Buffalo Bills (3-7): Next game 11/25 v. Jaguars (3-6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Anyone who believes they take a QB in the first round next year needs to take a step back. It is not going to happen at all. He is this regime's pick and until they get removed they won't go against it. (With the streak being ended I think they have another 3 to 4 years easy, no matter what)

Let me say I didn't want Allen either...and the fact we went into the year with Petterman as our backup made me want to vomit. With that being said, I'm not ready to also write Allen off as being a pure arm talent. He's raw, and the accuracy is a major issue that needs to be corrected...but he is an outstanding athlete and seems to be smart...so let's hope that it comes together for him.

Yes, I'd rather have a QB throw for 250+ & 3TDs consistently...but for being sustainable at 100 yards....it worked last year.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The fact that we took Josh Allen, against all the evidence, continues to give me such a profound sadness. In other news, Josh Rosen threw for 240 yards and completed 68% of his passes yesterday.

He also lost, accounted for 0 TDs and threw a pick and took 4 sacks. While having an elite RB and HoF WR on his team.

Swap roles and lets see how Rosen does here. And I am not an Allen fan. Rosen is not that good either.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
He also lost, accounted for 0 TDs and threw a pick and took 4 sacks. While having an elite RB and HoF WR on his team.

Swap roles and lets see how Rosen does here. And I am not an Allen fan. Rosen is not that good either.

Rosen has shown far better than Allen with a crap supporting cast.

What we learned so far from Sunday's Week 4 games

3. Don't get caught up in the box score when looking at Cardinals rookie quarterback Josh Rosen's first career start. Rosen completed 15 of 27 passes for 180 yards and a touchdown with some impressive throws, but his receiving corps didn't help out a lot early in the game. Wide receivers Christian Kirk, Larry Fitzgerald and J.J. Nelson all dropped passes, and Fitzgerald experienced a very uncharacteristic two drops in the first half. Rosen had perfect ball placement on deep passes to Kirk and Nelson, only to see the ball squirt away. Nelson, in particular, dropped a pass that should have set the Cardinals up with a first-and-goal at about the 5-yard line.

Nevertheless, Rosen showed poise throughout the game to overcome the drops and led the team late in the fourth quarter to the game-tying score with a laser 22-yard strike to wide receiver Chad Williams. Given his arm strength and ability to shake off early adversity, the Cardinals rookie's future looks bright.

-- Herbie Teope

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Rosen isn't nearly as good as media people who said he was going to be good before the draft now stretch to maintain

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Injuries: Bills don't expect elbow surgery for Josh Allen

The Buffalo Bills believe the sprained ulnar collateral ligament in Josh Allen's throwing elbow will not require Tommy John surgery, and the one-year recovery tab that accompanies that procedure, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported Tuesday.

"You don't see a whole lot of that in football and the hope is here that this will not be the case with Josh Allen, that it will be something that will keep him out maybe a couple of weeks here but they're hopeful that it is something that will heal," Garafolo said on NFL Up To The Minute.

Meanwhile, Allen is scheduled to see noted physician Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion on his elbow.

"The hope is that he will just confirm what the initial belief was, which is again, a little bit of rest, a little bit of rehab and then he's back on the field within a couple of weeks," Garafolo said.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Rosen literally has a better supporting cast. David Johnson is elite. Fitz is still a high end wr. They have a better line then ours as sad as it sounds. Rosen would look horrible behind our line and throwing to Kelvin Benjamin.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'll admit- I was happy with the McCaron trade, but now I'm looking dumb. He would've been nice to have right now. Hindsight is 20/20, but it's clear management/coaching made a blunder with keeping Peterman as the back up.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'll admit- I was happy with the McCaron trade, but now I'm looking dumb. He would've been nice to have right now. Hindsight is 20/20, but it's clear management/coaching made a blunder with keeping Peterman as the back up.
Agree re: McCarron. Keeping Peterman isn't as much of a blunder - he is still wildly inexperienced, and some arguments might be made he could be serviceable if developed in a better organization, with better coaching and surrounding talent). The real blunder was trading both Taylor and McCarron and having no better experience than Allen (0 NFL games) and Peterman (4 NFL games, 2 starts) to enter the 2018 season.

I don't care how good he looked in 2018 pre-season. It is pre-season.
His regular season time before then was to enter the already-decided travesty vs. New Orleans mid-way (I was at that game), then his infamous debut debacle at the Chargers, then came in late in an already-decided thrashing vs. New England, then starting the snow-globe game vs. the Colts.

Bills have mis-handled the QB position in every possible way. From the TT & AJ trades before the draft (signaled to other teams to ask for an over-payment for a draft trade-up), to the trade-up at the draft (cock-blocked by the Jets), to the pick itself (Allen over Rosen), to trading McCarron without acquiring another vet backup on the roster immediately / beforehand, to switching from Peterman to Allen after only 1 week which went directly against the stated objective to develop Allen slowly this season.

Hopefully, they've used up all their dumb and can begin to move upwards from here. Some how. #TrustTheProcess.

Reactions: Sabreality

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I have watched him play. He's already good and will only improve with experience along with better players around him.

I have also watched him play both in college and in his limited NFL action, and while he may end up reaching his potential, he's not good now.

I guess the "big boi throws" are evidence in his favor lol

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I have also watched him play both in college and in his limited NFL action, and while he may end up reaching his potential, he's not good now.

I guess the "big boi throws" are evidence in his favor lol

In what way is he not good? I plenty of good from his pre-snap diagnosis, pocket mobility, throwing accuracy in tight windows, coverage manipulation, standing in against pressure, and command of the offense.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I wouldn't say he's mastered half of those things, but that's why they're soft factors. It's also in the combination of some of these things that it shows.

For example, in a vacuum you might say he's both mobile and accurate (i'd contest the first relative to NFL level expectations), but his accuracy while mobile has been a severe weakness. He's also overconfident to the point he'll force bad throws he isn't capable of making.That's fine against Washington State or whatever but the NFL will punish you for it. I also don't see effective pocket presence yet.

That said, I had him as my #1/#2 going in, which i think i put itt before the draft. He could definitely develop into the guy, but imo he's getting kid gloves treatment from media that anointed him pre-draft

tldr he's capable of placing nfl throws but he isn't yet consistent or well rounded

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I wouldn't say he's mastered half of those things, but that's why they're soft factors. It's also in the combination of some of these things that it shows.

For example, in a vacuum you might say he's both mobile and accurate (i'd contest the first relative to NFL level expectations), but his accuracy while mobile has been a severe weakness. He's also overconfident to the point he'll force bad throws he isn't capable of making.That's fine against Washington State or whatever but the NFL will punish you for it. I also don't see effective pocket presence yet.

That said, I had him as my #1/#2 going in, which i think i put itt before the draft. He could definitely develop into the guy, but imo he's getting kid gloves treatment from media that anointed him pre-draft

tldr he's capable of placing nfl throws but he isn't yet consistent or well rounded

Who said anything about mastering those attributes. He has shown that he can do all of them at this early stage of his rookie campaign.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Joe B: Buffalo Bills All-22 Review - Week 6 vs. Houston Texans

GettyImages-1052140878_1539728953477_100593423_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

(WKBW) - After an upset victory over an AFC South foe, the Buffalo Bills set back out to try and do the same thing -- only this time on the road. Instead, the Bills coughed up a late lead while witnessing the implosion of their backup quarterback down the stretch, which led to a 20-13 defeat to the Houston Texans.

Up next the Bills have questions at the quarterback position, and are back on the road for the fourth time in five weeks -- taking on a 1-5 Indianapolis Colts team that is desperate for a victory. Before that happens, first is an in-depth look at the individual performances from the Week Six loss to the Texans, which dropped the Bills to a 2-4 record on the 2018 season.

Each week, WKBW.com will review the film, and bring you how each player graded out in the previous week, with the help of the Game Pass app on NFL.com. You can see a full explanation of how the grades get calculated at the bottom of the article.

Before we get to the individual grades, first some takeaways from the game to help fill in some of the gaps between the grades that you'll see:

1) Pocket probs with Josh Allen
2) The Bills cannot start Nathan Peterman
3) Milano is flashing Pro Bowl level ability
4) Eddie Yarbrough dominant in the run game
5) I have no idea why Miami released Jordan Phillips

How the grades work:

Every Tuesday, when the All-22 film becomes available, we’ll go through and watch each play and every player on each play as many times as necessary, to assess a letter grade for that game to the player. It is a subjective analysis, and it’s important to note that we do not know the play calls and full responsibilities. With that written, the grades stem from technique, outstanding efforts, and presumed liability.

The study accounts only for players that take a snap on offense or defense, and players with under 15 snaps -- unless they have a significant impact on the game -- will not factor into weekly rankings.

Season-long grades have been tallied and documented, with an individual game’s grade weighted for how much the player was on the field in a given week. Those will be available starting in Week Two.

Previous Weeks:
Week 1 - Ravens 47, Bills 3
Week 2 - Chargers 31, Bills 20
Week 3 - Bills 27, Vikings 6
Week 4 - Packers 22, Bills 0
Week 5 - Bills 13, Titans 12
Week 6 - Texans 20, Bills 13

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Bills expect Josh Allen to miss at least 2-3 games

Bills quarterback Josh Allen received a second opinion on his sprained elbow from Dr. James Andrews, and while he won't need surgery, the expectation as of now is Allen will miss at least two or three games, then be week-to-week from there, a source told NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

The damage is to Allen's ulnar collateral ligament and it's not a full tear, Pelissero added. There's no sense he needs Tommy John surgery, as NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported said this morning.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Week 6 DVOA Ratings | Football Outsiders

We have to talk about the insane split right now between the Buffalo Bills offense and the Buffalo Bills defense.

The Buffalo Bills defense right now is third in DVOA, narrowly behind Baltimore. The Bills are even better against the pass, second behind Chicago. The offense, on the other hand, is the worst in the league. But this is not a run of the mill worst of the league. We've had plenty of teams before that were run-of-the-mill bad on offense and very good on defense. The Bills are in another galaxy compared to the rest of the offense-fortified NFL of 2018. Right now, the average team is gaining 5.7 yards per play. Arizona is 31st at 4.4 yards per play. Buffalo is way down at 3.7 yards per play. It's even worse if we look at net yards per pass attempt. The NFL average is 6.6, and Arizona is 31st at 5.1. Buffalo is way down with 3.8 net yards per pass attempt. The Bills lead the league with nine interceptions and are dead last with only three passing touchdowns. (Somehow they are not in last place in total offensive touchdowns; Buffalo has seven and Tennessee has only six.)

Put it all together and normalize for the overall offensive environment of the 2018 season, and Buffalo now has the second-worst offense we've ever tracked through six games.

Now, we could compare Buffalo to other teams that have had a high ranking in offensive DVOA and a really low ranking in defensive DVOA. For example, last year's Arizona Cardinals were 30th on offense and fourth on defense. However, what really matters here is the rating, not the ranking. The Bills are so, so far behind everyone else in offensive DVOA that it's not enough just to say that they rank dead last.

So I've put together this historical table of similar teams through six games. These are teams that had a bottom-five offensive DVOA but a strong defensive DVOA, with the biggest gap between the two, looking at the actual rating rather than just the ranking. You'll notice that the only team with a bigger gap was the team that's ahead of Buffalo (or should I say behind?) for worst offense through six games: the 2004 Miami Dolphins. That team had just four offensive touchdowns through six games. But they also only allowed seven offensive touchdowns through six games. The 2004 Dolphins had four different turnovers returned for touchdowns just in their first six games of the season! So the 2004 Dolphins were like this year's Bills only even more extreme. They were No. 1 in defense through six games as well as dead last in offense.

Is there hope for Buffalo? If Josh Allen is injured and they have to play Nathan Peterman, it would seem not. But maybe veteran Derek Anderson can rescue the Bills from historically awful offensive efficiency. The 2004 Miami Dolphins, at least, didn't suffer with an offense this bad for the whole year. They beat the St. Louis Rams 31-14 in their very next game. Eventually, as you can see in the table, their offense regressed towards the mean a bit. Unfortunately, so did their defense. Most of the teams on this table were bad on offense all year long, even if things got a little better than they were in the first six weeks. The 2015 Broncos are really the exception.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Who Should Start for Buffalo in Place of Injured Allen? (1:39)
John Fox and Tim Hasselbeck agree that Derek Anderson should get the start at quarterback in place of the injured Josh Allen.

This is a golden opportunity to develop Peterman. If the Bills do this properly, in another season they could be looking at having the next Aikman and Walsh, Brady and Bledsoe, Rivers and Brees, Griese and Morral, Laurel and Hardy, Favre and Rogers, Kemp and Lamonica, Cagney and Lacy, Flacco and Taylor, Griffin and Cousins, or Laverne and Shirley. The Bills need to look forward, not start some career backup. Come next season the Bills with their 2 starting QB's will be the envy of the league and the really difficult decision will be which one to trade? I would lean towards trading Peterman, but not within the division, and definitely not to New England! The last thing we want to see is another Patriots dynasty when Brady retires. I can hardly wait for the offers for Peterman to start pouring in.

Reactions: whiplash

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
This is a golden opportunity to develop Peterman. If the Bills do this properly, in another season they could be looking at having the next Aikman and Walsh, Brady and Bledsoe, Rivers and Brees, Griese and Morral, Laurel and Hardy, Favre and Rogers, Kemp and Lamonica, Cagney and Lacy, Flacco and Taylor, Griffin and Cousins, or Laverne and Shirley. The Bills need to look forward, not start some career backup. Come next season the Bills with their 2 starting QB's will be the envy of the league and the really difficult decision will be which one to trade? I would lean towards trading Peterman, but not within the division, and definitely not to New England! The last thing we want to see is another Patriots dynasty when Brady retires. I can hardly wait for the offers for Peterman to start pouring in.

I hope this is sarcasm. If not, he's straight trash! Now off to the dumpster!

Perfect opportunity for Mr. Peterman down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad