throwing away Kulich for 1 guaranteed season of Hanifin is just foolish to me. We aren't winning a cup next year with or without him.
I think it's safe to assume there would be no deal without a long-term extension, because without that you would only be guaranteed a couple months as he is a UFA on July 1

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I think it's safe to assume there would be no deal without a long-term extension, because without that you would only be guaranteed a couple months as he is a UFA on July 1
Let other Sabres answer in my stead. Hanifin is not gonna be what makes or breaks us as a playoff contending team and his new contract would handcuff us both short term 2-3 years (when Quinn, Peterka, Johnson, Levi etc etc need raises) but also long term. The way I view it as we would eventually have to let Quinn or Peterka walk so you might as well add that to the trade cost. I may be wrong and if so cool but Hanifin even if extended is not the missing piece for us that puts us in a cap crunch. He's just not that impactful.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I would prefer a player more like Hertl. D is actually not this teams issue. Team D is. They have mostly corrected their play since January.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Hanifin isn’t the answer. Already our 4 best defensemen are all lefties. We need some competent righties.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
To Buffalo : Noah Hanifin

To Calgary : 2025 1st top 10 protected , isak Rosen , 2024 3rd round pick , 2025 4th round pick
Buffalo does not need a LD

have no interest in signing Hanifin to a long term contract Given it’s on his 30+ years. If I was I could just sign him for free

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
To Buffalo : Noah Hanifin

To Calgary : 2025 1st top 10 protected , isak Rosen , 2024 3rd round pick , 2025 4th round pick
Feels like an overpay. Unless Hanafin intends to resign.

Which I doubt given how buffalo has taken a big step back this season. That’s a high 1st round pick going to the Flames.

If the flames end up with a ~9th overall pick for rental Hanafin, anything else going to the Flames is gravy.

A playoff team buys that contract for this season. Buffalo blew this season so Hanafin being a good contract for the next few months is meaningless for a lottery team like the Sabers.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Feels like an overpay. Unless Hanafin intends to resign.

Which I doubt given how buffalo has taken a big step back this season. That’s a high 1st round pick going to the Flames.

If the flames end up with a ~9th overall pick for rental Hanafin, anything else going to the Flames is gravy.

A playoff team buys that contract for this season. Buffalo blew this season so Hanafin being a good contract for the next few months is meaningless for a lottery team like the Sabers.
Yet you don’t know how buffalo took a step back.

the differences amount to 2 more points per every 10 games.

therr has bern about 15 or so close games that were 1 goal games or games they were0-6 or worse on PP that small margins could have meant winning games they lost. Thry have had at least 5 games they should have been the winner but the goalie they faced won the game.

the drop this year has been in PP production and injuries to the top 6 forwards. Many are still playing hurt.

they improved their ES

right now as of Jan 1 Lukkonrn has been the best goalie in the league but only at a 500 record.

currently buffalo is fine with LD.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yet you don’t know how buffalo took a step back.

the differences amount to 2 more points per every 10 games.

therr has bern about 15 or so close games that were 1 goal games or games they were0-6 or worse on PP that small margins could have meant winning games they lost. Thry have had at least 5 games they should have been the winner but the goalie they faced won the game.

the drop this year has been in PP production and injuries to the top 6 forwards. Many are still playing hurt.

they improved their ES

right now as of Jan 1 Lukkonrn has been the best goalie in the league but only at a 500 record.

currently buffalo is fine with LD.
I’m not sure why Buffalo needs Hanafin. In the offseason, they should call the Avs to work out a deal around Manson. A big RHD. One who can still skate (unlike EJ).

Avs could use a good bottom six C or some early middle round picks.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Hanifin isn’t the answer. Already our 4 best defensemen are all lefties. We need some competent righties.

From the outside I agree.

Andersson and Tanev make much more sense to me, although Tanev likely would be a FA signing in the summer not a trade now.

Putting him next to Power for the next 3 years would be perfect for his development. He is a guy I would look at overpaying if I were Buffalo.

If I were the Sabres Andersson is a guy that could play in their top 4 for 10 years so giving up a good portion of their quality youth would be worth it.

Reactions: DJN21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad