Buffalo Bills (3-7): Next game 11/25 v. Jaguars (3-6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Mahomes makes better throws on the run, under heavy pressure, than Allen does in a clean pocket. The problems everyone saw from Allen in college--horrendous accuracy, poor pocket presence, dropping his eyes when there's real or perceived pressure and looking to run rather than throw--are still very evident. Having a rocket for an arm doesn't matter when the passes are uncatchable.

Do the Bills need to get better WRs? Yes. Jones does look improved, which is good, but Benjamin is a bum. However, the OL actually held up pretty well most of the day yesterday. Allen couldn't do anything even when he had time.

The Mahomes/Allen comparison was always a bad one because of how wildly different their production was in college. Mahomes threw 77 touchdowns and nearly 1000 yards in 2 years as a starter. Allen threw 44 and 5000. With Mahomes all you ever needed was a coach that could replicate his college success with a creative NFL offense. With Allen you litterally needed to find a way to recreate the player he is; because college Allen was bad.

I'm in a similar boat... I will always watch the Bills and be a fan, and I'll never be the guy that says "**** them, I'm done"

But I am so emotionally detached from them, their moves and coach-speak over the past two years have completely drained my optimism

Picking Allen really just drenched me of hope for this team in the near future and faith in the administration. Of course I hope he succeeds, but I see it as so unlikely that the entire next few years (during which we will waste the prime of a pretty good defense) just feel like an exercise in futility.

At this point I'm really torn on what to do. Do we go all in on offensive talent and try to make the offense around Allen so good that he's passable (see: Bortles)? Or should we, if given the chance, throw another dart at a more proven college QB, and maybe get someone that doesn't need perfect conditions to succeed.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
4 observations from Bills-Texans and Week 6 in the NFL

hpfjsvod3atmuftmlnps.jpg

1 – The vets still have it
2 – Numbers to know
3 – Around the AFC East
4 – They said it

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
350 yards passing and a loss
OR
100 yards and a win

Yes offense is fun and ours is beyond putrid...but we have the beginnings of an elite defense right now.

It allows us to spend all the money and draft capital on offense.

This year is going to suck....but I'm ok with it if they get it right and fix the O in the off season.

Yes it sucks, and it's a wasted year but I was expecting it.

NOW....if they do **** and don't fix the offense in the off season...all bets are off.
We didn’t win

100 yards and a loss

Disaster

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
350 yards passing and a loss
OR
100 yards and a win

Yes offense is fun and ours is beyond putrid...but we have the beginnings of an elite defense right now.

It allows us to spend all the money and draft capital on offense.

This year is going to suck....but I'm ok with it if they get it right and fix the O in the off season.

Yes it sucks, and it's a wasted year but I was expecting it.

NOW....if they do **** and don't fix the offense in the off season...all bets are off.
Given where the team is right now, I'd take 350 passing yards and a loss.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Mahomes and Goff had the raw talent plus elite offensive coaching to help bring them along. Allen has nobody like Andy Reid or Sean McVay on this coaching staff.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
The Mahomes/Allen comparison was always a bad one because of how wildly different their production was in college. Mahomes threw 77 touchdowns and nearly 1000 yards in 2 years as a starter. Allen threw 44 and 5000. With Mahomes all you ever needed was a coach that could replicate his college success with a creative NFL offense. With Allen you litterally needed to find a way to recreate the player he is; because college Allen was bad.

Picking Allen really just drenched me of hope for this team in the near future and faith in the administration. Of course I hope he succeeds, but I see it as so unlikely that the entire next few years (during which we will waste the prime of a pretty good defense) just feel like an exercise in futility.

At this point I'm really torn on what to do. Do we go all in on offensive talent and try to make the offense around Allen so good that he's passable (see: Bortles)? Or should we, if given the chance, throw another dart at a more proven college QB, and maybe get someone that doesn't need perfect conditions to succeed.

I think they definitely need to invest in offensive talent, as for QB :dunno:

If Allen becomes Bortles I'll be happy, that will mean he's exceeded my expectations. I don't think they go QB next year, but that's ok to me. With Herbert and Haskins being reported to return to school, the only one that intrigues me is Grier (even though his last game was terrifying). But I'd rather target a top WR or OL with our 1st pick because we have zero talent there.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Allen was actually making some good throws yesterday. He seemed to be coming on in the third. It would've been interesting to see how he would've finished had he not been injured.

Reactions: CraniumCram

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think they definitely need to invest in offensive talent, as for QB :dunno:

If Allen becomes Bortles I'll be happy, that will mean he's exceeded my expectations. I don't think they go QB next year, but that's ok to me. With Herbert and Haskins being reported to return to school, the only one that intrigues me is Grier (even though his last game was terrifying). But I'd rather target a top WR or OL with our 1st pick because we have zero talent there.
Yeah. If we don't draft a franchise QB, we need to go O heavy. Receiver is a must and several olineman. I'd also love to add a burner at HB. If Bryce Love falls to the second I'd be all over him. The league is clearly trending toward Kamara/Ekeler/Cohen types that can play RB and receiver and are threats to score every time they touch the ball. We're sorely missing a player like that in our backfield.

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Mahomes and Goff had the raw talent plus elite offensive coaching to help bring them along. Allen has nobody like Andy Reid or Sean McVay on this coaching staff.
Agreed. But Mahomes and Goff (and every other QB that's been successful the last 20 years) were also highly productive in college. Even if he was in one of those amazing, QB friendly systems, is there anything that Josh Allen has ever shown to suggest he could (a) read defenses; and (b) thrown with precision accuracy well enough to flourish in those systems?

Reactions: Fezzy126

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I'm in a similar boat... I will always watch the Bills and be a fan, and I'll never be the guy that says "**** them, I'm done"

But I am so emotionally detached from them, their moves and coach-speak over the past two years have completely drained my optimism
This is pretty much how I've felt about the Bills for the last decade or so. I still follow them and watch them, but I don't really have any emotional investment in them, and I mainly derive my enjoyment from seeing how spectacularly they can f*** things up (the end to yesterday's game was a pretty textbook example). I think it was the Jason Peters trade that broke me.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
This is pretty much how I've felt about the Bills for the last decade or so. I still follow them and watch them, but I don't really have any emotional investment in them, and I mainly derive my enjoyment from seeing how spectacularly they can **** things up (the end to yesterday's game was a pretty textbook example). I think it was the Jason Peters trade that broke me.
At least we got Eric Wood, who had a distinguished career of his own, for the pick we got for Peters. But yeah, trading away a HOFer, who is still playing after that draft pick retired, is all sorts of ouch.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Does McDermott have the balls to throw Peterman out there. Colts are easily one of the worst passing D out there

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Quick Hits: Allen week to week with elbow injury

t6qojwh6f8ujpvdufmzh.jpg

It was an elbow injury that kept Josh Allen from finishing Sunday’s game against the Texans. On Monday, head coach Sean McDermott provided an update on Allen’s condition.

“Josh Allen will be week to week,” said McDermott. “At this point I’ll leave it up to the docs. It’s a week to week situation.”

When asked if Allen is a long shot to play on Sunday, Buffalo’s head coach said he’s leaving all options on the table including his rookie signal caller.

Anderson working to get up to speed
The other option in the event that Josh Allen can’t play Sunday at Indianapolis is newly acquired QB Derek Anderson. Despite being a 13-year veteran, there is a learning curve he still must travel having only been with the club for six days.

“I think the newness, whether it’s the offense to some extent, the players he’d be working with,” said McDermott. “It’s just the familiarity and the trust you build over the course of reps. So that’s the challenge.”

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Is it true that the Pegula's told McDermott he could pick out any smart phone he wanted for him and his staff and McDermott picked the Moto E5 Plus because it had the biggest battery?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Mike Rodak - ESPN
Bills' support of Nathan Peterman approaches absurd level

The Bills love Peterman's character, but it's well past time for them to move on. If Josh Allen can't play next week, Derek Anderson should.

i

HOUSTON -- LeSean McCoy shook his head, pursed his lips and took six seconds to find the words to answer a question Sunday about how much remaining confidence the Buffalo Bills' offense had in quarterback Nathan Peterman.

"I still have a lot of confidence in him," McCoy eventually said. "We just gotta play better for him, make plays [and] make it easier for him to build some confidence within himself."

McCoy did his best to support his teammate after Peterman threw two more interceptions to doom the Bills in a 20-13 loss Sunday to the Houston Texans, but the Bills' rationalization of continuing to stick by Peterman has reached an absurd point.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
At this point how could the coaching staff start Peterman and look the other players in their eyes and say he gives them the best opportunity to win? A loss to the Colts would kick-start a tank. Trade players for picks, let Allen recover and lets see what 2019 brings.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
The fact that we took Josh Allen, against all the evidence, continues to give me such a profound sadness. In other news, Josh Rosen threw for 240 yards and completed 68% of his passes yesterday.
...and lost. So who cares....

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Josh Allen: Doc, my elbow hurts, they say I'm gonna be out a couple weeks. Can you give me a second opinion?
Dr. James Andrews: I don't know why the Bills ever traded up to draft you over Josh Rosen. They took the wrong Josh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->