Confirmed Trade: [BUF/PIT] Conor Sheary and Matt Hunwick for a conditional 2019 4th

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I don't get why teams help the Pens with these trades. Buf probably could have gotten more for a 4th than Sheary and a cap dump (buyout).
Who says we're not trying to swing another even better trade? They needed an NHL winger and they basically got one for free. Great trade from a Buffalo point of view .

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Impossible not to like this for Buffalo. Sheary is instantly our best LW ( though I guess Rodrigues could give him a run for his money). Kid scored 18 goals in a down year. Before this trade, we didn't have a LW who could pull that off in a up year. Plus, Sheary should have no trouble bouncing back a bit offensively next to Eichel.
Now we need a RW badly...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Can't wait to see him and Jack on the ice especially in OT. Speed to burn.

I'm probably one of Sheary's bigger fans... and I don't think you want him on the ice in OT. While he has some skills and speed, I'm not sure he's smart enough to really play the game in that situation. Also with his size, I could see him getting run over by his guy going to the net and it costing BUF the game. That said, he did score 1 OT goal in 16/17 (1 of only 4/5 OT goals scored by PIT Fs that season), so I guess he was getting some minutes there. Unfortunately none of the sites I use will break down TOI in OT, so I'm not sure how much time he spent there. I'd imagine more in 16/17 (his good season) then last year when we had Guentzel and Kessel.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I'm probably one of Sheary's bigger fans... and I don't think you want him on the ice in OT. While he has some skills and speed, I'm not sure he's smart enough to really play the game in that situation. Also with his size, I could see him getting run over by his guy going to the net and it costing BUF the game. That said, he did score 1 OT goal in 16/17 (1 of only 4/5 OT goals scored by PIT Fs that season), so I guess he was getting some minutes there. Unfortunately none of the sites I use will break down TOI in OT, so I'm not sure how much time he spent there. I'd imagine more in 16/17 (his good season) then last year when we had Guentzel and Kessel.

The Sabres currently possess a grand total of 4 legit top 6 forwards prior to this trade (Eichel,RoR,Reinhart and Okposo and RoR is likely moved for all futures.). So it's not me or any other Sabre fan overrating him. It's clearly that we are so weak up front that as sad as it sounds, Sheary is immediately the LW1 as of now and a lock to be on one of the forward pairs for OT.

While he may be going from the best in the world to merely a budding franchise center I expect with the uptick in ice time Sheary will easily put up 20-20.

Reactions: Riptide

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
You do that, Johnny-Come-Lately. And then when you're done reading the rest of the thread, and you figure out what actually happened... come back here and we'll reminisce together.

Yeah, you edited your original post because you realized how absurd it was. Then you've gotten defensive and cranky any time someone called you out on it. Good times!

Reactions: MacOfNiagara

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sheary can be frustrating at times. Streaky player but he's always good for speed/pressuring the D/has decent skill.
Also can play both wings.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What the...Sheary can fetch more than a fourth.
You do understand it was a cost the Pens had to endure just to move the salary of Hunwick. The stipulation will probably make it a 3rd when all is said and done.

The savings allowed the Pens to retain Sheahan and likely bring in Johnson and sign Oleksiak as well.

Also, I hope Sheary does well there, kind of got a bad rap around these parts for some how being a "leech" but it takes talent to play with talent and as a depth winger the guy scored 18 on a down year. He's just not very good when the game gets rough, kind of disappears altogether.

That and he falls a lot.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Yeah, you edited your original post because you realized how absurd it was. Then you've gotten defensive and cranky any time someone called you out on it. Good times!

Are you guessin' or... ?

Here's what happened. Pens board has talked this summer (and in the past) about maybe being able to swing something with Buffalo. The target would be Risto to fill an actual need, as a potential bargain deal because he'd be a reclamation, and possibly do-able trade because of connection to Botterill. Sheary would have to be a main piece from our side going the other way, because salary, roster spots, and also because Sheary was a Botterill guy from back in the day. Risto was the only guy we have discussed as being of interest to us, given RD need.

Thread OP (who is no longer Thread OP) posted a Rumour of Sheary to Buffalo, with no details. I was the first person on this whole board to see OPs post, and I commented first as if to say "Could this be what we had discussed (something around Sheary & Risto)?" Then immediately after I posted it, it occurred to me how people who aren't bright, and wouldn't understand the context of what I was saying would misunderstand it, and I edited for clarification, and with additional thoughts. By the time my edit was posted, only ONE other person here had read what I originally wrote... that's how quick I was to allow for Main Board idiocy. He ninja'd me, so he gets a pass for not understanding what I meant. That's fine.

Then a slew of morons continued to lol and quote me DESPITE my edit being right there in plain sight, where I clearly stated that I just couldn't see how this would work, or would make sense right now for either team (given our RFA re-signings, and their dearth of RD), and that it might just be a move for picks.

THEN, the thread got merged with another, later thread that had also posted the rumour... and then THAT OP was first to confirm the trade. So at that point, it didn't look like I was first to post, my thread's OP was no longer the thread OP, the title changed from Rumour (with no info) to a Confirmed Trade, and idiots continued to misread and quote me, despite me actually having pretty much nailed the trade.

And now, you pull up and start guessing at what went down, like you were there and on the bottom of the dogpile with me and my million notifications reminding me of how poor reading comprehension is on here. You basically jumped to the same conclusions as the average guy on here. Nice job, Sherlock.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
We can say all of his production is due to Crosby, which is true, but you still need talent to finish in the NHL. Far too often last year we would watch Eichel dangle, throw a great pass to the far side, not to see (insert incompetent player here) miss a gaping net. I’ll be happy if sheary can be a 45-50 point winger.

What I’m impressed by is how many of his points were even strength. That is what buffalo needs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Thank goodness we have our own player to help inflate his numbers.

Depends which Sheary shows up more consistently. If it's the 2016-17 version, then him and Eichel could have a big year together. If it's the 2017-18 version, he likely drags Eichel down with him.

Reactions: dasaybz

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Depends which Sheary shows up more consistently. If it's the 2016-17 version, then him and Eichel could have a big year together. If it's the 2017-18 version, he likely drags Eichel down with him.
Not one of Girgensons, Foligno, Moulson, Pominville or Kane all at their worst could drag Eichel down with any real efficiency. Sheary is a good add for this team any way you slice it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not one of Girgensons, Foligno, Moulson, Pominville or Kane all at their worst could drag Eichel down with any real efficiency. Sheary is a good add for this team any way you slice it.

I'm not saying otherwise? It seems like most responses to my original breakdown of Sheary's game has been met with this belief I was mocking the addition. I wasn't. I was simply outlining what to expect from Sheary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad