GDT: Buffalo Bills @ Detroit Lions 8PM Friday 8.23.2019

Member 308457

Barkley deserves a chance to start in the regular season. I'm not convinced of Allen.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Barkley deserves a chance to start in the regular season. I'm not convinced of Allen.
The same way Peterman did after looking good in the preseason?

I’m a Barkley fan and wish we had drafted him from the get go. I think he always had the talent and MAY be finally finding his game in the NFL. That being said, Allen is (and should) going to start every game this year he isn’t injured in until he proves that he’s not capable.

I like Barkley as insurance and I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of him being the starter at some point in the future, but this is Josh Allen’s team until he fails.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
The same way Peterman did after looking good in the preseason?

I’m a Barkley fan and wish we had drafted him from the get go. I think he always had the talent and MAY be finally finding his game in the NFL. That being said, Allen is (and should) going to start every game this year he isn’t injured in until he proves that he’s not capable.

I like Barkley as insurance and I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of him being the starter at some point in the future, but this is Josh Allen’s team until he fails.

If McDermott and Beane benched their own hand picked QB in favor of NFL backup and journeyman Matt Barkley they would be immediately fired by any ownership group that knew a bit about football.

Luckily the Pegulas seem to be hockey experts instead..

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Again, Baker Mayfield looked far worse than Allen last night and I’m sure no one is losing sleep in Cleveland.

Preseason means nothing, good or bad.

Remember when Stupar looked like a monster tight end? Remember when Peterman was nearly perfect a few weeks in a row? They ran the ball 18 times out of 24 plays. Hard to really judge a QB that threw a total of 6 passes.

Reactions: Dingo44

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Again, Baker Mayfield looked far worse than Allen last night and I’m sure no one is losing sleep in Cleveland.

Preseason means nothing, good or bad.

Remember when Stupar looked like a monster tight end? Remember when Peterman was nearly perfect a few weeks in a row? They ran the ball 18 times out of 24 plays. Hard to really judge a QB that threw a total of 6 passes.

Baker has a smooth release, great mechanics, and is accurate. Allen has terrible throwing mechanics, bad footwork, and is inaccurate. Any individual game can broadcast there weaknesses and strengths, but Baker is going to be a great QB, Allen will be average at best.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Elway had a career comp % of 56.9. Teams can win with a QB below 60% if everything else is in place, not saying Allen is going to be Elway, probably more like a Jake Plummer (57.1). He's going to be a gamer imo, sure there will be some missed throws here and there, but if he can still make some plays with his feet, D is strong and they can get any sort of consistent running game going forward, I think he can be more than 'average'.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Elway had a career comp % of 56.9. Teams can win with a QB below 60% if everything else is in place, not saying Allen is going to be Elway, probably more like a Jake Plummer (57.1). He's going to be a gamer imo, sure there will be some missed throws here and there, but if he can still make some plays with his feet, D is strong and they can get any sort of consistent running game going forward, I think he can be more than 'average'.

This is 2019. The game has changed from 20 years ago. And they spent a LOT of draft capital on Josh Allen. What is the point of spending all that on a QB if he can't conduct a present day NFL passing attack?

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Let's also keep in mind that our receivers are still pretty ****ty

Tier 10: Receiving Is Not an Organizational Priority

31. Buffalo Bills

WR: John Brown
WR: Cole Beasley
WR: Zay Jones/Robert Foster
RB: LeSean McCoy
TE: Tyler Kroft
The Bills have one of the league’s better deep receivers in John Brown and another up-and-coming deep artist in Robert Foster. They filled out the unit with slot maestro and surprisingly not awful rapper Cole Beasley to work underneath them. But these players are window dressing for a nonexistent window. Since trading Sammy Watkins to the Rams two years ago, Buffalo has barely tried to fill the void at the center of its pass-catching game, and rookie quarterback Josh Allen may pay the price.

An Unbiased, Totally Correct Ranking of Every NFL Pass-Catching Group

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006

31. Buffalo Bills

The Bills have one of the league’s better deep receivers in John Brown and another up-and-coming deep artist in Robert Foster. They filled out the unit with slot maestro and surprisingly not awful rapper Cole Beasley to work underneath them. But these players are window dressing for a nonexistent window. Since trading Sammy Watkins to the Rams two years ago, Buffalo has barely tried to fill the void at the center of its pass-catching game, and rookie quarterback Josh Allen may pay the price.

31. Buffalo Bills

Wow their is very little high end WR talent in the NFL anymore

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Is Allen guaranteed to have the starting job?
Hehe, seems like you missed training camp+the last two preseason games in which show he is developing really well. They focused on the run Friday night. Allen had two terrible throws, but that doesn't negate the development he has shown from last Sept until today.

Reactions: Dingo44

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Hehe, seems like you missed training camp+the last two preseason games in which show he is developing really well. They focused on the run Friday night. Allen had two terrible throws, but that doesn't negate the development he has shown from last Sept until today.
Is that a yes? They will hand him the starting job?

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Allen's inability to work the dink-and-dunk game effectively scares the hell out of me. He's got the personality, leadership traits, raw skills, and all the other things you'd normally want in a QB, but the league is favoring QB's who can work the middle of the field and that's one thing I just don't see a lot of improvement in.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Allen's inability to work the dink-and-dunk game effectively scares the hell out of me. He's got the personality, leadership traits, raw skills, and all the other things you'd normally want in a QB, but the league is favoring QB's who can work the middle of the field and that's one thing I just don't see a lot of improvement in.
He has actually worked it very well in the pre-season with Beasley on board and to an extent Sweeney. I would assume once Croom and Know are up to conditioning they will factor in. Allen just needs to set his feet and not fire a fastball every time, which he has improved on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->