Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Sabres Extend Sam Reinhart (1 Year, $5.2M)

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Just thinking out loud here

Why would you resign your RFAs right now ? There's a possibility there's no NHL this up comming season but you have to pay your players anyway.

Wouldn't it make more sense to wait until the NHL has a plan and a season looks plausible to sign your RFAs ?
Does it matter ? Since the cap came into play it's been 50/50 revenue so if there is no season the players won't make money

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Maybe we're having a miscommunication here.

Businesses don't set their budgets for the upcoming year locked into the prior year's revenue. Businesses set their budgets for the upcoming year based on their projections of revenue in that new year. There are many reasons to believe 2021-22 will be a higher revenue year for the NHL then 2020-21 will.
The budget is restricted by the past years revenue so it makes 0 difference for a cap team. Even if the fans come back teams might lose revenue in other areas. Cap could be flat even until 2023 and beyond. The cap will be pretty much static until they beat the 18/19 seasons' revenue.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Sabrehack

Aug 30, 2018
I don't think so

Well at least it is that way now. The Return to Play agreement however had caps on escrow, which will ultimately lead to the cap staying flat longer. The 21-22 season will benefit from a new TV contract if I recall correctly, but the loses in the coming season could significantly exceed the escrow limits, so I wouldn't expect things to get rosy anytime soon. Does anyone know when the Seattle buy-in hits the HRR books, or does it?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Don't see how this is set in stone

If the division's did stay the same and they won't who is Buffalobetter than in the Metro?

Pittsburgh? maybe in 3 years but not now.

Washington? see Pittsburgh

Philadelphia? not with Carter Hart

Rangers? they have the best prospect pool AND a strong roster.

NYI? Not as long as Trotz is there

NJ? probably but even they have better goaltending.

Columbus? not with that defense.

as it stands Buffalo is better than NJ and that's probably it.

as for the Atlantic they aren't better than Toronto, Bostonm Tampa, Montreal or Florida adding Hall doesn't change that

Reactions: hobgoblin933

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
If the division's did stay the same and they won't who is Buffalobetter than in the Metro?

as for the Atlantic they aren't better than Toronto, Bostonm Tampa, Montreal or Florida adding Hall doesn't change that

Other than the fact that a lot can happen in a season, you are underrating the Sabres hard.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

Boston lost Krug and has 2 major injuries to start the season. The Leafs have gotten older and slower and look worse on paper. Sabres didn’t just add Hall. Staal as the 2C is arguably the most important addition. Cody Eakin as a 3C and Rieder as PK add specific needs and more speed. Dylan Cozens adds a ton of speed as well. Sabres are going to surprise a lot of teams. I actually have Montreal as the 2nd best team in the Atlantic.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca

Well, I guess no point in playing the season. It has already been decided. Cancel HFBoards, there is no Hockey Future because teams never get better or worse in the offseason. Thanks for coming everyone.

Reactions: SenzZen

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
They have drafted in the top 8 for nearly a decade are you sure about that?

I'm a fan of logic and the post I'm currently quoting has next to no relevancy at all to what is being discussed.

Maybe you are the one who is unsure...

To make it easy for you and others:

Added Hall - Not much else needs to be said here

Added Staal - Still a decent player, compared to our 2C last year though the hole filled is a significant upgrade

Added some depth for the PK too which was horrible last year

Back to your attempt at reasoning though...

Dahlin - Has only played two seasons (like I said your post really has no relavancy, not sure why you hit submit). Yet to play as a 20yo and is still seen as the most likely best D for a long period of time.

Olofsson - Only played for part of one season (like I said). Rookie put on the first line immediately, took some time to adjust, should be an improved player this season.

Skinner - Has only played two seasons (like I said). Pretty much guaranteed to produce significantly more than last season.

Furthermore there is a good chance Cozens and Thompson make the team for further depth this year.

Reactions: Digable5

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I'm a fan of logic and the post I'm currently quoting has next to no relevancy at all to what is being discussed.

Maybe you are the one who is unsure...

To make it easy for you and others:

Added Hall - Not much else needs to be said here

Added Staal - Still a decent player, compared to our 2C last year though the hole filled is a significant upgrade

Added some depth for the PK too which was horrible last year

Back to your attempt at reasoning though...

Dahlin - Has only played two seasons (like I said your post really has no relavancy, not sure why you hit submit). Yet to play as a 20yo and is still seen as the most likely best D for a long period of time.

Olofsson - Only played for part of one season (like I said). Rookie put on the first line immediately, took some time to adjust, should be an improved player this season.

Skinner - Has only played two seasons (like I said). Pretty much guaranteed to produce significantly more than last season.

Furthermore there is a good chance Cozens and Thompson make the team for further depth this year.
It's not just the additions though. Look who they are replacing:

Taylor Hall's 52 points (in an off year) for Conor Sheary's 19 points.
Eric Staal's (legit C) 47 points for Marcus Johansson's (playing C) 30 points.
Dylan Cozens only needing to replace Jimmy Vesey's 20 points.
Tobias Reider adding to a struggling PK.
And hopefully a healthy Linus Ullmark who was 17-14-3. Just having a decent goalie with last season's roster puts them in the Panthers and Leafs talk.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
It's not just the additions though. Look who they are replacing:

Taylor Hall's 52 points (in an off year) for Conor Sheary's 19 points.
Eric Staal's (legit C) 47 points for Marcus Johansson's (playing C) 30 points.
Dylan Cozens only needing to replace Jimmy Vesey's 20 points.
Tobias Reider adding to a struggling PK.
And hopefully a healthy Linus Ullmark who was 17-14-3. Just having a decent goalie with last season's roster puts them in the Panthers and Leafs talk.

Ya as I was saying with Staal he is a significant upgrade to our previous 2C, Hall obviously a huge upgrade for our top lines.

Cozens and hopefully Thompson (and maybe Mitts next year) are also gonna be good upgrades to what we were rolling out last year, though losing Larsson hurts a little.

Our PK was terrible last year and was hopefully somewhat addressed, a decent PK would go a long way.

Not having our good goalie miss games or our backup posting a sub .900 and having eye problems will help.

Hopefully not losing VO or Dahlin for ~15 games will help.

Speaking of the Swedes, VO should show better 5v5 play compared to early last season, and I'm actually more excited for an improving Dahlin than Hall tbh.

Skinner with better linemates should also greatly improve production.

We're going to see a much better Sabres team this year.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Ya as I was saying with Staal he is a significant upgrade to our previous 2C, Hall obviously a huge upgrade for our top lines.

Cozens and hopefully Thompson (and maybe Mitts next year) are also gonna be good upgrades to what we were rolling out last year, though losing Larsson hurts a little.

Our PK was terrible last year and was hopefully somewhat addressed, a decent PK would go a long way.

Not having our good goalie miss games or our backup posting a sub .900 and having eye problems will help.

Hopefully not losing VO or Dahlin for ~15 games will help.

Speaking of the Swedes, VO should show better 5v5 play compared to early last season, and I'm actually more excited for an improving Dahlin than Hall tbh.

Skinner with better linemates should also greatly improve production.

We're going to see a much better Sabres team this year.
Oh for sure. Forgot about Larsson (out) and Eakin (in). Last year's offensive production from those two are in Larry's favor and he is considered the better defensive player. However, for a career, Eakin is by far the superior offensive threat. What Eakin loses in defense should be well made up for with production.

I guess what I just wanted to emphasize about your post and my previous post in this thread, is that the baseline Sabres team from last season had a winning record with Ullmark in net despite icing guys like Sheary, Vesey and Johansson (out of position). With the improvements to the roster, expected development from the younger players and more Ullmark/less Hutton the team shouldn't be so easily overlooked as playoff caliber.

Reactions: GOALOFSSON

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You think they're better than Boston, Tampa Bay, or Toronto? Because they're not getting a wildcard spot with how stacked the metro is.
They aren't better than Montreal. I think this year we see a switch up outside of Tampa.

1. Tampa
  2. Toronto
  3. Montreal
  4. Boston
  5. Buffalo
  6. Florida
  7. Ottawa
  8. Detroit

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
They aren't better than Montreal. I think this year we see a switch up outside of Tampa.

1. Tampa
  2. Toronto
  3. Montreal
  4. Boston
  5. Buffalo
  6. Florida
  7. Ottawa
  8. Detroit
I try not to make definitive statements like "They aren't better than Montreal" because I don't pretend to know more than the next person. Maybe they aren't. Maybe you DO know more than the next person. I don't know your record with such statements.

The Canadiens finished only 3 points ahead of the Sabres when the season ended and played 2 more games than the Sabres. So, I'm struggling to see how Montreal has improved so much and the Sabres haven't for you to say there is no possibility the Sabres are better.

Price played in 58 of 71 games. The Sabres' best goalie only played in 34 games. 24 more games by Ullmark should make a greater impact for the Sabres than the Canadiens' addition of Allen as a backup. Hopefully Hutton will be better or is replaced before the season starts as well.

The Canadiens traded Max Domi for Josh Anderson. I like Anderson, but is he a vast upgrade over Domi? Domi who had 72 points 2 years ago when Anderson had his breakout with 47. Better than the Domi that had 44 last season to injured Anderson's projected 11 points over the same 71 game season? Even if the production is the same, you're putting a lot of emphasis on intangibles if you think this is the difference maker.

The Sabres traded Marcus Johansson for Eric Staal. Adding a true Center, more offensive production (+17 points) and much needed leadership. If you are giving points to intangibles, I think his experience and career accomplishments deserve some recognition.

The Canadiens signed Toffoli. The Sabres signed Hall. Is this where you think the Canadiens got so much better than the Sabres?

The Canadiens are adding Caufield? The Sabres are adding Cozens.

The Canadiens' young players are going to get better. The Sabres' young players are going to get better. (Maybe not for either, but who is to say at this point?)

I'd love to know what moves I am missing that have had such an impact that "They AREN'T BETTER than Montreal".

Reactions: MtlsabresFAN

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I try not to make definitive statements like "They aren't better than Montreal" because I don't pretend to know more than the next person. Maybe they aren't. Maybe you DO know more than the next person. I don't know your record with such statements.

The Canadiens finished only 3 points ahead of the Sabres when the season ended and played 2 more games than the Sabres. So, I'm struggling to see how Montreal has improved so much and the Sabres haven't for you to say there is no possibility the Sabres are better.

Price played in 58 of 71 games. The Sabres' best goalie only played in 34 games. 24 more games by Ullmark should make a greater impact for the Sabres than the Canadiens' addition of Allen as a backup. Hopefully Hutton will be better or is replaced before the season starts as well.

The Canadiens traded Max Domi for Josh Anderson. I like Anderson, but is he a vast upgrade over Domi? Domi who had 72 points 2 years ago when Anderson had his breakout with 47. Better than the Domi that had 44 last season to injured Anderson's projected 11 points over the same 71 game season? Even if the production is the same, you're putting a lot of emphasis on intangibles if you think this is the difference maker.

The Sabres traded Marcus Johansson for Eric Staal. Adding a true Center, more offensive production (+17 points) and much needed leadership. If you are giving points to intangibles, I think his experience and career accomplishments deserve some recognition.

The Canadiens signed Toffoli. The Sabres signed Hall. Is this where you think the Canadiens got so much better than the Sabres?

The Canadiens' young players are going to get better. The Sabres' young players are going to get better. (Maybe not for either, but who is to say at this point?)

I'd love to know what moves I am missing that have had such an impact that "They AREN'T BETTER than Montreal".

Boy you sure took that to heart. Maybe I should have said, "I don't think they are better than MTL". Honestly don't care enough about either team to dive into your post, as throught and likely we'll thought out as it is.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa

1. Tampa
  2. Toronto
  3. Montreal
  4. Boston
  5. Buffalo
  6. Florida
  7. Ottawa
  8. Detroit
So the Sabres upgrade their 1LW, 2C, have a "generational" type prospect coming into his age 20 season, a top 10 pick that will get easy minutes on 3rd line, but they arent better than the team they finished 1 win behind in 2 less GP? What did the Canadiens do to earn that distinction?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
So the Sabres upgrade their 1LW, 2C, have a "generational" type prospect coming into his age 20 season, a top 10 pick that will get easy minutes on 3rd line, but they arent better than the team they finished 1 win behind in 2 less GP? What did the Canadiens do to earn that distinction?

I feel the Habs depth will have them slightly ahead of the Sabers. It's an opinion, you are free to disagree.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Boy you sure took that to heart. Maybe I should have said, "I don't think they are better than MTL". Honestly don't care enough about either team to dive into your post, as throught and likely we'll thought out as it is.
I was probably more defensive than I should have been. People on HF Boards saying opinions as facts is a pet peeve of mine. My apologies for over reacting.

Reactions: Bedards Dad

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Some on here don’t seem to realize the changes...

1. Added Hall
2. Added Staal
3. Added Eakin
4. Cozens likrly on team who was a top 10 pick

On Defrnse
5. Dahlin, 20 yr old season next year, likely better
6. Jokiharju, 21 yr old season getting better

Buffal likely making 1-2 trades post arbitration.

On the offense this changes the team to potentially have 3 scoring lines in a framework of

Hall-Eichel-Olofsson
Thompson-Staal-Cozens
Skinner-Eakin-Reinhart

They could use Mittkestadt or Girgensons for Eakin in 3rd line

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I'm no Habs fan but their goaltending is much MUCH stronger than Buffalo's in fact you could make the argument that Buffalo's goaltending is among the weakest in the east.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->