Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2020 Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Oh c'mon now. If we draft Mahomes instead of trading out, there's no guarantee at all that he is this good now. He went to literally the perfect spot -- QB guru as head coach, willing mentor veteran to learn from, oodles of talent around him.

If he comes here......he's probably "just another Josh Allen".

Wait a minute. Mahomes would not be good on Buffalo but we're going to make Josh Allen a star?!

I just don't get it.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
can't say I disagree. If you can't make Mahomes a star QB, then there's no hope for your franchise.

The Chiefs started planning for Patrick Mahomes’s extension before he was even a starter. This was in the days when Alex Smith was starting and Mahomes’s brilliance was seen only by other Chiefs players and coaches. When, as a rookie in practice, he stared at the sideline and flicked a no-look pass over Justin Houston’s head, or when he threw across his body perfectly before he even knew the offense, Chiefs coaches told me. It was obvious to anyone who saw those practices what was coming. And, well, everything was coming: an MVP, a Super Bowl win, and countless throws that would be impossible for almost any other quarterback. The Chiefs always knew they’d have to pay a lot of money for that, and they knew it would be worth it.

Patrick Mahomes Breaks All the NFL’s Rules—Again

They knew.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
A $60M cap hit in 2027? First 3 years fully guaranteed it appears. I wonder how much more of it is guaranteed?
Patrick Mahomes

It appears they could cut him any time after the 2024 season with no dead cap. Not sure how accurate that is.

If it is accurate, then it is a decent deal for both sides. I suspect that Mahomes maintains his level of play into 2024-2025, they could look to do some light restructuring to give him more guaranteed money while reducing the cap hit.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yes Mahones has the SB, he is a beast, a superstar but he would be probably 3/4 the QB he is at most if we drafted him. McDermott is a defensive coach and Daboll sucks. Andy Reid gets the most out of QBs.

At the end of the day as long as we win one super bowl I do not care we traded the pick that was Mahomes. My biggest complaint was not trading with Houston and getting an even better 2019 1st.

White+Edmunds are the principal assets in return. Of Course an elite QB trumps EVERYTHING but a bare minimum top 2 CB in the game and a 22 year old pro bowl MLB who has all-pro/Urlacher written all over him is an amazing return.

The trade is like the equivalent of fantasy rosters in madden 2004 and you trading Michael Vick (best/most dominant QB/player in game obv not in league but in madden 04 he was) for Brian Urlacher/Zach Thomas and Champ Bailey. Yes you cannot "win" the trade when you trade the pick that becomes an elite SB winning QB by his 3rd season but when you get a top 2 CB and on the verge of elite MLB that is pretty damn good.

White and Edmunds are 25 and 22. We can have the league's best DL+LBer+CB trio with those 2 and Oliver. All 3 are legit studs.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Yes Mahones has the SB, he is a beast, a superstar but he would be probably 3/4 the QB he is at most if we drafted him. McDermott is a defensive coach and Daboll sucks. Andy Reid gets the most out of QBs.

At the end of the day as long as we win one super bowl I do not care we traded the pick that was Mahomes. My biggest complaint was not trading with Houston and getting an even better 2019 1st.

White+Edmunds are the principal assets in return. Of Course an elite QB trumps EVERYTHING but a bare minimum top 2 CB in the game and a 22 year old pro bowl MLB who has all-pro/Urlacher written all over him is an amazing return.

The trade is like the equivalent of fantasy rosters in madden 2004 and you trading Michael Vick (best/most dominant QB/player in game obv not in league but in madden 04 he was) for Brian Urlacher/Zach Thomas and Champ Bailey. Yes you cannot "win" the trade when you trade the pick that becomes an elite SB winning QB by his 3rd season but when you get a top 2 CB and on the verge of elite MLB that is pretty damn good.

White and Edmunds are 25 and 22. We can have the league's best DL+LBer+CB trio with those 2 and Oliver. All 3 are legit studs.

Buffalo has had top defense before. What they haven't had is a top 5 offense since 1992. That's almost 30 years ago...

That was also around the same time that they last won a playoff game.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Buffalo has had top defense before. What they haven't had is a top 5 offense since 1992. That's almost 30 years ago...

That was also around the same time that they last won a playoff game.

93 Bills 7th ranked offense
94 Bills 11th ranked offense
95 Bills 13th ranked offense
98 Bills 7th ranked offense
02 Bills 11th ranked offense
04 Bills 7th ranked offense
15 Bills 12th ranked offense
16 Bills 10th ranked offense

Since 1993 the Bills have had a higher end scoring offense 8 times. Yes we have been pretty poor offensively since the millenium but we still had 4 top 12 scoring teams. Yes a high octane offense makes it a lot easier to be successful but you still need to be solid on both sides.

If we knew what Mahomes was going to be of course we would never have done the trade. But this is one of the very very rare times where a superstar was traded and both teams got stars/superstars out of the trade. I mean obviously it was picks for picks in essence but this trade reminds me of Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis. An elite superstar CB for an elite RB. This trade in essence is a superstar top 2 QB for a top 2 CB and a current top 10 mlb/future top 3-5 MLB.

As long as Allen wins us a SB this can be a true win win. Having Tre and Tremaine in place mean more flexibility to go after pieces for Josh a lot easier.

pretty much I am just saying there is no way a respected writer could write a piece bashing the Bills over the trade because of the elite talent we got. Not only that we made one of the best picks of the decade getting an elite top 2 CB with a late 1st.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Since 1993 the Bills have had a higher end scoring offense 8 times. Yes we have been pretty poor offensively since the millenium but we still had 4 top 12 scoring teams. Yes a high octane offense makes it a lot easier to be successful but you still need to be solid on both sides.

If we knew what Mahomes was going to be of course we would never have done the trade. But this is one of the very very rare times where a superstar was traded and both teams got stars/superstars out of the trade. I mean obviously it was picks for picks in essence but this trade reminds me of Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis. An elite superstar CB for an elite RB. This trade in essence is a superstar top 2 QB for a top 2 CB and a current top 10 mlb/future top 3-5 MLB.

As long as Allen wins us a SB this can be a true win win. Having Tre and Tremaine in place mean more flexibility to go after pieces for Josh a lot easier.

pretty much I am just saying there is no way a respected writer could write a piece bashing the Bills over the trade because of the elite talent we got. Not only that we made one of the best picks of the decade getting an elite top 2 CB with a late 1st.
Maybe the issue here is you consider 10th-13th finishes "higher end."

Reactions: TalkingProuder

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

Its not that impressive picking up Tre White when Buffalo already had Stephon Gilmore.
So in essence they passed on two franchise QBs to find a cheap replacement for a CB star they already had but didn't want to pay.

Reactions: brian_griffin

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Patrick Mahomes

It appears they could cut him any time after the 2024 season with no dead cap. Not sure how accurate that is.

If it is accurate, then it is a decent deal for both sides. I suspect that Mahomes maintains his level of play into 2024-2025, they could look to do some light restructuring to give him more guaranteed money while reducing the cap hit.

Not quite. Dead money scenarios only exist once money is guaranteed. So the chart is only showing you the dead cap for the money that was guaranteed on signing. However, if you look at the list below the chart, you see additional dates in there.

• 2023 salary & roster bonus + workout bonus fully guarantee on the 3rd league of 2021 ($100M of total dead cap)
  • 2024 salary & roster bonus + workout bonus fully guarantee on the 3rd league day of 2022 ($113.3M of total dead cap)
  • 2025 roster bonus + workout bonus fully guarantees on the 3rd league day of 2023 ($121.3M of total dead cap)
  • etc..
So on the 3rd day of 2021, if he's still there, $5.5M + $34.4M + $550k for 2023 now become guaranteed, meaning if he's released before the start of 2022, that money now factors into the equation. The numbers in parens after each line detail how those add up.

Essentially the fist few years, each season he is on the roster, a couple future seasons of salary + roster bonuses guarantee. Starting in 2026 that begins to slow down, and each year he guarantees that year plus something from the next.

KC really has 1 decent window to punch out of this, 2026. That would be the lowest dead cap hit of $80.85M. K.C. seems to be betting that the salary cap will continue to rise at it's current rate so they can safely absorb the dead money if they had to.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Not quite. Dead money scenarios only exist once money is guaranteed. So the chart is only showing you the dead cap for the money that was guaranteed on signing. However, if you look at the list below the chart, you see additional dates in there.

• 2023 salary & roster bonus + workout bonus fully guarantee on the 3rd league of 2021 ($100M of total dead cap)
  • 2024 salary & roster bonus + workout bonus fully guarantee on the 3rd league day of 2022 ($113.3M of total dead cap)
  • 2025 roster bonus + workout bonus fully guarantees on the 3rd league day of 2023 ($121.3M of total dead cap)
  • etc..
So on the 3rd day of 2021, if he's still there, $5.5M + $34.4M + $550k for 2023 now become guaranteed, meaning if he's released before the start of 2022, that money now factors into the equation. The numbers in parens after each line detail how those add up.

Essentially the fist few years, each season he is on the roster, a couple future seasons of salary + roster bonuses guarantee. Starting in 2026 that begins to slow down, and each year he guarantees that year plus something from the next.

KC really has 1 decent window to punch out of this, 2026. That would be the lowest dead cap hit of $80.85M. K.C. seems to be betting that the salary cap will continue to rise at it's current rate so they can safely absorb the dead money if they had to.

I think the calculation is that if it gets to a point where they are releasing Mahomes they are in a rebuild anyway. The dead cap won't matter that year or the next.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I think the calculation is that if it gets to a point where they are releasing Mahomes they are in a rebuild anyway. The dead cap won't matter that year or the next.

Tend to agree. They will likely just pick a 'tank year' and eat it , as many teams do. ( Without calling it that of course. )

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
From ESPNs top 10 Linebackers video they released today...

It was a minute long and they named 3 linebackers. #1 Bobby Wagner, #2 Lavonte David and #7 Tremaine Edmunds. They also said within a year or 2 Edmunds would be the league's #1 LB and that he is 250 pounds and moves like hes 200.

So what I said about Edmunds being an Urlacher type all pro future LB is right on the money. He is considered an elite LB already, and is projected to be the best in the NFL before his 24th birthday. Edmunds can truly become an all time franchise great, he already has 2 high end productive seasons on his resume and he is only going to be 22 all season...Edmunds-White-Oliver I wouldn't take a single other DL-LB-CB/S trio, not when you factor in age.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

It was a minute long and they named 3 linebackers. #1 Bobby Wagner, #2 Lavonte David and #7 Tremaine Edmunds. They also said within a year or 2 Edmunds would be the league's #1 LB and that he is 250 pounds and moves like hes 200.

So what I said about Edmunds being an Urlacher type all pro future LB is right on the money. He is considered an elite LB already, and is projected to be the best in the NFL before his 24th birthday. Edmunds can truly become an all time franchise great, he already has 2 high end productive seasons on his resume and he is only going to be 22 all season...Edmunds-White-Oliver I wouldn't take a single other DL-LB-CB/S trio, not when you factor in age.

I think you are wildly over rating Oliver at this point - but I'm with you on Edmunds.

I was pissed of at the Bills giving up so much to get Allen - didn't hate the pick per se more what they gave up to get him - but when they moved up again to get Edmunds my mood swung completely.

It was about 3am our time & we were having a bit of a draft party at my local bar whose owner is a huge nfl fan. I was a lot of beers deep - I went from head in hands to beating my chest like a silverback in one moment.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

I don't know. I hope it's true. But I haven't seen that level of play yet, not even close. He uses sheer athleticism to get by, and he's fine, but he's out of position way too often for me to compare him to a HOFer. Urlacher was one of the smartest defenders to ever play the game. Edmunds I worry about his football processing speed. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan, and think he's a fine player there, but I haven't seen gamebreaking ability yet.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I don't know. I hope it's true. But I haven't seen that level of play yet, not even close. He uses sheer athleticism to get by, and he's fine, but he's out of position way too often for me to compare him to a HOFer. Urlacher was one of the smartest defenders to ever play the game. Edmunds I worry about his football processing speed. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan, and think he's a fine player there, but I haven't seen gamebreaking ability yet.

Belichick abused him last game we played them.

Reactions: Husko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad