OT: PWHL Thread - Draft at 1pm Monday 9/18

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
glad I wasted 10 seconds of my day to click on this, and another 10 seconds to write this comment

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
After she completes her college career, a drafted player can then sign with the team that selected her. Or, she can opt into free agency, and sign with any of the other three teams.

Then what's the point of the draft?

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
The Buffalo Beauts made defenseman Courtney Burke its first ever draft choice as the National Women’s Hockey League held its inaugural draft on Saturday.
Burke, a native of Albany, had 13 goals and 60 assists in 113 career games for Wisconsin.

The Beauts took their first local player, drafting forward Emily Janiga 16th overall.
The Nichols grad finished her collegiate career at Mercyhurst as one of the top scorers in the country.
She was the College Hockey America Player of the Year and won the league’s scoring title with 45 points, 27 goals and 11 power play goals in 35 games.

Other selections by the Beauts included forward Sarah Lefort (Boston University), goaltender Amanda Levellie (Minnesota) and forward Jenna Dingeldein (Mercyhurst).

The four-team league, the first to pay its players a salary, is scheduled to begin play in October.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Until someone (me?) makes an official Buffalo Beauts thread (maybe make it when the schedule/complete roster is announced) - this news can go here.

@NWHL - Olympian Brianne McLaughlin signs with the @BuffaloBeauts as their first player -
http://nwhl.co/two-time-olympic-silver-medalist-mclaughlin-signs-with-buffalo/

Buffalo, NY - Brianne McLaughlin has signed with the Buffalo Beauts of the NWHL as their first player, general manager Linda Mroz announced on Wednesday.
“Buffalo has a tradition of strong goalies between the pipes. Hasek and Miller put the Sabres on the radar in the NHL and now I think McLaughlin will continue such a tradition of great net-minders for the Beauts and the NWHL,” Mroz said.

Playing for USA Hockey, McLaughlin won two Olympic silver medals in 2010 and 2014.
Early in her career, she played for the US Women’s National Team in the Under-22 Series in 2008 and the Qwest Tour in 2009-10.
She competed in three IIHF Women’s World Championship tournaments, helping the US win over Canada in both 2011 and 2013.
Once again a member of the US Women’s National Team roster in 2013-2014, McLaughlin was a part of a three-goaltender rotation during the 2014 Four Nations Cup.

Last edited:

ZemgusWho

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
That team name is awful.

I mean we've come a long way from the supposed days of the "Rockford Peaches." Would it have been too much to expect that a women's team be named for something other than being "beautiful." I think its kind of an embarrassing name, especially for a city so steeped in hockey history and that wants to grow the game.

I really want to support them, but for the love of every young girl that aspires to be a professional hockey player, rename the damn team before they ever play a game. (end rant)

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I mean we've come a long way from the supposed days of the "Rockford Peaches." Would it have been too much to expect that a women's team be named for something other than being "beautiful." I think its kind of an embarrassing name, especially for a city so steeped in hockey history and that wants to grow the game.

I really want to support them, but for the love of every young girl that aspires to be a professional hockey player, rename the damn team before they ever play a game. (end rant)

Exactly. Buffalo Virginia Slims :joshjull

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Terrible name :facepalm:

Buffalo swords
Buffalo wings
Buffalo crushers
Buffalo waters
Buffalo bruisers
Buffalo blades

Just not Beauts

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
Terrible name :facepalm:

Buffalo swords
Buffalo wings
Buffalo crushers
Buffalo waters
Buffalo bruisers
Buffalo blades

Just not Beauts

I actually dig the name. It's feminine yet strong, and it's also significant to hockey. Beaut is actually a commonly used term to describe superb players in hockey circles. It's a part of the Canadian lexicon, but it hasn't really been adopted here in the States.

Orvald

Feb 24, 2015
Belgium
I actually dig the name. It's feminine yet strong, and it's also significant to hockey. Beaut is actually a commonly used term to describe superb players in hockey circles. It's a part of the Canadian lexicon, but it hasn't really been adopted here in the States.

Ah didn't know, the name is looking better then :p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->