Dreger: BUF possibly keeping Taylor Hall off roster for precautionary reasons.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The economics aside, to me Taylor Hall is a lot like Marian Gabroik at the 2014 trade deadline. Having a bad season and a poor playoff record but the Kings rolled the dice and bet on his talent. He was put with Kopitar and it paid off greatly to give him a true scoring forward. Just don't give him a dumb contract afterward.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
The economics aside, to me Taylor Hall is a lot like Marian Gabroik at the 2014 trade deadline. Having a bad season and a poor playoff record but the Kings rolled the dice and bet on his talent. He was put with Kopitar and it paid off greatly to give him a true scoring forward. Just don't give him a dumb contract afterward.

That Gaborik contract was the end of Dean Lombardi.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Damn, I just saw that his shooting % is 2.3 this season...thats insane lol

There is stuff to like if you believe in advanced stats. Individual expected goals 9, vs his 2. Leads sabres in individual scoring chances and high danger chances. Corsi, fenwick, shots, everything over 50%, although with favorable zone starts.

Aside from the actual points on the stat sheet, his season looks pretty similar to many Hall seasons. Very similar to his time in Arizona last year.

Imagine he will be attractive to teams that are true believers in underlying stats. For people that believe in the Hall curse though, definitely stay away :)

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Dude's been trash from the limited games I've seen. I'd be happy with a 2nd round pick + a B level prospect, but his value around the league is hard to gauge. Hopefully name recognition carries some weight because if teams are valuing him based off this season, then a 2nd round pick is too high.

How about a 2022 3rd (becomes a second if Sharks extend him) and a B prospect? No retention needed.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
How about a 2022 3rd (becomes a second if Sharks extend him) and a B prospect? No retention needed.
After witnessing the Devils/Islanders trade, I don't think Hall is being traded as a stand alone piece. A 1st, maybe multiple high end draft picks may indeed be on the table if Buffalo decides to package Hall with Risto or Reinhart. It's hard to say what Adams is doing in Buffalo, but multiple reports coming out on the Islanders being in on Hall heavy before shifting for a multiple piece package.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
After witnessing the Devils/Islanders trade, I don't think Hall is being traded as a stand alone piece. A 1st, maybe multiple high end draft picks may indeed be on the table if Buffalo decides to package Hall with Risto or Reinhart. It's hard to say what Adams is doing in Buffalo, but multiple reports coming out on the Islanders being in on Hall heavy before shifting for a multiple piece package.

Why??? Isn't the team bad enough already?

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
With the NJ/NYI trade already taking place that reduces the number of teams potentially in on Hall, reducing the likelihood of a bidding war. I hope Adams doesn't make the mistake of holding out too long and missing out on the action or value.

Hall + Montour both at 50% for your 1st, 4th and cap dump

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Gabby... even as an Avs fan I loved that guy. If only he could have remained healthy.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Maybe hall to Boston now?

That’s my thought, but it’s entirely possible they just don’t see a fit/think it’s worth it? Just sayin, and in that case, who wants him? It’d be very Sabres of them to.. have to continue icing the fantastic hockey player, Taylor Hall, for the rest of the season. Just no deal done after sitting him out.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
With the NJ/NYI trade already taking place that reduces the number of teams potentially in on Hall, reducing the likelihood of a bidding war. I hope Adams doesn't make the mistake of holding out too long and missing out on the action or value.

Hall + Montour both at 50% for your 1st, 4th and cap dump
Could be. Seems to be playoff bound teams looking for multiple positions upgrades.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
183605377c742c49-let-the-games-begin-gif-gif-images-download.gif

Let the terrible trade proposals start now
Kerfoot for hall

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Perfectly cool with packaging Risto and Hall for a better return, if someone wants that.

Reinhart, no way, unless the return is an offer we can't refuse.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Hall and Risto for Adam Larsson and a 3rd.

Oilers won the trade ever since the beginning. Crazy how it worked out. Larsson still with the Oilers while Hall has been bounced around like an NHL journeymen.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Thought I'd throw this in there.
Buffalo is going to be bad for a year or two still.

James Neal (1.5 mill retained), Mikko Koskinen (500k retained), Samorukov, Marody, 2021 1st, 2022 3rd for Hall (1mill retained) and Ullmark

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Thought I'd throw this in there.
Buffalo is going to be bad for a year or two still.

James Neal (1.5 mill retained), Mikko Koskinen (500k retained), Samorukov, Marody, 2021 1st, 2022 3rd for Hall (1mill retained) and Ullmark

Buffalo doesn't have to be bad even next season. Over half the roster is UFA. Making this deal will guarantee buffalo is bad next year with those two cap dumps and losing Ullmark, though. I'm expecting that there are talks going on to try to extend Ullmark - if Linus is not going to entertain that, then maybe. But two cap dumps like that is a rough sell

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Buffalo doesn't have to be bad even next season. Over half the roster is UFA. Making this deal will guarantee buffalo is bad next year with those two cap dumps and losing Ullmark, though. I'm expecting that there are talks going on to try to extend Ullmark - if Linus is not going to entertain that, then maybe. But two cap dumps like that is a rough sell
My idea was assuming Ullmark doesn't want to come back, which I mean, is very likely.

Koskinen is only for next year and Neal is for 2 but with his retention he would be making just over 4.

Marody is looking to be NHL ready and same with Samorukov. On top of the first.

Hell you could use those prospects to turn things around quicker too. Now or course if Ullmark wants to stay, no way but who knows.

Caps flat next year so it might make sense for Buffalo to just sign some guys to one year deals and then when the cap goes up use all their cap space and assets to make a big splash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad