OT: PWHL Thread - Draft at 1pm Monday 9/18

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
My friend asked me an interesting question: Could Shannan Szabados be listed as the Sabres emergency backup goaltender?
There's no gender discrimination written into the CBA that I'm aware of. She could rotate into practices even.

It's just a question of whether she wants to, and for the team whether that's the best thing as opposed to taking a college kid from the men's side.

The gap is there right now, talent-wise. I think there's good reasons it should shrink or even disappear over the years, depending on the position, as you grow the women's game, attract the best athletes, give them time and resources.

But yeah, I think the gap is probably smallest among goalies right now, and I think it would be a lot of fun to give her the chance to practice or fill in with the sabres on an emergency basis.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
There's no gender discrimination written into the CBA that I'm aware of. She could rotate into practices even.

It's just a question of whether she wants to, and for the team whether that's the best thing as opposed to taking a college kid from the men's side.

The gap is there right now, talent-wise. I think there's good reasons it should shrink or even disappear over the years, depending on the position, as you grow the women's game, attract the best athletes, give them time and resources.

But yeah, I think the gap is probably smallest among goalies right now, and I think it would be a lot of fun to give her the chance to practice or fill in with the sabres on an emergency basis.

Would be a hell of a story if she got to play. Like made for TV movie kinda thing.

Reactions: jc17

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
She’s back, on #716Day! Isobel Cup Champion, Emily Janiga, will return to the Beauts for the upcoming season! Welcome home, Emily!
DiPid6SWkAIVZOo.jpg:small

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

sabresfan3383

Dec 3, 2004
Tonawanda, NY

Would also depend on her schedule, as she stated that she chose Buffalo because she is commuting from her home in Ohio. But that would be cool to see her practice with the Sabres/be emergency goalie if she was in town at the time.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Hilary Knight practiced with the Ducks about three years ago and then you have Manon Rheaume being with the Lightning during Pre-season way back in the day.

But, that was so long ago that Manon is now a goalie mom:

Dylan St. Cyr Bio :: Notre Dame Men's Ice Hockey :: UND.COM :: The Official Site of ND Athletics

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, there's real cardiovascular benefits to higher testosterone, not to mention muscle building. There's real advantages in average height, weight, upper body muscle, and just carrying less fat. There are good reasons for there to be a gap in a lot of athletic areas, at the highest end and on average. Female Chris Pronger is probably not happening.

But when it comes to reaction times, coordination, flexibility, lower body strength? I think we're pretty much at par.

So take shortstuff Enroth or skinny Pat Kane, eg, and tell me their innate male physique makes their performance possible? Not so sure about that. Give a generation of girls the same number of collective hours and resources to train, I would imagine you'd see some parity creep in. I'm still youngish, I'd love it if we saw a handful of female NHL players in my lifetime.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah, there's real cardiovascular benefits to higher testosterone, not to mention muscle building. There's real advantages in average height, weight, upper body muscle, and just carrying less fat. There are good reasons for there to be a gap in a lot of athletic areas, at the highest end and on average. Female Chris Pronger is probably not happening.

But when it comes to reaction times, coordination, flexibility, lower body strength? I think we're pretty much at par.

So take shortstuff Enroth or skinny Pat Kane, eg, and tell me their innate male physique makes their performance possible? Not so sure about that. Give a generation of girls the same number of collective hours and resources to train, I would imagine you'd see some parity creep in. I'm still youngish, I'd love it if we saw a handful of female NHL players in my lifetime.

I think the toughest part is the big difference in the men's game and the women's game. As more women will have the chance to grow up in the girls/women's game from a younger and younger age, it will make crossover harder.

I read this interview with new Clarkson women's goalie Kassidy Sauve (I was trying to find out if she was related to Bob) this morning and it talks about how she had to revamp her game when switching over to playing against women in 2012:

Goalie to Goalie: An Interview with Ohio State’s Kassidy Sauvé

TH: Do you have a personal goalie coach that helped you create and grow your style?

KS: My personal goalie coach is Sandy Sampson. I have worked with him since I made the switch to women’s hockey in 2012. I really did struggle when I made the switch and was desperate to fix my game. We met with Sandy and he was quick to identify what needed to change in my game in order to excel in the women’s game.

In order to be successful, I really had to make a major change to my style of play. The women’s game is very different, a much more patient and some would say skillful game than the men’s game. Some of the things I was doing to be successful in men’s hockey made me unsuccessful in the women’s game. Sandy always insisted that I resort to my abilities to make the big save as a last resort but that I really had to calm my game down.

Some of the main adjustments that Sandy brought to my game that helped me achieve success quickly were being more technically sound, managing my rebounds to the quiet zones, being more patient on cross-ice activity, changing my glove angle and avoiding unnecessary rebounds. Being more poised in the net was more about maintaining a constant degree of focus. I owe a lot to Sandy and give him a lot of the credit for helping with my transition to the goalie I am today.

Reactions: haseoke39

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
The United States Women’s National Team was named the 2018 Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year last night at the fourth annual Sports Humanitarian Awards, presented by @ESPN.

Catch #USAHockey at the @ESPYS tonight at 8:00 pm ET on ABC!
Nominees ⬇️- Declan Farmer | Best Male Athlete with a Disability.
Jocelyne Lamoureux | Best Female Olympian.
United States Olympic Women's Hockey Team | Best Team, Best Game & Best Olympic Moment.
Good Luck to Declan Farmer - Jocelyne Lamoureux - United States Women's Hockey Team!

Update - Chloe Kim (Snowboarder) won Best Female Olympian. Houston Astros won Best Team.
Best Game - see next two posts here. Best Olympic Moment was Shaun White (Snowboarder) final run that won him an Olympic Gold Medal. Best Male Athlete with a Disability went to Mike Schultz (Snowboarder) who won a gold/silver at 2018 Paralympic Games.

The United States Olympic Women's Hockey Team arrives at the #ESPYS red carpet!
DiapyZuU8AA3eXg.jpg:small

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Buffalo Beauts/NWHL News - Monday, July 23.

Melissa Burgess @_MelissaBurgess -

(1) @BuffaloBeauts will play at @KeyBankCenter @ 2 pm on 12/29 vs. @WhitecapsHockey. It'll be a doubleheader with the @BuffaloSabres game that night. Every fan who buys a ticket to the #Sabres game will get a Beauts ticket. #NWHL

(2) With the @WhitecapsHockey in Buffalo on 12/29, expect another Beauts/Whitecaps matchup the following afternoon at HARBORCENTER. Minnesota will visit each #NWHL team once this season - playing two games that weekend. So the weekend of 12/28-12/30 will be their Buffalo visit this season.

(3) The full #NWHL schedule is expected later this week. I expect that 12/29 game at KeyBank Center may be the lone NWHL game to be played in an NHL rink this season, pending any major changes.

(4) @BuffaloBeauts season tickets will be $120. That includes a ticket to all eight Beauts home games, plus a voucher for one 300 Level II ticket to a select #Sabres game. Individual game tickets $20, all general admission. #NWHL

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Beauts lose player to rivial league - sigh!

Markham Thunder HC @ThunderCWHL -
BREAKING: Thunder sign free agent Jess Jones.
Welcome back to
#ThunderNation, @jones22__!
Jones Returns to Thunder as Free Agent - Markham Thunder

Nathaniel A. Oliver @NathanielAOlivr -
We’ll truly miss having @jones22__ in Buffalo with the @BuffaloBeauts but best wishes to her with the @ThunderCWHL. Here are my thoughts on Jones’ @TheCWHL signing in my latest for @TheHockeyWriter #THW #NWHL #CWHL

Jess Jones: So Long Beauts, Hello Thunder (Again) -
https://thehockeywriters.com/jess-jones-beauts-markham-thunder/

Dito7q3XUAARVFA.jpg:small

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Melissa Burgess @_MelissaBurgess -
With the Decker/Bellamy signings today (like Decker, Bellamy also signed with the Calgary Inferno of the CWHL), here's how the
#USWNT roster is heading into the 2018-2019 hockey season so far. #CWHL #NWHL

Di6uGPDXoAAiZlJ.jpg:small

LaxSabre - Thanks for the list Melissa! Looks like Minnesota and Boston have the inside track on signing most of the unsign players - just based on who they played for 2016/2017 and/or where they played college hockey. Would be cool if Buffalo can steal a couple of those (Duggan? Marvin? Knight? Coyne?) as well as signing former Beaut Emily Pfalzer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->