Confirmed Signing with Link: (BUF) Zemgus Girgensons sign extension (2 years, $1.6 million AAV)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I had higher hopes for this guy... Maybe next season he will have a good year

Playing behind o'reilly and eichel probably doesn't give him the opportunity to get a lot of points. I'm pretty sure he's good at defense no?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Good deal for Buffalo. He would crack every roster in the NHL and still has some upside.

I wish he had played in college or the CHL though. He has been grinding his gears as a pro for a couple of seasons now.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Playing behind o'reilly and eichel probably doesn't give him the opportunity to get a lot of points. I'm pretty sure he's good at defense no?

Yes, he's very good defensively. Has been stuck playing with scrubs for the past 2 years and he's not good enough to generate offense that way. Got some nice chemistry with Eichel going in 2015-16 but Bylsma was a ****** so they never played together again.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Girgs was rushed to the AHL, then rushed to the NHL

USHL -> AHL is a ridiculous jump.

I don't think he had enough time to develop his offensive game.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Under Nolan we saw some glimpses of what he could be, a good 2nd line C. Under Bylsma we only saw a 3rd/4th liner. Wonder why that is? Oh right, Bylsma...

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Yes, he's very good defensively. Has been stuck playing with scrubs for the past 2 years and he's not good enough to generate offense that way. Got some nice chemistry with Eichel going in 2015-16 but Bylsma was a ****** so they never played together again.

This.

Bylsma's ridiculous usage of Girgensons was one of the more maddening things he did. For whatever reason he refused to slide him out to wing where his skillset would complement our skill guys really well.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Tank-victim. He should have been allowed to develop his offense instead of playing on the worst team in the league.
Is still a useful player, Bylsma seemed to hate him despite showing promise when given opportunities.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
This is actually a really good deal. I mean, even if he puts up 35 pts on a third line checking role, that's a good deal.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Good deal for Buffalo. Hopefully Girgs can take a step forward with a good coach and better players around him.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
This is actually a really good deal. I mean, even if he puts up 35 pts on a third line checking role, that's a good deal.

35 pts was 78th in the NHL for center (that includes the ''centers'' for NHL.com) last year, so that would be a really great deal if he hit 35.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
At worst he's a 4C - at best he can slot anywhere in the top 9 (especially on the wings).

He's shown good chemistry with Eichel, so I would like to see him start on his wing hopefully.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I like the 2 years. I think in a new system he can get back to pushing thats 15-20 goal mark with good defensive play from the wings. He should be slotted in the top 9 with one of the big 3 C's

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He's good enough for the NHL and not overly paid for the extension. Seems fair and could favor Buffalo if he puts it all together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->