Post-Game Talk: Buffalo Bills @ WFT -- Hockey Edition | Nick Backstrom's 1000 NHL Game | 4/15/2021 | 7p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
If Sammy is out for a while, why not give Anderson the net vs Buffalo. Safest way to find out if he's any closer to a ballpark NHL goalie than he failed to display in his last stretch of games

Reactions: max21

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
This could work for either Samsonov or Kempny. Battling with Dillon to be whipping boy now Vrana and Panik are gone? :sarcasm:
I liked Kempny pre-injury a lot. One of the better left defenders I've seen in the Caps uniform after the 05 lockout. I was talking about Samsonov. His main excuses for poor play up to this point were covid and adaptation to North America. Now it's an upper body injury. All the best to the kid but since that back injury he sustained due his own foolishness last summer his career is looking like a one big circus.
If Sammy is out for a while, why not give Anderson the net vs Buffalo. Safest way to find out if he's any closer to a ballpark NHL goalie than he failed to display in his last stretch of games
I don't think anybody on the coaching staff really thinks it's a good idea to let Anderson play at this point of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
The last of the bottom dweller games tonight plus Backy 1000 should make it a no-brainer (should being the operative word)

NYI @ BOS 7pm
PHI @ PIT 7pm
NJD @ NYR 7pm

B's have McAvoy back and need pointz, but Aisles have been solid, assuming 2 for NYI
PIT should get an easy 2
Rangers Devs dunno, any given sunday here I think NJ surprises and gets the 2 tonight

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I liked Kempny pre-injury a lot. One of the better left defenders I've seen in the Caps uniform after the 05 lockout. I was talking about Samsonov. His main excuses for poor play up to this point were covid and adaptation to North America. Now it's an upper body injury. All the best to the kid but since that back injury he sustained due his own foolishness last summer his career is looking like a one big curcus.

I was a Kempny fan too. But like Kempny, I think that injury to Samsonov has impacted him – not just the injury itself, but how long it kept him out of competitive play for. He looked a little rusty in the brief preseason scrimmages, I thought – certainly not playing better than Vanecek or Copley – and I don't think he's had great performances 2 or 3 times in a row this season.

That said, he's still relatively young in his career (and age). One of my biggest complaints about how GMBM and co handled the goaltending is they turned to Samsonov this season out of necessity, not because he'd earned it. He really should have been brought over a year earlier so he wasn't playing his first NHL game in Holtby's contract year. Oh well.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I was a Kempny fan too. But like Kempny, I think that injury to Samsonov has impacted him – not just the injury itself, but how long it kept him out of competitive play for. He looked a little rusty in the brief preseason scrimmages, I thought – certainly not playing better than Vanecek or Copley – and I don't think he's had great performances 2 or 3 times in a row this season.

That said, he's still relatively young in his career (and age). One of my biggest complaints about how GMBM and co handled the goaltending is they turned to Samsonov this season out of necessity, not because he'd earned it. He really should have been brought over a year earlier so he wasn't playing his first NHL game in Holtby's contract year. Oh well.
GMBM hasnt been great with the goalies. We should have 100% kept Grubby over Holtby and he was the better cheaper and younger goalie when we traded him.
Lundy was bad luck and now we gotta roll with our 2 Kids and now will lose one to Seattle bc some wacky ED rules.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
GMBM hasnt been great with the goalies. We should have 100% kept Grubby over Holtby and he was the better cheaper and younger goalie when we traded him.
In hindsight you’re correct. In the moment though I’d say GMBM made the decision everyone thought was correct. Grubauer shit the bed for his two playoff games, Holtby comes in and helps win the franchise’s first Stanley Cup. Plus he has a huge defining moment with “The Save” during the finals. The backlash from the fan base would have been intense if he moves Holtby instead of Grubauer

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Lundy was bad luck and now we gotta roll with our 2 Kids and now will lose one to Seattle bc some wacky ED rules.

He couldn't have seen the Lundy injury coming, and had few options by the time the news came along, but if we're honest Lundy was a gamble at best anyway. Two pretty horrid seasons led NYR to turn to their rookies over keeping the face of their franchise, and Lundy was always a risk factor for injury just because of his age.

If we're in a likely last big win-now push of the Ovi era (not just this season, but the coming two or three years), I wish he'd moved Holtby out in favour of a guy like Lehner when he had the chance (having already traded Grubauer).

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Lundqvist for us was more of a mentor type get for the kid goalies while putting in decent work for ~20 games, more or less depending on how Sammy looked. But it was always supposed to be Samsonov's net until Vanecek started opening eyes.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I mean, you can't really fault him for not shipping out his cup-winning goalie right after said cup win. Holtby could easily have been considered a Conn Smythe candidate for that run.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I mean, you can't really fault him for not shipping out his cup-winning goalie right after said cup win. Holtby could easily have been considered a Conn Smythe candidate for that run.

He finished 3rd in the voting, got almost all the 3rd place votes... Also he was under contract and Grubs was not. This hindsight stuff is nonsense.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I don't think anybody on the coaching staff really thinks it's a good idea to let Anderson play at this point of the season.

Yeah - I agree. But if he's still a disaster, it's better to find out now than to learn it a week or two from now when Sammy might still be out and something happens to Vanny. We need a safe way of ascertaining whether Anderson is a non-catastrophe. Based on his earlier work this year, the answer seems to be no.

Or maybe we find out what another goalie in the system can do. Cuz there aren't really any outside the system choices anymore

Jun 15, 2007
In hindsight you’re correct. In the moment though I’d say GMBM made the decision everyone thought was correct. Grubauer shit the bed for his two playoff games, Holtby comes in and helps win the franchise’s first Stanley Cup. Plus he has a huge defining moment with “The Save” during the finals. The backlash from the fan base would have been intense if he moves Holtby instead of Grubauer

Not sure I agree that Grubauer shit the bed. We lost those two games but I wouldn't say it was because Grubauer cost us.

Reactions: HecticGlow

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Yeah - I agree. But if he's still a disaster, it's better to find out now than to learn it a week or two from now when Sammy might still be out and something happens to Vanny. We need a safe way of ascertaining whether Anderson is a non-catastrophe. Based on his earlier work this year, the answer seems to be no.

Or maybe we find out what another goalie in the system can do. Cuz there aren't really any outside the system choices anymore
There's a very big chance all their goalies outside of Vanecek and Samsonov are terrible anyways. I mean we'd all seen them in the past. Copley is an AHLer skill wise If I've ever seen one. Anderson's corpse really aint an answer either. I'm not even talking about Fucale and all these half amateurs. They gonna live or die with Vanecek and Samsonov. And even with them there's a solid chance it'll end up as a total disaster because they're both too inconsistent even through 60 minutes of a single game, let alone on the season's distance.

Jun 15, 2007
You can't blame GMBM for not trading Holtby and keeping Grubauer

but if he had done that, he would be considered the best GM in the league.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

I mean, I was definitely a Grubauer over Holtby guy, but yeah, after the Cup, that just wasn't gonna happen.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Not sure I agree that Grubauer shit the bed. We lost those two games but I wouldn't say it was because Grubauer cost us.
Grubauer had an .852 and an .818 save in Games 1 and 2 respectively and was pulled after the second period in Game 2 after allowing four goals on 22 shots. What would you call that kind of performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad