OT: PWHL Thread - Draft at 1pm Monday 9/18

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

NWHL Provides Updates on the GMs for 2020-21

The NWHL’s new team in Toronto has hired Mandy Cronin, a co-founder of the Canadian Women’s Hockey League and former goaltender in the league, as GM. Cronin was general manager of the Buffalo Beauts last season, and is the founder and director of M-Power Hockey, which since 2006 has provided coaching, mentoring and consulting services for players in Toronto and neighboring communities. Cronin, who played four years for the University of Maine Black Bears between 1998-2002 and was a captain in her junior and senior seasons, lives in Toronto with her family.

Cronin is being succeeded as Buffalo GM by Nate Oliver, who last season served as the team’s community manager. Oliver is a native of Buffalo and has lived in Western New York his entire life. In addition to his role with the Beauts, he serves as an associate director at the University at Buffalo. Oliver and his family reside in the Village of Williamsville.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Got a bit of an NHL / WHA thing going on here. For the sake of these incredible athletes, get the business crap sorted and merge already. Have the players get paid AND have their travel expenses covered. Have a 12 team league with the best women on the planet doing this as their careers.

It's not a merging thing.

The PWHPA isn't a league. They are a player's association that basically has no faith that the NWHL will ever improve to their standards. They want the NHL to back a new league, like the NBA backing the WNBA.

But, the NHL's stance to date is that they will only get involved if there isn't another league.

It is basically a game of chicken at this point.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
It's not a merging thing.

The PWHPA isn't a league. They are a player's association that basically has no faith that the NWHL will ever improve to their standards. They want the NHL to back a new league, like the NBA backing the WNBA.

But, the NHL's stance to date is that they will only get involved if there isn't another league.

It is basically a game of chicken at this point.

Well yeah, I know it’s not quite the same, but merge the existing nwhl teams with teams from the pwhpa hub cities, have it be nhl-affiliated and funded, and call it a day. That’s what’s best for practically everyone involved.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Well yeah, I know it’s not quite the same, but merge the existing nwhl teams with teams from the pwhpa hub cities, have it be nhl-affiliated and funded, and call it a day. That’s what’s best for practically everyone involved.

I doubt the NWHL and the NHL are interested in that type of thing at this point.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I doubt the NWHL and the NHL are interested in that type of thing at this point.

No, I know they’re not, but it’s what’s best for all parties, IMO. This is a no-brainer. Huge positive PR for the NHL, growing the game and all that. NWHL continues to survive and hopefully thrive with more sponsorship options. More teams, more skill development, better product. The benefits just keep stacking.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I doubt PWHPA members want anything to do with the current NWHL, given this article my wife, Melissa, helped write:

Behind the Game: Former Players Detail Life in the NWHL

That’s where the NHL can come in as the White Knight of women’s hockey. The NWHL has created a backbone - one with scoliosis, maybe, but it’s something that the NHL can clean up. Both sides get PR bumps, and most of the issues in the article get resolved.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
No, I know they’re not, but it’s what’s best for all parties, IMO. This is a no-brainer. Huge positive PR for the NHL, growing the game and all that. NWHL continues to survive and hopefully thrive with more sponsorship options. More teams, more skill development, better product. The benefits just keep stacking.

With the NHL owners pulling out from backing NWHL teams prior to the 2019-20 season, I think that the NHL and NWHL disagree that that is the best path forward.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
With the NHL owners pulling out from backing NWHL teams prior to the 2019-20 season, I think that the NHL and NWHL disagree that that is the best path forward.

That goes back to a game of chicken. If neither party is legitimately interested in some sort of mutual arrangement, I’d be shocked.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
NWHL's 6th team gets name: Toronto Six - ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports

INTRODUCING…THE TORONTO SIX

1589908397-full.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->