Buffalo Bills: Offseason - Free Agency: Trade for Antonio Brown is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Poor Vikings....3 years 80 million guaranteed, for a guy who is hot garbage. So glad we didn’t get sucked into spending stupid money on a stopgap.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
So it's still very early, but who are some of your targets at 9? People will hate it but the strength of this draft is defensive players. Oliver as a Williams replacement? Greedy Williams to have an elite pair of lockdown corners? Greg Little or Jonah Williams to get that turd Mills off the field? I like the depth of this WR class, but is 9 too early for Harry or Brown?
I think at this point I'd lean towards one of Jonah Williams or Greg Little. Both look like pretty strong bets to be good tackles at the next level and getting Allen better protection has to be a high priority this offseason.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I know the previous page has us picking 9 but NFL Research seems to think it's 10

Joe B thinks they have an equal SOS and conference schedule which may result in a coin flip.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
So it's still very early, but who are some of your targets at 9? People will hate it but the strength of this draft is defensive players. Oliver as a Williams replacement? Greedy Williams to have an elite pair of lockdown corners? Greg Little or Jonah Williams to get that turd Mills off the field? I like the depth of this WR class, but is 9 too early for Harry or Brown?
I think at this point I'd lean towards one of Jonah Williams or Greg Little. Both look like pretty strong bets to be good tackles at the next level and getting Allen better protection has to be a high priority this offseason.
yep agree 100%, my first thought was hoping one of the T's will be there. But even if its one of the DL, or Greedy or even Brown, they're still going to get a great prospect.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
I know the previous page has us picking 9 but NFL Research seems to think it's 10

Joe B thinks they have an equal SOS and conference schedule which may result in a coin flip.

Pretty sure Joe is right and NFL Research is wrong (I think they forgot to take tonight's game into account; the Broncos have a better SOS right now, but the Bills will tie it regardless of who wins tonight).

That said, a coin flip is a stupid way to determine who picks 9th. Why can't the NFL just use the playoff tiebreaking procedures to break ties in the draft order?

Reactions: Waterfowlist

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I think it's because of the Indy/Tenn game pending that could result in a tie. With that game not yet taking place it is impossible for the Broncos and Bills to have the same SOS even if it is likely they will once the game is final.

I believe the Bills opponents currently have 120 losses so if the late game ends in a tie then Denver picks 9th and if there is a winner it could be a coin flip if Joe B is correct about the tie breaking rules as to the draft order.

The rules of the NFL Draft | NFL Football Operations
In situations where teams finished the previous season with identical records, the determination of draft position is decided by strength of schedule — the aggregate winning percentage of a team’s opponents. The team that played the schedule with the lowest winning percentage will be awarded the higher pick.

If the teams have the same strength of schedule, division or conference tiebreakers are applied. If the divisional or conference tiebreakers are not applicable, ties will be broken by a coin flip.

Wikipedia says the coin flip occurs at the combine.

Since it was suggested above this is the rules for a wild card tie-breaker for two teams if not in the same division.
  1. Head-to-head, if applicable
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four
  4. Strength of victory
  5. Strength of schedule
  6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed
  7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed
  8. Best net points in conference games
  9. Best net points in all games
  10. Best net touchdowns in all games
  11. Coin toss
However in a wild card situation a team is rewarded for having a better strength of victory whereas for draft purposes they would want to reward the team with the lower strength of victory.

Last edited:

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

I asked on an earlier page - but is Williams available at 9 & how does he compare to the likes of Nelson.

For me

R1 - best elite OL available
R2 - fastest WR available

I'd also like a RB, TE plus 1 or more interior OL in the later rounds.

DT - already have Phillips to take over from Williams
LB - already have Edmunds/Milano
CB - do they really need someone here? Greedy is intriguing (didn't he also play with White before?) but using a top pick here is a waste here for me given all the other holes on offence.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If they take a defensive player at 9 they will be fired by the end of 2020 guaranteed. No offensive weapon is taking their money to come to buffalo to die. They need to draft the most talented receiver in this draft and try to pretend they understand what f***ing year it is.

They had the #2 defense this year (and top pass D) and their planned cb starter retired at halftime of his first game. Enough. I’m confident they can find what they need on D in free agency and later in the draft. Or undrafted free agents.

I know they won’t find a legit #1 WR any other way.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
If they take a defensive player at 9 they will be fired by the end of 2020 guaranteed. No offensive weapon is taking their money to come to buffalo to die. They need to draft the most talented receiver in this draft and try to pretend they understand what ****ing year it is.

They had the #2 defense this year (and top pass D) and their planned cb starter retired at halftime of his first game. Enough. I’m confident they can find what they need on D in free agency and later in the draft. Or undrafted free agents.

I know they won’t find a legit #1 WR any other way.
You don't know that at all. Plenty of high end guys WR's have come outside of the top half of the 1st. Who's the guy you take at 9 if you "need to take a WR there"? Do you reach for a WR there if none of these WR's grade out as a top half of the 1st type of talents? Everyone sees the need at WR that doesn't mean it can't be addressed in the 2nd round and it doesn't mean if the team uses their 1st on a defensive player they're doomed. Team need has to be balanced with getting the best player available with where you are picking.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'd take Greg Little or Jonah Williams at 9/10. There's no receiver worth that pick.

For the rest of the OL, free agency could work. Trent Brown or Daryl Williams (if the Bills think his knee is ok) solidifies the line. Sign Ali Marpet at center, slide Dawkins to guard, and let Teller/Miller/rookies battle for the last position.

I'd look at a receiver in round two, or a free agent like Tyrell Williams. Someone who can stretch the field. TE would also be a big find.

Address defense in free agency. All the best free agents are are defense.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I asked on an earlier page - but is Williams available at 9 & how does he compare to the likes of Nelson.

For me

CB - do they really need someone here? Greedy is intriguing (didn't he also play with White before?) but using a top pick here is a waste here for me given all the other holes on offence.
I don't think Williams or Little compare to Nelson and that's not really a slight on either one of them. Guys with Nelson's combination of strength, smarts, and nasty streak are very difficult to find. I like the general outline of OL @ 1 and WR @ 2 at least at this point. Things can change in the coming months.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Here’s where the top ten spots in the draft currently stand, along with the accompanying record for each team:
  1. Arizona Cardinals: 3-12
  2. New York Jets: 4-12
  3. San Francisco 49ers: 4-11
  4. Oakland Raiders: 4-11
  5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 5-11
  6. New York Giants: 5-10
  7. Jacksonville Jaguars: 5-11
  8. Detroit Lions: 6-10
  9. Buffalo Bills: 6-10
  10. Denver Broncos: 6-10
UPDATE 9:30 p.m. Eastern:

We’ve changed this article a few times now based on fluctuating math but we have clarification now. FYI.

The first tiebreaker is strength of schedule, which sorts out the Lions ahead of Buffalo and Denver. The Bills and Broncos have identical SOS, and so it moves to conference tiebreakers. Here is the breakdown, courtesy of Adam Stites:

1. Strength of schedule (opponents for both are 133-121-2)
2. Conference record (both are 4-8)
3. Common games (both are 1-4)
4. Strength of victory (record of teams Bills beat 39-45-1; Broncos 44-41-1)

Bills will pick 9th, Broncos 10th

Last edited:

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY

For me

Williams and Nelson don't play the same position. At the moment, I also prefer the OL/WR draft plan, but I'd also be okay with DL. We'll have to see what they manage to get in FA. The only top prospect that I think is a trap from a roster-building perspective is Greedy. I think the secondary has shown it can perform plenty well without a top-10 pick opposite White. Obviously a trade-down would be ideal, but the Giants and Jaguars pick ahead of us. Maybe hope for a Davenport-like trade.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Joe B: 7 observations from Bills - Dolphins

BK_ZR0Nk

(WKBW) — For one final time, the Buffalo Bills took to the field in the 2018 season. With a purpose that felt like it was bigger than just a pair of non-playoff teams playing out the string, the Bills cruised to a 42-17 victory over the Miami Dolphins to complete their season with a 6-10 record.

The Bills waved goodbye to their captain, saw the youth of their organization shine, and got to leave New Era Field until 2019 with a good feeling. How did it all come to be?

Seven observations from the Bills' win over the Dolphins:

1) Kyle's final farewell
2) Josh Allen ends on a high note
3) McCoy's nightmare season
4) Edmunds saves his best for last
5) Young corner duo flashing potential
6) Is Shaq Lawson making the Bills ponder their upcoming decision on him this offseason?
7) Charles Clay's Bills career likely ends without a whimper

Bills MVP: DT Kyle Williams

- The day was all about him, and I'm not sure the Bills would have had the type of motivation they exhibited had they not known this was the last game of Williams' career. On any normal day Josh Allen probably gets this award by way of five touchdowns. This wasn't any normal day.

Bills LVP: P Matt Darr
- A mediocre season of punting was capped off by another poor showing from Darr. The Bills have two young punters on Injured Reserve that they've hung on to, so I'd imagine a punting battle between Cory Carter and Corey Bojorquez is on the way in the summer of 2019.

Draft Pick Update: The Bills will select 9th overall in the 2019 NFL Draft. After some confusion on Sunday, here's why. The first tiebreaker is the strength of schedule, to which the Bills and Broncos are both tied at 0.523, and since they are in the same conference, it goes to conference tiebreakers. The second tiebreaker is conference record, in which both teams have an identical 4-8 record. From there, it goes to record in games against common opponents, to which both sides have a 1-4 record. The final deciding factor is the strength of victory, to which the Broncos' opponents that they've defeated have more total wins than the teams that the Bills beat. Therefore, the Bills get the 9th overall pick, and the Broncos get the 10th overall selection.

Up Next: It's all over. The Bills clean out their lockers on Monday, and the next we'll hear from the Bills will be down in Mobile, Alabama for the 2019 Senior Bowl.

The Buffalo Bills ended their season on a high note, with a thorough 42-17 thrashing of the Miami Dolphins to improve their record to 6-10 on the season. In a day that those in attendance won't soon forget, Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn reflect on Kyle Williams' final game, Josh Allen's five TD day, the progress the youth showed, and one banger of a Come on, Darlene award section.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I'd take Greg Little or Jonah Williams at 9/10. There's no receiver worth that pick.

For the rest of the OL, free agency could work. Trent Brown or Daryl Williams (if the Bills think his knee is ok) solidifies the line. Sign Ali Marpet at center, slide Dawkins to guard, and let Teller/Miller/rookies battle for the last position.

I'd look at a receiver in round two, or a free agent like Tyrell Williams. Someone who can stretch the field. TE would also be a big find.

Address defense in free agency. All the best free agents are are defense.

I believe Marpet re-signed. I agree with Williams (obviously pending medical). Others of interest would be Rodger Saffold and Matt Paradis (also pending medical).

Priority #1 is the O-Line. Allen needs weapons but nothing is going to help him more than actually being able to establish a ground game. I think he can be a franchise guy but he isn’t going to be Rodgers, Brady, Brees. He’s more like Wilson, Newton, Big Ben. Those guys most successful season featured a strong O-Line and run game. Allen has had to be our entire offense and that’s not a recipe for long term success.

Obviously we need to add a WR and TE. I wouldn’t mind a trade down in the 1st. I expect major resources will be put towards TE. They’re going to want to find Allen his Olsen.

Reactions: Der Jaeger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->