Bills: Offseason - 1st Pick DT Ed Oliver, 2nd Pick OT Cody Ford, 3rd Pick RB Devin Singletary

Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Daniel Jeremiah's top 100 prospects for 2019 NFL Draft

With the Arizona Cardinals set to make the first pick of the 2019 NFL Draft (on Thursday, April 25 in Nashville, Tennessee), it's time for my final prospect rankings of draft season.

To see every draft pick each team holds in the 2019 NFL Draft, click here.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Maybe it’s wishful thinking, but ai really have it stuck in my head that the Bills need to trade a pick for DT Gerald McCoy. It makes too much sense. He doesn’t fit in TB’s new system. He fits in with the Bills. TB can find a better fit in the draft deep in DTs.

With that hope in mind, I am skipping DT in the first round of the draft. We need a new wave of DE, but we can franchise Hughes for a year if needed and Harold excites me as his eventual replacement. Mid round pick but not Sweat or Gary at #9.

Therefore, I’d like to see some combination of TE, OT, & WR the first three rounds. 4th round is Love and trade for McCoy. Then DE, CB, LB, OG among others to finish the draft.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Mel and Todd's Mock Draft on Espn have us taking Oliver at 9

Murray
Bosa
Allen
Q Williams
D White
Haskins
Hockenson
Sweat
Oliver

Reactions: brian_griffin

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I would love to add McCoy at DT for say the KC 4th or better yet our 5tb. The Bills have traded for a big $ DT in the past with Marcus Stroud. Trading for McCoy would allow us to truly go for BPA at #9.

Without that trade though I am pining for Ed Oliver. He has far too much talent, production and pedigree to pass on him if he is there. He was considered the top prospect coming into the 2018 season. We have a major hole at DT. Star is simply a run stuffer with virtually no pass rush ability and Phillips is just a decent rotational guy. Jordan Phillips is not a long term solution either.

And with how many different OL we have brought in, even with so many short term deals I do not see the Bills going OL at #9. I think the Bills have 8-9 OL already under contract that will form our vastly improved OL for 2019.

If we are at 9 and Oliver is there you take him. If he isn't then you trade down for a TE/Metcalf etc.

And if one of Josh Allen or Quinnen Williams are somehow available at #6, Beane needs to call up his old buddy and make that trade happen. If we can add Josh Allen or Q. Williams I am offering #9+2019 3rd+2020 3rd+2019 KC 4th to move up and grab that elite talent. Using the Jimmy Johnson chart and even the new one, a 2019 3rd, 2019 4th and 2020 3rd is more then enough to move up 3 spots. And with how many players we have signed and with how many picks we have I definitely see Beane manuevering during the draft. He did it for Allen and Edmunds and I think he would do it for Allen or Q Williams also.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Im not sure why all the confusion around Yeldon.

Its clear that with that 2 year deal that the plan is to likely move on from Gore and Shady after this year and go with Yeldon and a 2020 rookie. Added benefit is that 2020 draft is a massive RB draft.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Maybe it’s wishful thinking, but ai really have it stuck in my head that the Bills need to trade a pick for DT Gerald McCoy. It makes too much sense. He doesn’t fit in TB’s new system. He fits in with the Bills. TB can find a better fit in the draft deep in DTs.

With that hope in mind, I am skipping DT in the first round of the draft. We need a new wave of DE, but we can franchise Hughes for a year if needed and Harold excites me as his eventual replacement. Mid round pick but not Sweat or Gary at #9.

Therefore, I’d like to see some combination of TE, OT, & WR the first three rounds. 4th round is Love and trade for McCoy. Then DE, CB, LB, OG among others to finish the draft.

Wishful thinking here on my part too. This is exactly how I feel.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Missed the news about the Yeldon signing too. Don't really get it - I'd hoped they would draft a RB somewhere but doubt there is room now.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Pretty easy to figure out. He is a guy who can catch 50/3 out of the backfield for you. Also seems to be lining up like the NE model where you have 3 guys who all play and each having different skill sets.

Missed the news about the Yeldon signing too. Don't really get it - I'd hoped they would draft a RB somewhere but doubt there is room now.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Pretty easy to figure out. He is a guy who can catch 50/3 out of the backfield for you. Also seems to be lining up like the NE model where you have 3 guys who all play and each having different skill sets.

In relation to drafting a RB.

Three is fine but I don't see space for four guys there.... I'd hoped they would take a RB with one of the middle picks with a view of having that guy work in with McCoy / Gore.

Don't see that happening now.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

2019 NFL Draft: Efficient Day 1 trades; 3 QB situations to watch

It's draft week! Around the NFL, prospect evaluations are complete, draft boards set. And after a month-plus of wheeling and dealing in free agency, each team's needs and position priorities can be more easily weighed against the draft order. Of course, it won't take long on draft night for a few trades to blow up everyone's best-laid mock drafts.

Yes, trades are a major component of the madness that is draft weekend. And when teams are conjuring up deals, many reference a chart created back in the 1990s by Jimmy Johnson which quantifies the value of each draft slot. Now, obviously, there are market dynamics that influence pick trades (like actually finding a trade partner and agreeing on terms), but that chart provides great context when it comes to understanding more about how a trade is initially valued. Some things, like the exact value of a pick in a future year, can never be fully taken into account because the draft order changes every year.

3) The Bills go after my highest-rated prospect

Buffalo Bills receive:
-- 2019 first-round pick (No. 2 overall)
-- 2019 sixth-round pick (No. 176)

San Francisco 49ers receive:
-- 2019 first-round pick (No. 9)
-- 2019 fifth-round pick (No. 147)
-- 2019 sixth-round pick (No. 181)
-- 2020 first-round pick (valued at approximately pick No. 12)

Why it works for the Bills: With most mock drafts connecting Kyler Murray to the Cardinals at the first overall pick, and the Raiders sitting at No. 4 with several key needs (and the capital to move all over the draft board), the strategy for the 49ers at No. 2 and Jets at No. 3 is very interesting. Since trading with the Jets would be an in-division move, the Bills are more likely to work with the Niners on a deal. Should my model's highest-rated player, Quinnen Williams, be available at No. 2, the Bills could craft a trade for the Alabama defensive tackle and fill a huge team need; though, the trade would require giving up their first-round pick in 2020. I told you that my model is most focused on winning this season, but that doesn't mean it doesn't consider future seasons at all. Simply put, the opportunity to draft Williams is worth the future costs, given the premium at his position and the Bills' current roster.

Why it works for the 49ers: In this scenario, the Niners limit their odds of acquiring one of the premium pass rushers in the 2019 draft, but at ninth overall, they still have the ability to address their pass defense. With quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo returning from injury and the offseason defensive additions of Dee Ford and Kwon Alexander, the 49ers created options for this season and added value for 2020. Should they have a top-10 valuation on a corner (Deandre Baker is a CB my model likes for them), they could pull the trigger at No. 9. However, depending on the quarterback market (for example, do the Giants take a QB at No. 6?), San Francisco could spin this pick into even more draft capital, as the team would now sit one slot ahead of the Broncos, who could be in play for a young signal-caller.
I would not make this move

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

2019 NFL Draft: Efficient Day 1 trades; 3 QB situations to watch

It's draft week! Around the NFL, prospect evaluations are complete, draft boards set. And after a month-plus of wheeling and dealing in free agency, each team's needs and position priorities can be more easily weighed against the draft order. Of course, it won't take long on draft night for a few trades to blow up everyone's best-laid mock drafts.

Yes, trades are a major component of the madness that is draft weekend. And when teams are conjuring up deals, many reference a chart created back in the 1990s by Jimmy Johnson which quantifies the value of each draft slot. Now, obviously, there are market dynamics that influence pick trades (like actually finding a trade partner and agreeing on terms), but that chart provides great context when it comes to understanding more about how a trade is initially valued. Some things, like the exact value of a pick in a future year, can never be fully taken into account because the draft order changes every year.

3) The Bills go after my highest-rated prospect

Buffalo Bills receive:
-- 2019 first-round pick (No. 2 overall)
-- 2019 sixth-round pick (No. 176)

San Francisco 49ers receive:
-- 2019 first-round pick (No. 9)
-- 2019 fifth-round pick (No. 147)
-- 2019 sixth-round pick (No. 181)
-- 2020 first-round pick (valued at approximately pick No. 12)

Why it works for the Bills: With most mock drafts connecting Kyler Murray to the Cardinals at the first overall pick, and the Raiders sitting at No. 4 with several key needs (and the capital to move all over the draft board), the strategy for the 49ers at No. 2 and Jets at No. 3 is very interesting. Since trading with the Jets would be an in-division move, the Bills are more likely to work with the Niners on a deal. Should my model's highest-rated player, Quinnen Williams, be available at No. 2, the Bills could craft a trade for the Alabama defensive tackle and fill a huge team need; though, the trade would require giving up their first-round pick in 2020. I told you that my model is most focused on winning this season, but that doesn't mean it doesn't consider future seasons at all. Simply put, the opportunity to draft Williams is worth the future costs, given the premium at his position and the Bills' current roster.

Why it works for the 49ers: In this scenario, the Niners limit their odds of acquiring one of the premium pass rushers in the 2019 draft, but at ninth overall, they still have the ability to address their pass defense. With quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo returning from injury and the offseason defensive additions of Dee Ford and Kwon Alexander, the 49ers created options for this season and added value for 2020. Should they have a top-10 valuation on a corner (Deandre Baker is a CB my model likes for them), they could pull the trigger at No. 9. However, depending on the quarterback market (for example, do the Giants take a QB at No. 6?), San Francisco could spin this pick into even more draft capital, as the team would now sit one slot ahead of the Broncos, who could be in play for a young signal-caller.
Few things would make me more upset than trading away next year's first round pick to trade up and get a DT.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
And with 10 votes in, Quinnen Williams wins with 80% of the vote. The Hock gets the add.

HF Bills Big Board #3

1. Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State (55%)
  2. Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama (80%)
I voted for Josh Allen, who I think is the final top flight player that is so good he justifies taking defense. The top 3 are in a class of their own, IMO. Add Taylor

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I voted for Josh Allen, who I think is the final top flight player that is so good he justifies taking defense. The top 3 are in a class of their own, IMO. Add Taylor

I went with Hockenson. All about positional need

Add Jonah

Semi OT - isn't Allen more a 3-4 scheme fit?

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I went with Hockenson. All about positional need

Add Jonah

Semi OT - isn't Allen more a 3-4 scheme fit?

Scheme fit doesn't matter much with Allen. He's such a beast. A good DC would put him where his talent is best utilized. Plus the Bills have never drafted a bad player named Josh Allen before. Go with the track record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad