OT: PWHL Thread - Draft at 1pm Monday 9/18

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
NWHL @NWHL - BREAKING NEWS - The @BuffaloBeauts have signed 3-time Canadian Olympic Medalist G Shannon Szabados.
Dgt27eQX0AMd2oU.jpg:small

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
The newest NWHL franchise - Minnesota Whitecaps - announced that they are going to be playing their home games at TRIARink (where the Minnesota Wild practice and where this past years NWHL ASG took place.) and that their home opener will actually be a home opener weekend with a two game set vs the defending Isobel Champions - Metro Riveters - on Saturday, October 6 and Sunday, October 7.

Due to teams having to travel quite a distance to play the Whitecaps and vice versa, we will probably see alot of these two game sets involving the Whitecaps either at home or away. We will probably see two split game sets like the Whitecaps playing at Metro Riveters one night and then at the Whale the next night.

Looks like opening weekend will be Friday, October 5-Sunday, October 7. Would be awesome if the Beauts host their home opener that weekend either vs the Pride or the Whale. If its played on Friday, October 6 - it will be a three-in-three day of Buffalo hockey as the as the Sabres have their first two home games on Thursday, October 4 and Saturday, October 7.

Do the Beauts play a two game set that weekend - either two against the Pride? or two against the Whale? or perhaps its a split series with one game against the Pride and one against the Whale? Then the Pride and Whale can play on the non Beauts home game date at the HarborCenter. Then all five teams will be playing two games on the leagues opening weekend.

Last edited:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I'm floored. Is this real life - where I have not one, but several players with Olympic medals on my roster sheet?

You're going to want to get to HARBORCENTER. Trust me.

I've already scouted out the Sabres schedule for potential weekend trips to take my girls to their first game. Waiting on that Beauts schedule.

Reactions: Digable5

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I might actually have to check this out. I'm not expert at the women's game though I have a healthy respect for them as athletes. Though it seems like Buffalo is all in to win it's first professional championship next year.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
I might actually have to check this out. I'm not expert at the women's game though I have a healthy respect for them as athletes. Though it seems like Buffalo is all in to win it's first professional championship next year.

Should the Beauts win the Isobel Cup this coming season - it would be their second championship. They won it back in the 2016-2017 season - defeated the Boston Pride 3-2 in the championship game. Their other two seasons - 2015-2016 and 2017-2018 - they were runners-up both times. Lost to the Boston Pride 2 games to 0 games in the 2016 championship series and lost to the Metro Riveters 1-0 in the 2018 championship game.

2017 ISOBEL CUP CHAMPIONS!!! THE BUFFALO BEAUTS!!!
C7UkOTfWwAMEobc.jpg:small

Last edited:
Reactions: BackGroundMusic

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

I went to a game last year with my older daughter. It was a nasty, physical, barnburner of a game where the Beauts beat the league's only undefeated team by a goal. It was hands down the single best hockey game I watched last winter.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Why'd they say no?

The CWHL at the time didn't pay their players aside from bonuses, so presumably it was a cost/travel thing. I'm sure there's more info out there, but I've always been under the impression that the CWHL just had no interest in it. A team from each league did play against each other a few years ago. That story is an interesting read. Boston Pride vs. Les Canadiennes.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The CWHL at the time didn't pay their players aside from bonuses, so presumably it was a cost/travel thing. I'm sure there's more info out there, but I've always been under the impression that the CWHL just had no interest in it. A team from each league did play against each other a few years ago. That story is an interesting read. Boston Pride vs. Les Canadiennes.

Yeah, that was the Denna Laing game, I think. Should've just sent the Boston Blades, honestly. Makes no sense having the tiny base for women's hockey split between leagues in the same city.

CWHL has Calgary in there, I doubt it's a travel thing. And after the NWHL did pay cuts and the CWHL started paying money, they might be close now. I think the NWHL players are still earning more, but they're both shoestring operations.

Buffalo has no idea how good they have it with the HarborCenter being the home of the Beauts. Right next to the NHL arena downtown, one permanent home, good seating and presentation. Other ladies teams struggle just to get a permanent space, or to get a space people can access easily. I remember my first Riveters game, it was a challenge just to find the place.

All I'm saying is one league between the CWHL and the NWHL would start to look respectable. And just looking big can help -- gets you a higher profile for sponsorship, starts to draw a regional fanbase.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Yeah, that was the Denna Laing game, I think. Should've just sent the Boston Blades, honestly. Makes no sense having the tiny base for women's hockey split between leagues in the same city.

CWHL has Calgary in there, I doubt it's a travel thing. And after the NWHL did pay cuts and the CWHL started paying money, they might be close now. I think the NWHL players are still earning more, but they're both shoestring operations.

Buffalo has no idea how good they have it with the HarborCenter being the home of the Beauts. Right next to the NHL arena downtown, one permanent home, good seating and presentation. Other ladies teams struggle just to get a permanent space, or to get a space people can access easily. I remember my first Riveters game, it was a challenge just to find the place.

All I'm saying is one league between the CWHL and the NWHL would start to look respectable. And just looking big can help -- gets you a higher profile for sponsorship, starts to draw a regional fanbase.

I don't disagree with you on the benefits of merger, I just think that the CWHL would need to be the ones to reach out after the initial snub, and I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Buffalo has no idea how good they have it with the HarborCenter being the home of the Beauts. Right next to the NHL arena downtown, one permanent home, good seating and presentation.

As the guy on the front line of that presentation, I thank you. I want people who come to have fun and be involved in the game-especially as we try to keep growing women's hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad