Post-Game Talk: BUF beats Nux 6-3: This game never happened. Return to your daily lives. - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Also, the team didn't look tired to me: they looked like they thought they were a "real good" team that could walk all over the Sabres. Exhibit #1 was Derek Dorsett trying to use 1 on 1 moves against defenders at least three different times that I can remember.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
Also, the team didn't look tired to me: they looked like they thought they were a "real good" team that could walk all over the Sabres. Exhibit #1 was Derek Dorsett trying to use 1 on 1 moves against defenders at least three different times that I can remember.

yup. Took them lightly and paid for it.
I base this on too many drop passes at blue lines

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
yup. Took them lightly and paid for it.
I base this on too many drop passes at blue lines

Too many passes in general when we had time in their zone, way to over confident to the point they would just play keep away and not even put the puck on net and I'm not talking about the Sedins or Horvat line but lines two and three didn't play their roles and were over confident.

arsmaster*

Totally agreed. Didn't look tired, just looked like the 2012 version that believed they could flip a switch.

Those dangles from Dorsett were hilarious.

arsmaster*

If the team showed up for the 1st period in New Jersey and showed up with reasonable effort last night, we'd be talking about a 5-0 roadie and not a 3-2.

That's the frustration. We lost the two games against the crap teams and beat the good ones.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
By this logic that should have been Buffalo's first victory of the season. The reality is that worse teams beat better teams all the time in sports, and letdown games or trap games are such a well-established phenomenon that we have a term for it.

You can be sarcastic all u want doesnt change we should of beat this team theres no excuse and its in the final drive til the playoffs so have to wonder whats going on with the team. Im not stupid i know we beat 3 good teams before this but this team should be competeing every game and not take these nights off we will get roasted by the kings or ducks if we do that in the playoffs

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Kadri would be a nice acquisition and would instantly inject some life into our second line (possibly even allow Bonino to move to the wing?). He'd be a far better fit in offensvie situations than Higgins would be.

That said, I can't imagine the price on him would be too cheap. At his age, he might be part of the future in Toronto, as well.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
You can be sarcastic all u want doesnt change we should of beat this team theres no excuse and its in the final drive til the playoffs so have to wonder whats going on with the team. Im not stupid i know we beat 3 good teams before this but this team should be competeing every game and not take these nights off we will get roasted by the kings or ducks if we do that in the playoffs
I wasn't being sarcastic. I was saying you can't draw this automatic conclusion when bad teams do beat opponents quite regularly, and letdown games are well-known to happen. It's not as simple as If A>B and B>C then A is always > C.

Put another way, the Canucks would be underdogs against the top teams regardless of how this one game against Buffalo might have turned out. It doesn't make much of a statement on its own.

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
As a Sabres fan, I am dissapointed, we (the fans) did not want those points. Can we decline the win and give you the points?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Play the Lackup or the Backup next?

We need to play the Lackup and allow him to find his groove here... I'm ok with riding him till the back2back....
Fatigue is not the issue with him... its between the ears..
Only if he streaks bad should the backup go in...

But to Eddie's credit he does bounce back regularly from sub par outings...
the nice thing about being inconsistent is he hasn't been consistently bad either..

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I'm not sure where this "Lack is inconsistent" thing is coming from, especially when you compare him to a guy like Miller.

In the last 3 months Lack has started 15 games and played the bulk of another. In those 16 games, he's had a .900+ sv% in 12 of them and a sub .880 sv% (equivalent to 3 GA on 25 shots) only twice. Compare that to Miller over the same span who has managed a .900+ sv% only 18 times in 32 starts and has a sub .880 sv% 10 times (over 30% of his starts). That's inconsistent goaltending. Inconsistent is when you have a guy who is near the league lead in shutouts but below average in sv%.

If you want to say "Lack is mediocre" then there's an argument for that, but his consistency is certainly no worse than other goalies of his talent level.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm not sure where this "Lack is inconsistent" thing is coming from, especially when you compare him to a guy like Miller.

In the last 3 months Lack has started 15 games and played the bulk of another. In those 16 games, he's had a .900+ sv% in 12 of them and a sub .880 sv% (equivalent to 3 GA on 25 shots) only twice. Compare that to Miller over the same span who has managed a .900+ sv% only 18 times in 32 starts and has a sub .880 sv% 10 times (over 30% of his starts). That's inconsistent goaltending. Inconsistent is when you have a guy who is near the league lead in shutouts but below average in sv%.

If you want to say "Lack is mediocre" then there's an argument for that, but his consistency is certainly no worse than other goalies of his talent level.

I disagree.. the inconsistency with Lack isn't in the numbers... its in the timing of the goals he let's in... or timing of the softies. The in-game inconsistency in Lack was on display in last game even... flashing his glove.. made some great saves.. one of his highlights being on Hodgson.. but then...

Unlike with Miller... I'm simply not as comfortable or secure in watching our games in which Lack is playing.

Numbers aside, it's how i feel when watching them play.

I mean its great that he's capable of stealing us games like the Boston one... but he's too sphincter clench inducing with what he leaves in the crease after his initial saves.

I'm not calling him a goalie that can't win.. but he needs to pull off more critical saves to get us the win than he has done in his carer here..

People write off wins as a mean nothing stat for goalies... but there is something to the fact that one goalie has a certain win % and the other doesn't playing behind the same team.

Mediocre or inconsistent, I'm still optimistic Lack will keep us in there till Miller comes back... but i'm scared opendoor.. I'm scared. But need to have FAITH.

We need him to catch fire while our forwards are still brimming with some residual scoring confidence from the last 11 games...

Getting a #1 Dman back would also help..

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
People need to calm down about Markstrom, IMO-- he's in the wait and see if anything's changed category rather than the "he's taken another step" category for me, personally.

He was excellent at the AHL level even when he was a terrible NHL goaltender on the virge of being a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad