Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Sabres Extend Sam Reinhart (1 Year, $5.2M)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sabre’s are going to push into the playoffs this season. Rhino is an important piece to help with that goal.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
But then again Willy Nylander has only topped out at 61 points and got 6.9

Who knows with contracts nowadays lol

You do realize he had topped 61 twice and was what 22 years old. This while an overpayment, I figure it was by about 500-750. Obviously he was projecting that he pushes those numbers up as he matures. We Also bought a UFA year. He just had a 30 goal season and was projecting 70+ points this year. Still overpaid but it not outrageous.

Reactions: TS Quint

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I don't think these guys signing one year contract realize that they'll have the same problem next year. The effects of the pandemic aren't gonna magically disappear after a year.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
lmao no. Players of Reinhart's calibre don't get exposed.
Understood

but if he’s not under contract and has a
Wink wink. Agreement to stay would they still have to protect him

I literally have no idea as I believe he’s rfa not uga ?

or simply I have no idea!:laugh:

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Probably the other way around. Why would a player want to sign a long-term contract now, when spending is depressed and the cap is flat because of Covid?
Well, flat cap is an issue for teams with no cap space. The Sabres have the space... Spending is going to be depressed for the next two years...

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Understood

Reinhart is an RFA after this contract ends, so he'll be protected. UFAs aren't eligible to be exposed since they aren't signed to any team.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Ya, I'm surprised a team would list their own player's position wrong like that. It's pretty dumb.

Decent price for Reinhart. He should be happy. But I feel like 1 year is risky for the team.
No they are right. Hes a center playing on the wing to load up their offense.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And thankfully Leafs didn't sign him for 1 year.
Maybe you should have since Willy had the 27 point season in 54 games after signing....a 41 point pace. You would have been able to sign him cheaper than the 6.9 you did. But that season likes to get ignored.

Since Willy re-signed....he has paced for 58 points/82 games.....and lower than that if you include playoffs/playins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Since he will likely play with Hall and Eichel I think we can anticipate him making a lot more than this on his next deal.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I feel like on a long term deal he’d probably get ... $6.5 mil or so? $5.2 mil seems a touch high for a 1-year bridge. I believe this leaves him with just 1
more RFA year, so next offseason, if he simply holds out for arbitration, he’s guaranteed to get a 1 year deal walking him straight to UFA, right?

Not a terrible deal or anything, but I feel it’s more player friendly than team friendly. Reinhart will be in a terrific negotiation position next year, as Buffalo will badly want to avoid him going to arbitration.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Understood

I believe ever without a contract going into the following year, Seattle will still be able to select exposed players RFA rights. This wouldn't be a work around.

Reactions: pbgoalie

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Sam and Willie went in the same draft. According to Capfriendly:

Career earnings/Career points
Sam: $10.2 million/255
Willie: $23.5 million/221

Since Willie signed his new deal:
Sam: $7.3 million/115
Willie: $21 million/86

If each maintains career pace over 82 games next year:
Sam: $5.2 million/52
Willie: $6 million/59

I think a few people on this thread aren’t very good at math.

Last edited:
Reactions: MillerTime

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don't think these guys signing one year contract realize that they'll have the same problem next year. The effects of the pandemic aren't gonna magically disappear after a year.

The players are far more likely to have better options next year.

This is the most messed up season in NHL history since WW2. There’s no reason to believe 2021-22 will be worse then 2020-21.

Mtler in Toronto

Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
He hasn't played center in the NHL. The people behind Buffalo's twitter doesn't really watch the team since they are also employed as Sabretooth.

That's some Mickey Mouse sh+t right there.
This is the freaking NHL and not high school intramurals. If teams are gonna use Twitter to relay information they need to at least get the players position right.

I think I'll stick to AM radio for my sports news from now on.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
The players are far more likely to have better options next year.

This is the most messed up season in NHL history since WW2. There’s no reason to believe 2021-22 will be worse then 2020-21.

There is significant reason to believe it will be worse on the contract front for the players.

Last season they got 85 per cent of the games in and with it the corresponding revenue.
I can't see any possible way the NHL plays a 70 game season with mostly full buildings this year. They will be extremely fortunate to get half that.

The less money the owners make, the less money the players will make.

Reactions: 57special

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There is significant reason to believe it will be worse on the contract front for the players.

Last season they got 85 per cent of the games in and with it the corresponding revenue.
I can't see any possible way the NHL plays a 70 game season with mostly full buildings this year. They will be extremely fortunate to get half that.

The less money the owners make, the less money the players will make.

You’re agreeing with me.

2019-20 = last season — cut short by Covid
2020-21 = this season — schedule hampered by Covid and 19-20 season late finish
2021-22 = next season — likely to be better

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
You’re agreeing with me.

2019-20 = last season — cut short by Covid
2020-21 = this season — schedule hampered by Covid and 19-20 season late finish
2021-22 = next season — likely to be better

This season’s revenue determines next years budget

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
This season’s revenue determines next years budget

Maybe we're having a miscommunication here.

Businesses don't set their budgets for the upcoming year locked into the prior year's revenue. Businesses set their budgets for the upcoming year based on their projections of revenue in that new year. There are many reasons to believe 2021-22 will be a higher revenue year for the NHL then 2020-21 will.

Reactions: wunderpanda

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad