Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2020 part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Fitz is a significantly better QB than Tyrod.

Taylor had one mediocre season with the bills and from that point on became captain checkdown.

Taylor was so mediocre that he led the Bills to the playoffs for the first time in nearly 20 years. Despite being dropped mid season for one of the worst QBs of all time in Peterman - before being reinstated & steadying the ship once again.

Fitz has games where he looks like a superstar & others where he looks like he shouldn't be in the league.

To say Fitz is 'significantly better' than TT is plain wrong. If I were a bubble type team with a solid D I know who I'd choose between the two...

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Taylor was so mediocre that he led the Bills to the playoffs for the first time in nearly 20 years. Despite being dropped mid season for one of the worst QBs of all time in Peterman - before being reinstated & steadying the ship once again.

Fitz has games where he looks like a superstar & others where he looks like he shouldn't be in the league.

To say Fitz is 'significantly better' than TT is plain wrong. If I were a bubble type team with a solid D I know who I'd choose between the two...

The futility of the bills for 17 years has nothing to do with TTs abilities. They are completely unrelated.

One of the QBs has thrown for 34,000 yards and 220 passing TDs while the other has a whopping 9,000 passing yards and 56 TDs.

Fitz has also thrown for 3,900 yards. Tyrods career high is 3,000.

there is a reason Fitz has been a starter for 8 different teams while Tyrod has basically been the bills starter and then a warm body on every other team.

I get romanticizing TTs time in Buffalo because he broke the drought, but he was a below average QB that never flashed elite talent. At least Fitz would flash his Fitz magic some games before reverting to Fitz tragic.

Reactions: Husko

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The good news:
-We're 4-2 and a game up on the Dolphins with a win over them (the dolphins have had a much easier schedule, too)
- Allen has shown to take the next step, though the past two games are a bit worrisome
- The defense has struggled, but they faced the #2, #3,#6, and #10 ranked offenses all the while dealing with injuries. Going forward they only face three more top-10 offenses. Stats are for losers this early in the year, but it's clear to me we won't be facing quite that many strong offenses in a row.
- We got through the toughest 4 game stretch of the season 2-2. Rams, Raiders, Titans, and Chiefs is an incredibly tough stretch.

The bad new:
- The offense is free falling, and they didn't play great defenses the past two weeks.
- Allen is becoming reminiscent of last year.
-The running game is brutal, and I'm convinced Daboll has no idea how to utilize it.
- The defense has been god awful.
-If the trend continues (The offense continues to regress and the defense continues to suck), then we're not making any noise in the playoffs and may struggle to even get there. Luckily, our division is trash this year, so we should make it in.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
The good news:
-We're 4-2 and a game up on the Dolphins with a win over them (the dolphins have had a much easier schedule, too)
- Allen has shown to take the next step, though the past two games are a bit worrisome
- The defense has struggled, but they faced the #2, #3,#6, and #10 ranked offenses all the while dealing with injuries. Going forward they only face three more top-10 offenses. Stats are for losers this early in the year, but it's clear to me we won't be facing quite that many strong offenses in a row.
- We got through the toughest 4 game stretch of the season 2-2. Rams, Raiders, Titans, and Chiefs is an incredibly tough stretch.

The bad new:
- The offense is free falling, and they didn't play great defenses the past two weeks.
- Allen is becoming reminiscent of last year.
-The running game is brutal, and I'm convinced Daboll has no idea how to utilize it.
- The defense has been god awful.
-If the trend continues (The offense continues to regress and the defense continues to suck), then we're not making any noise in the playoffs and may struggle to even get there. Luckily, our division is trash this year, so we should make it in.

Daboll has done a great job maximizing Allen's talents and minimizing his deficiencies. Lots of easy reads, WR's schemed wide open, region reads where WR's cross, mesh concepts, etc.

Tennessee and Kansas City started focusing on Diggs and forced Allen to find the open guy with mixed up coverages and pressures. Allen hasn't been able to do that and even simulated pressure is causing him to rush things.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
The futility of the bills for 17 years has nothing to do with TTs abilities. They are completely unrelated.

One of the QBs has thrown for 34,000 yards and 220 passing TDs while the other has a whopping 9,000 passing yards and 56 TDs.

Fitz has also thrown for 3,900 yards. Tyrods career high is 3,000.

there is a reason Fitz has been a starter for 8 different teams while Tyrod has basically been the bills starter and then a warm body on every other team.

I get romanticizing TTs time in Buffalo because he broke the drought, but he was a below average QB that never flashed elite talent. At least Fitz would flash his Fitz magic some games before reverting to Fitz tragic.

It's easy to cherry pick stats. Fitz has been in the league for far longer & has a gung ho style. So of course he's going to have more passing yds/TDs.

Maybe compare rushing yds/TDs. Or interceptions.

Talk about making a blinkered argument...

The one time TT was given the keys to a franchise he made the playoffs. You call it irrelevant but no other QB in the time frame could get it done. Taylor did.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
It's easy to cherry pick stats. Fitz has been in the league for far longer & has a gung ho style. So of course he's going to have more passing yds/TDs.

The one time TT was given the keys to a franchise he made the playoffs. You call it irrelevant but no other QB in the time frame could get it done. Taylor did.

I think TT and Fitz were pretty close. TT had a better offensive team when he was here in 2015 but the year the team made the playoffs the offense had been stripped down by Beane and McDermott as the Bills lost their WR's 1, 2, and 3 from the year before McDermott took over and replaced with junk like Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamin. So TT did alright considering what was given to him.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think TT and Fitz were pretty close. TT had a better offensive team when he was here in 2015 but the year the team made the playoffs the offense had been stripped down by Beane and McDermott as the Bills lost their WR's 1, 2, and 3 from the year before McDermott took over and replaced with junk like Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamin. So TT did alright considering what was given to him.

You will have to forgive me because I only started getting into NFL properly since 2014/15ish (Pegula era).

But I literally don't remember a single game where Watkins/Woods/Goodwin were all healthy. So it's not like he ever had an arsenal of weapons to work with at the best of times.

Then as you say - by the time he took the team to the playoffs he had one of the worst offensive supporting casts in the entire league.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
You will have to forgive me because I only started getting into NFL properly since 2014/15ish (Pegula era).

But I literally don't remember a single game where Watkins/Woods/Goodwin were all healthy. So it's not like he ever had an arsenal of weapons to work with at the best of times.

Then as you say - by the time he took the team to the playoffs he had one of the worst offensive supporting casts in the entire league.

2015 Offense Sammy missed 3 games and Woods missed 2 games. They also had Percy Harvin but he only played 5 games. It was primarily a run the ball offense with deep shots down the field with Tyrod and the Bills had an actual rushing attack with actual NFL guards and Greg Roman had them putting up points.

Yep. It was a miracle they made it considering the junk Tyrod had to work with.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I can't even really compare Tyrod and Fitz. Obviously Fitz has had the much more impressive career, but aside from that they're completely different players. Tyrod is one of the most safe and cautious QBs I've ever seen; Fitz is the opposite.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
I can't even really compare Tyrod and Fitz. Obviously Fitz has had the much more impressive career, but aside from that they're completely different players. Tyrod is one of the most safe and cautious QBs I've ever seen; Fitz is the opposite.
To me, that in and of itself tells you who is a more effective QB. A QB that is risk averse will never win you a game.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
Weird in that the O-Line play hasn't been great and Spain reportedly came back in phenomenal shape after the shutdown.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Fitz and Tyrod are not only two complete different types of qb, but serve different roles as backups.

Would you rather have a risk averse game manager as a backup, or someone who could win you shootouts but also cost you games with their errors. Depends on what you want out of a backup. I don’t think either style is inherently better

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
To me, that in and of itself tells you who is a more effective QB. A QB that is risk averse will never win you a game.

Fitz might win you a few games But he'll lose you at least as many if not more.

Tyrod won't lose you any. If you have another strong aspect to your team (good D, good run game, etc) then let that do the work. You will be more successful for it.

My original point was that Miami has likely seen some of the success LAC has with Herbert & wants a piece.

You then attacked Tyrod for whatever reason... They aren't comparable players but they are comparable situations. So I believe its relevant to compare the two.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Fitz and Tyrod are not only two complete different types of qb, but serve different roles as backups.

Would you rather have a risk averse game manager as a backup, or someone who could win you shootouts but also cost you games with their errors. Depends on what you want out of a backup. I don’t think either style is inherently better

Neither started the season as a backup...

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Fitz might win you a few games But he'll lose you at least as many if not more.

Tyrod won't lose you any. If you have another strong aspect to your team (good D, good run game, etc) then let that do the work. You will be more successful for it.

My original point was that Miami has likely seen some of the success LAC has with Herbert & wants a piece.

You then attacked Tyrod for whatever reason... They aren't comparable players but they are comparable situations. So I believe its relevant to compare the two.
Considering how horrible Tyrod was in his one start, compared to how good Fitz has looked, I don't know if they're all that comparable.

That said, Tua is clearly their future. Not much to be gained by making a heroic run to 8-8 with Fitz.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Considering how horrible Tyrod was in his one start, compared to how good Fitz has looked, I don't know if they're all that comparable.

That said, Tua is clearly their future. Not much to be gained by making a heroic run to 8-8 with Fitz.

Come on man. Look at the sample sizes here vs. The bigger picture.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I kind of feel like he might have asked for his release:

And remember he pulled himself out of the Titans game:

Maybe it was legit foot soreness though. But i believe the titans game was the first game this season that he was scheduled to start in.

IMO it seems like something was going on between him and the Bills.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Spain was also healthy scratched from the KC game wasn't he?

So too were Murphy & H Phillips....

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Come on man. Look at the sample sizes here vs. The bigger picture.
:rolleyes:

You clearly have a soft spot for Tyrod, that's fine. But he couldn't move the ball at all week 1 against a pretty bad offense. As soon as Herbert took over the offense got much better. Then if you want to go back a little further, the last time he was a start in 2018 he couldn't move the ball at all, and the offense got significantly better when Baker took over.

Fitz, on the other hand, has lead the offense to score at least 23 points every week but week one, including a 31 and 43 point performance. Does he have warts? Yes. But the offense has done things.

I don't blame the Dolphins at all for making this move. Tua is the future. But I don't get why you can't concede Fitz has performed at a much higher level than Tyrod (and has thus been given many more chances).

Onry

Mar 6, 2006
The new Josh Allen appears to have been a mirage.
He's still a kid, and has openly admitted in the past to loving Buffalo in part because of the dimmer spotlight here as opposed to NYC, LA, etc. With more maturity and self-confidence, he will start breathing again in prime-time games

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

True, so lets look at per game stats.

Fitz: 19/31, 213 passing yards, 1.36 passing TDs, 1.04 INTs, 16 rushing yards, .13 rushing TDs.

Tyrod: 12/20, 138 passing yards, .76 passing TDs, .28 INts, 26 rushing yards, .23 rushing TDs

The more I dive into it, the more I am convinced the only way you can say Tyrod is better than Fitz is if you put a huge premium on not turning the ball over, which is not how I approach things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad