OT: PWHL Thread - Draft at 1pm Monday 9/18

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The Beauts play in Northtown instead of HarborCenter now that they are no longer affiliated with PSE.
Huh, I didnt realize that. That's too bad, it was a nice set-up with the HC.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Beauts to play "bubble" hockey this winter in Lake Placid
The good news for the Buffalo Beauts is they will have a hockey season this winter. However, they will not be playing it in front of local fans. The National Women's Hockey League announced the Beauts and its other five professional clubs will play a condensed season in a "bubble" format in Lake Placid, New York.
The NWHL and New York State Olympic Regional Development Authority announced the plan for the 2021 season Wednesday morning. The Beauts, Boston Pride, Connecticut Whale, Metropolitan Riveters, Minnesota Whitecaps and expansion Toronto Six will play each other once in a brief regular season, followed by a playoff. The season will run January 23 through February 5, 2021.

Plans for broadcasting games within the bubble will be announced in the near future, the league stated Wednesday.

I hope they stream games.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I asked the league if I could spend a week (all the vacation time I can afford to take from work) in Lake Placid doing PA & music for the N-Dubble . . . they said 'no'.

This will be the first season in Beauts history that I will not work a game for them. I'm gutted, but I want everyone to be safe.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I asked the league if I could spend a week (all the vacation time I can afford to take from work) in Lake Placid doing PA & music for the N-Dubble . . . they said 'no'.

This will be the first season in Beauts history that I will not work a game for them. I'm gutted, but I want everyone to be safe.

Maybe this will give you some ideas:
TED DARLING, VOICE OF THE BUFFALO SABRES FOR 22 YEARS, DIES AT 61
Stranded in Lockport during the Blizzard of '77, he did the radio broadcast of a game in Montreal, calling it as he watched on TV in his family room.

"Our engineer mixed my telephone report with crowd reactions," he explained. "My son, Joey, monitored the TV for penalties and time left in the period and would feed me facts on cue cards. The only time I had trouble was on the long TV shots, where player numbers became a little difficult to read. It was the easiest road game I ever worked."

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Having a daughter who plays girls' hockey competitively, I completely appreciate why so many good players aren't in the NWHL and align with the PWHPA. I wish the NHL could get their act together and support the NWHL the way the NBA supported the WNBA.

My daughter is friends with Amanda Pelkey and is dying to see her play again.

Reactions: joshjull

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Having a daughter who plays girls' hockey competitively, I completely appreciate why so many good players aren't in the NWHL and align with the PWHPA. I wish the NHL could get their act together and support the NWHL the way the NBA supported the WNBA.

Even before the pandemic, the NHL had no interest in women's hockey outside of the Pegula's short ownership of the Beauts.

If the PHWPA is holding out for the NHL to jump in, I have a feeling that they will be waiting for a very long time.

And if they aren't willing to go the Premier Lacrosse League route and start up a legit league that is by the players and for the players, I don't see what their real game plan will be to improve pro women's hockey.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

They should hire a good lawyer and become a non-profit organization. The money would come rolling in and they'd make a good living promoting women's hockey and sports in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad