OT: PWHL Thread - Draft at 1pm Monday 9/18

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@BuffaloBeauts -
BEAUTS GOAL!! Kelley Steadman goes top shelf to score the first ever Beauts goal! Assists to Megan Duggan and Emily Pfalzer.

@amymoritz -
Kelley Steadman scores the first goal in @BuffaloBeauts history with a power play tally with 9:04 left in the third.
First ever Beauts assists go to Meghan Duggan and Emily Pfalzer. Boston Pride leads 4-1.

LaxSabre - Buffalo Beauts lose their first ever game to the Boston Pride 4-1. The Pride outshoot the Beauts 41-23.
Next Beauts game is Sunday, October 18 vs the Connecticut Whale. Face-Off is 3:35 pm ET at the HarborCenter.

Last edited:

moomoosoup

Oct 8, 2014
Game was a lot of fun today. Looking forward to catching a few more games throughout the season.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross - Congrats & #sticktaps to the National Women's Hockey League (@NWHL_) on opening day of inaugural season! #HistoryBegins

Hey, @Hilary_Knight, Your goal will be on @SportsCenter tonight. You and your @NWHL_ trailblazers are my Star of the Night #SC3stars.

Hey, @smelkeejay11, your twisted wrister geno will also be on @SportsCenter as part of my #SC3stars to @NWHL_. #thinmints #Pride #LionKing.

@Hilary_Knight - What a start! Buffalo fans put the pressure on for our next home game! Great crowd, great hockey! Thank you everyone for the love!!

@Hilary_Knight - @Buccigross - Thank you for @TheBostonPride love!! Did you see @kbells22 silky mitts on the 2nd goal?! #ThePack

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Quick Hits - Boston Pride 4 Buffalo Beauts 1 - Amy Moritz - BuffaloNews.com - Sunday, October 11.

Emily Pfalzer wouldn't expect anything else. The Nichols graduate and former standout at Boston College knew her hometown was a hockeytown.
As close to 1,800 fans packed HarborCenter for the inaugural Buffalo Beauts game in the National Women's Hockey League.
"Everyone was saying how great Buffalo is and I don't think any place would have a crowd like this," Pfalzer said.
"I wouldn't expect anything else. I'm really proud."

First Goal - Kelley Steadman notched the first goal in Buffalo Beauts history with a power play tally with 9:04 left in the game. Meghan Duggan/Emily Pfalzer picked up the assists.
Steadman played her college hockey at Mercyhurst and was part of the 2009 team that went to the national championship game.
"It was a pretty nice pass from Meghan Duggan out of the corner," Steadman said. "It was pretty much a wide open net.
Saw the goalie move over and knew that I couldn't miss. It was a great pass from Meghan and I was lucky to put it in.
The fans were amazing. We knew we wanted to get them a goal and give them something to cheer about."

So About Hilary Knight - The forward is considered the best player in women's hockey and she showed off her speed and skill early for Boston.
She scored the first goal at 12:08 of the first period and added a second tally at 15:36 of the second period.

Rest Of The Quick Hits - http://sportsink.buffalonews.com/2015/10/11/quick-hits-boston-pride-4-buffalo-beauts-1/

Recap - Boston Pride 4 Buffalo Beauts 1 - Sunday, October 11 - NWHL Website - http://nwhl.co/quick-recap-bos-buf-4-1/

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
i actually dig the name. It's feminine yet strong, and it's also significant to hockey. Beaut is actually a commonly used term to describe superb players in hockey circles. It's a part of the canadian lexicon, but it hasn't really been adopted here in the states.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
f2015-5050-20150810.jpg

ss2015-4567-20150225.jpg

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
If they can stick around and show some lasting power I would imagine Philly and D.C. would be natural expansion cities... really hope they make it.

I don't know about D.C. especially. The current four teams are strategically geolocated for bus travel, and the game times are mid-afternoon. That means they likely aren't spending money on hotels, which would be a factor for a longer drive. In addition, the concentration of female youth hockey players (which I guess they're using as a proxy for demand for women's hockey) isn't there in D.C.

Did you know, for instance, that 33 percent of the female youth hockey players in America are registered in just three states? New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts. We learned from researching other female pro sports leagues how travel costs can be a drain on budgets, so we wanted to keep the league regional. No planes — just busses for travel. We focused on the hotspots where demand for the sport is very high.

Maybe if the league proves out to be a revenue generator, expansion will be possible over longer distances (closer to full day travel than half day), but for now I don't see D.C. as a possibility.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I'm looking forward to streaming some games this year. They're doing promotion the right way, and they're getting some good spin on stuff. I hope this league becomes a big deal. After the game on Sunday, my older daughter, who is 8, told me that she wants to play for Cornell so that she can be drafted and play in the NWHL. My 5 year old told me that she wants to be good so that she can be a hockey coach. This league is already giving girls that kind of hope, which is something magical to see.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@usahockey - #USWNT member Emily Pfalzer finds success playing near her hometown in the @NWHL_

Pfalzer Finds Success Playing Professionally In Hometown - Dan Scifo - Special To USAHockey.com - Tuesday, October 13.

Her debut with the NWHL’s Buffalo Beauts comes after her WNT debut earlier this year It’s been a whirlwind year for Emily Pfalzer. The 22-year-old Getzville, New York native opened the year finishing out her senior season at Boston College and later made the United States Women’s National Team for the first time.

On Sunday, Pfalzer fulfilled another lifelong dream when she made her professional hockey debut as the Buffalo Beauts of the new National Women’s Hockey League opened the season against the Boston Pride. “As a little girl, I always dreamed of playing in the Olympics and playing in the NHL,” Pfalzer said. “There wasn’t a professional women’s league to strive for, and now it’s amazing to see little girls and even older ones just being able to have a dream and wanting to play in this new league.”

It’s a perfect situation for Pfalzer, who lives about 15 minutes from the rink and is able to live out her dream of playing professional hockey in her hometown. “It’s an amazing feeling just to be back home,” Pfalzer said. “Buffalo is my favorite place, and there’s no place like home. It’s amazing for our town, and it really couldn’t be more perfect for me.”

As the league emerged and caught her attention, she was intrigued that there were teams not only in New York, Boston and Connecticut but also her hometown of Buffalo. “When I saw there was a team in Buffalo, that was a big eye-opener for me,” Pfalzer said. “I think I was kind of in awe because of all places they can have a team, I wasn’t thinking Buffalo would be one of them. It’s an incredible feeling to be able to play here and my family and friends and everybody can come to the games. “It really worked out to being at home and somewhere with people I’m familiar with. Everything just fell into place.”

Rest Of The Article - http://www.usawomenshockey.com/news_article/show/563906?referrer_id=

Meghan Duggan ‏@mduggan10 - Join us @HARBORCTR Sun at 3:30 pm as we play in honor of all those effected by breast cancer. @NWHL_ @BuffaloBeauts

‏@NWHL_ - The @BuffaloBeauts will host our first Strides For The Cure this Sunday! Our Partner - http://www.ecmc.edu/about/lifeline/

@BuffaloBeauts - The Beauts will wear special pink jerseys on Sunday, that will be signed by the team and auctioned off online after the game for charity.

Last edited:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I have a voucher for 2 free tickets to tomorrow's game. If someone wants them and will use them, message me with your email address and I will send them to you to print.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
I have a voucher for 2 free tickets to tomorrow's game.
If someone wants them and will use them, message me with your email address and I will send them to you to print.

Nice deal as tickets are $15 each. Hopefully you find someone to use those vouchers.
A relative of mine would take advantage but unfortunately the game is being played during the Bills-Bengals game.
If the game was later - a 5:05 pm ET/5:35 pm ET face-off would be ideal - she would have gone from attending the Bills-Bengals game to attending the Beauts-Whale game.

Last edited:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Headed to the Riveters opener tonight. A girl I've played some beer league with, former college star, may be suiting up for the Rivs. I think she's a bubble player, but excited to see the historic opener. 20 years from now you tell your daughter kind of thing.

And I caught some action last weekend streaming. Seems to be a pretty open style, good skating, less physical defensively. So in a sense like how college football can be more exciting than the NFL. At least, here's hoping.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
‏Great ticket offer if your going to attend todays game vs the Boston Pride - face-off is 3:35 pm ET at the HarborCenter - and don't have tickets.

@BuffaloBeauts -
You can still purchase tickets for today's game at - http://nwhl.co/tickets-beauts/ - or at the doors of @HARBORCTR -
Buy One - Get One Free - so Half-Off - Code - "LETSGODAD".

I'm assuming you have to say "LetsGoDad" at the HarborCenter to get the deal.
If you want to buy tickets online - only $1 per ticket service charge online. So for two tickets it will be $17 total.
Due to the lateness you will have to either print out tickets or have them be available for pickup at the HarborCenters "Will-Call".
(I'm guessing those are the options as I would have to order a pair of tickets myself to see they give you - not going to do that.)
Well anyway great deal - hope someone takes advantage - would be cool if they do a similar deal for future games.

Go Beauts! - time to win your first!

Update - Beauts lose their third game of the season - all at home - this one 5-3 to the Boston Pride - their second loss to them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad