Confirmed with Link: [BUF/VGK] Jack Eichel & 3rd-2023(BUF) FOR Peyton Krebs, Alex Tuch, 1st-2022(VGK) & 2nd-2023(VGK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well at least If Hf Sabres doesn't take me to a dock and and apply cement shoes and toss me into lake Okeechobee ( i live in Palm Beach so you lot would have to come down here) i would gladly take 21 lashes

No need for cement shoes. Or even being put into Okeechobee. Plenty of places here that have enough gators that cement would not be needed.
upload_2022-1-13_19-36-50.jpeg

Last edited:

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
I’ve been in Georgia once. I’m not going to it a second time to get to Florida. I have a suspicious amount of melanin for that, so you’re safe. :laugh:
Oh so you do want to brave our 6 month humid hell hole where the the air is so dank and muggy you can practically drink it?
But rest assured in 20 years our helllscape will sink into the sea. We literally only get about 6-12 cold fronts. With most of those being from November to beginning of Feb. After that its,back to ball blistering heat. If it wasn't for no state tax I would've moved in a,heartbeat.

Reactions: Chainshot

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Oh so you do want to brave our 6 month humid hell hole where the the air is so dank and muggy you can practically drink it?
But rest assured in 20 years our helllscape will sink into the sea. We literally only get about 6-12 cold fronts. With most of those being from November to beginning of Feb. After that its,back to ball blistering heat. If it wasn't for no state tax I would've moved in a,heartbeat.

I get that where I live in Canada during the summer. That’s enough for a polar bear like me

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
And you said they were getting blown out more often now than earlier in the year. That is not the case.

I hear that. Wait until you are Dad's Cab service - time gets even tighter.

Goaltending remains the one thing they've consistently botched under Adams. A couple of the retreads have been decent enough that they're going to get people looking for them at the deadline - Pysyk and Hinostroza in particular. The long-term commitment was to not pay lip-service to developing their kids but to actually do it and sadly, that involves having a lot of NHL-level filler to take lumps while guys like Quinn and Peterka work through their initial issues instead of throwing them to the proverbial dogs.

We know what rushing players can do in terms of stunting guys who turn out (Risto, Girgensons) or straight up damaging players so they never reach the next level at all (Grigorenko, Nylander) or it delays their arrival (Mittelstadt, Thompson).

Also, to the point of mid-point in terms of cap spending... we've recently seen what it is like to have players using the Sabres as just a cash grab on their way to their next destination (Taylor Hall). Having guys on lower end deals who are on the fringes of being in the show is going to have some guys work out (Hino, Pysyk) and some who do not (Caggiula, Bjork) but it does at least mean that those who want to stay in the show are going to be far hungrier and put in more effort than the ones like Hall or Staal or Bogosian who just mail it in almost every night.

I mean, it's a bit more than 10M to work with though.

You don't sign Hinostroza (1M), Pysyk (900k), Caggiula (750k), Anderson (750k). That's 3.4M

You don't take on Butcher (2.82)

You send Eakin to the minors (+1M-ish in extra space)

So 7.22 + 10M = 17.22M in cap space to midpoint.

You also have 2x 2nds and 2x 3rds in the probably most unscoutable draft in modern NHL history, so those are all on the table, at least, IMHO.

The assets and cap space were there. And the expansion draft could have been an opportunity to improve the team as well that was floundered.

It was incredibly frustrating this summer to see the Sabres returning to the dollar bin for free agents when they had both cap space and draft capital to use to improve the team and they didn't. You could have easily assembled a .500 team, still had primary roles for the youth with entangling yourselves in regrettable contracts. Or at least you could have TRIED

The issue was that Adams refused to spend draft picks and an ownership mandate to spend as little as possible.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

You don't sign Hinostroza (1M), Pysyk (900k), Caggiula (750k), Anderson (750k). That's 3.4M

You also have 2x 2nds and 2x 3rds in the probably most unscoutable draft in modern NHL history, so those are all on the table, at least, IMHO.

The assets and cap space were there. And the expansion draft could have been an opportunity to improve the team as well that was floundered.

It was incredibly frustrating this summer to see the Sabres returning to the dollar bin for free agents when they had both cap space and draft capital to use to improve the team and they didn't. You could have easily assembled a .500 team, still had primary roles for the youth with entangling yourselves in regrettable contracts. Or at least you could have TRIED

The issue was that Adams refused to spend draft picks and an ownership mandate to spend as little as possible.

Hino has been a good find. I would have no problem if he’s back next year as a 3C.

Also I’m pretty sure Adams saw Butcher as a free two draft picks (NJ gave one to take him, acquiring team gives one for him). Now whether or not that happens remains to be seen, but it’s a thing in theory. I personally don’t care what he returns, because he was a free rental. It was 1 or 2 more assets than we had. I just hope they actually eat 50% salary of 3 players we think are traded to get a better return (either moving up a round or a prospect)

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Hino has been a good find. I would have no problem if he’s back next year as a 3C.

Also I’m pretty sure Adams saw Butcher as a free two draft picks (NJ gave one to take him, acquiring team gives one for him). Now whether or not that happens remains to be seen, but it’s a thing in theory. I personally don’t care what he returns, because he was a free rental. It was 1 or 2 more assets than we had. I just hope they actually eat 50% salary of 3 players we think are traded to get a better return (either moving up a round or a prospect)
Could have been paid a 2nd and a 7th to take Ghost bear instead of a 5th for butcher.

And ghost bear is wayyyyyy better than butcher

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY

You continue to utter this bullshit based off nothing. We get it, 80% of this board thinks the Pegulas are incompetent. But please direct me to the high priced free agents that were going to be willing to suit up for a team with a known medical issue with a top 10 player in the game, and two other names in Reinhart and Risto asking out. Word goes far around this league. Everyone knew the direction we were heading in after last season into the summer. They’re asking the U23s to take the reins giving them minutes when called up, and being led by actual leaders of men like Okposo, Tuch, Girgensons, Skinner as opposed to the previous vets like Kane and Bogo. These kids need to learn to be professionals, something that hasn’t been taught at the NHL or AHL level in quite some time.

Why would Adams trade draft picks now or before this season? The time for that is likely this offseason, with an influx of youth and ELCs replacing the current placeholders. It absolutely sucks that this year is what it is. Spending to the mid-upper cap made absolutely no sense this year. And I don’t get why that was your standard.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Could have been paid a 2nd and a 7th to take Ghost bear instead of a 5th for butcher.

Except that probably would have been part of the Risto trade. Because they acquired him not that long after. Or basically this is the breakdown (the off-season goes in to this) with both trades (Risto & Butcher)

2021-22: - Risto, + 2021 1st (Rosen), 2023 2nd (unknown), 2022 5th (unknown), Butcher (unknown return, if any), Hagg (unknown return, if any). We know the Sabres get at minimum 3 assets to work with, whether they work out or not. Plus the chance to add two or more assets. And this is just that trade tree without any other f***ery (eg. flipping any part of that return for different ones).

You suggest we have: - Risto, + Ghost, 2021 2nd, 7th [I’m assuming the Rosen pick isn’t moved here], Butcher, 2022 5th. Because it’s the Sabres I expect limited value for Butcher and Hagg or Ghost. But they have worse options with the second trade because Ghost won’t be moved until next year when his contract expires, and there’s no telling he returns a decent return. I’m also assuming the Butcher acquisition still happens, because it looks worse otherwise.

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
Hinostroza, Pysyk and Anderson (pre-injury) have all been excellent additions. Caggiula has been meh but for league min, you can't expect much more. The Butcher deal is ok. He's been terribad but we got paid to take him and there was (imo) a chance to flip him if he played well. He hasn't so we're likely stuck with him through the end of the year.

I do agree that the xpac draft seems like a wasted opportunity but we just don't know what was available, asking prices, etc so it's so hard to judge.

I've been very happy with what KA has done so far. The only moves I've really disliked were not getting a better goalie to start the year and the Reinhart trade. In hindsight though, seeing how good Levi has been, I've come around on the Reinhart trade. Still wish we had been able to grab a goaltender with some more tread on the tire though.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Hinostroza, Pysyk and Anderson (pre-injury) have all been excellent additions. Caggiula has been meh but for league min, you can't expect much more. The Butcher deal is ok. He's been terribad but we got paid to take him and there was (imo) a chance to flip him if he played well. He hasn't so we're likely stuck with him through the end of the year.

I do agree that the xpac draft seems like a wasted opportunity but we just don't know what was available, asking prices, etc so it's so hard to judge.

I've been very happy with what KA has done so far. The only moves I've really disliked were not getting a better goalie to start the year and the Reinhart trade. In hindsight though, seeing how good Levi has been, I've come around on the Reinhart trade. Still wish we had been able to grab a goaltender with some more tread on the tire though.

I said when the trade was announced that it was a good deal and that people were underrating Levi. Now I don’t think anyone would take it back

Reactions: joshjull

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

This season is about development. Part of that was Bryson and/or Samuelson earning a spot out of camp and getting ice time. Butcher was acquired as a stop gap if they weren’t ready. Bryson was ready so Butcher started out as our #7 dman. Ghost would not be acquired for such a role.

PLUS Ghost has another year on his deal. Why would we acquire a LHD with two years left when we’ll be tripping over LHD options next season?

Some of you need to think beyond one season and attempt to see the bigger picture.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
That's what we have you for.

Spare me the snark. I’m hardly the only one who sees the bigger picture. Most posters on here do.

But we’re in this thread watching a few posters whine that we didn’t waste draft picks and magically sign free agents to ice …. wait for it ….. a.500 team. What an absolutely pointless hill to die on.

Or that we didn’t acquired players that might have blocked ice time from youngsters. Its a development year. The most important benchmarks to measure success for the seasons is how the young players are coming along. Blocking them with “better” placeholders defeats the point of the season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad