Buffalo Bills (3-7): Next game 11/25 v. Jaguars (3-6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Dominant Defense Not Enough as Bills Blow It Against Texans

HOUSTON (AP) — Johnathan Joseph’s 28-yard interception return for a touchdown with 1:23 remaining lifted the Houston Texans to a 20-13 victory over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.

The Texans trailed by three when Phillip Gaines was called pass interference on Will Fuller in the end zone with two minutes remaining, moving the Texans 41 yards to the 1-yard line.

But the Texans (3-3) lost seven yards on three plays, capped by an incomplete pass intended for Ryan Griffin that Matt Milano knocked down to force Houston to kick.

A 27-yard field goal by Ka’imi Fairbairn tied it with 1:34 remaining.

Two plays later Joseph stepped in front of a pass from backup Nathan Peterman that was intended for Kelvin Benjamin and dashed untouched into the end zone to put the Texans on top and help them avoid their third straight overtime game.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Mahomes is a stud, but he'd not nearly be as good in Buffalo with our lack of weapons.

Plus, no Tre White or Tremaine Edmunds....

Yes it stings ...but it isn't as cut and dry :)

Reactions: brian_griffin

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I’d take a QB that can complete passes over both of those

Josh “did we draft a te” Allen

No seriously you think he’s going to learn how to complete passes? His best asset is his arm and his deep balls are 10 yards off target

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011

350 yards passing and a loss
OR
100 yards and a win

Yes offense is fun and ours is beyond putrid...but we have the beginnings of an elite defense right now.

It allows us to spend all the money and draft capital on offense.

This year is going to suck....but I'm ok with it if they get it right and fix the O in the off season.

Yes it sucks, and it's a wasted year but I was expecting it.

NOW....if they do shit and don't fix the offense in the off season...all bets are off.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
What's Sean got to do, got to do with it
Accuracy's a meaningless statistic
What's Sean got to do, got to do with it
Who needs an arm when an arm can be broken

Reactions: Tsujimoto

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It kinda feels cruel to keep playing Peterman. It’s like sending a high school kid into the nhl. His psyche needs to switch careers.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
350 yards passing and a loss
OR
100 yards and a win

Yes offense is fun and ours is beyond putrid...but we have the beginnings of an elite defense right now.

It allows us to spend all the money and draft capital on offense.

This year is going to suck....but I'm ok with it if they get it right and fix the O in the off season.

Yes it sucks, and it's a wasted year but I was expecting it.

NOW....if they do **** and don't fix the offense in the off season...all bets are off.

How sustainable is a 100 yards and a win? Like 6 weeks? A year?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009

No seriously you think he’s going to learn how to complete passes? His best asset is his arm and his deep balls are 10 yards off target

it's possible. I'm not holding my breath but he was drafted as a project for a reason.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Sal's Sticks: Bills at Texans

BillsHouston.jpg

What a horrible loss and way to lose for the Bills. They had an excellent opportunity to get to .500 after such a disastrous start to the season. But not only did they fall short, they did it in heartbreaking and frustrating fashion. The defense played lights out once again. The offense, not so much (again). So let’s get to The Sticks…..

BEHIND THE STICKS
QB Nathan Peterman
WR/PR Ray-Ray McCloud III
Blocked punt/Overall special teams play
QB Josh Allen under pressure
Penalties

AHEAD OF THE STICKS

The Defense!!
Linebackers
CB Tre’Davious White on WR DeAndre Hopkins
Bills’ OL on Watt and Clowney

THE BIG PICTURE

I’m now in my fifth year as the Bills’ Radio Network sideline reporter. Throughout that time this was the toughest loss to digest that I’ve been around. To say the game was there for the taking would be a massive understatement. Because it was more than that. They were in great position to win it, and should have. To lose the way they did is heartbreaking for the fans and frustrating for the team.

We can talk a lot about how they put themselves in this position by having Nathan Peterman as their only backup plan if Allen got hurt (until Derek Anderson is ready to play). And that’s right. It never should have gotten to that point. But it did. So here they were. I don’t believe Allen would have made the same mistake Peterman did, as far as the decision to throw that ball where he did in that spot. And even if he did try his arm strength would’ve maybe allowed for it to get there much earlier, not allowing the cornerback to break on it so well.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I think Allen can be similar to Goff. Goff put up terrible numbers his rookie year when they had no talent on O. Next year, they get 6 new starters on offense and he blows up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 6 new starters on O next year.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003

So are some of the short passes

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I get being optimistic about Allen, but it’s pretty obvious he isn’t a good QB. He’s an arm talent, that’s it. Mahommes, that’s a guy who can read the game at an elite level and make plays.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Goat of the Week

Nathan Peterman, quarterback, Buffalo. Two interceptions in the final 90 seconds of a tie game in Houston, the first one giving the Texans a pick-six by Jonathan Joseph, and the second a desperado last gasp with 30 seconds left by Kareem Jackson. Texans 20, Bills 13, and Peterman’s first two NFL seasons continue to be an arduous exercise in personal torture.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Mahomes makes better throws on the run, under heavy pressure, than Allen does in a clean pocket. The problems everyone saw from Allen in college--horrendous accuracy, poor pocket presence, dropping his eyes when there's real or perceived pressure and looking to run rather than throw--are still very evident. Having a rocket for an arm doesn't matter when the passes are uncatchable.

Do the Bills need to get better WRs? Yes. Jones does look improved, which is good, but Benjamin is a bum. However, the OL actually held up pretty well most of the day yesterday. Allen couldn't do anything even when he had time.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
The fact that we took Josh Allen, against all the evidence, continues to give me such a profound sadness. In other news, Josh Rosen threw for 240 yards and completed 68% of his passes yesterday.

I'm in a similar boat... I will always watch the Bills and be a fan, and I'll never be the guy that says "f*** them, I'm done"

But I am so emotionally detached from them, their moves and coach-speak over the past two years have completely drained my optimism

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
My views:
1. Bills bidding up the price for McCoy, IMO. Just a smoke screen / posturing saying they won't trade him.

2. This "culture trumps strategy" thing is absolutely right, philosophically. Assuming values are either part of or synonymous with culture. Organizations change strategy depending on the context of the external environment and their internal skills. Strategy often derives from strengths, weakness, opportunities, and threats, which are things which change over time. Your values / culture should not change.

Again, from a philosophical standpoint, I agree with "culture trumps strategy". My agreement, however, should not be construed as an endorsement of the Bills culture, because, frankly, I don't know the details of that culture / value set.

3. Stay miles away from Kaepernick. That decision is 99% related to his uncontrollable media circus and lack of focus / inability to focus on football. 1% related to his football abilities (which personally, I feel he lacks).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad