Eklund Rumor: BUF and TOR willing to go pretty far to attract Carlson

Leafsguard

Feb 1, 2018
There is money for both, if Tavares would sign for $10.5 and Carlson at $8... though from a team need perspective, signing Carlson is more important, In My Opinion.
But yuou are forgetting the contract extension to Willie and the contract extensions of Marner and Matthews next season if Tavares signs a $10.5 M deal and Carlson 8M the Leafs have $22+M with a $75M cap. Think more then likely the Leafs look at Tavares and look to trade for a right shot Dman.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
But yuou are forgetting the contract extension to Willie and the contract extensions of Marner and Matthews next season if Tavares signs a $10.5 M deal and Carlson 8M the Leafs have $22+M with a $75M cap. Think more then likely the Leafs look at Tavares and look to trade for a right shot Dman.

I'm not forgetting them at all. The Cap was $75M last year, and is reported to be around $80M this coming year, likely $82-83M the year after. It fits.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Assuming Washington has an 8 x $8M offer on the table, $64M over 7 years would be ~$9.15M. And that's just even money, not money necessary to pry him away from a) a place that he knows can win a Cup and b) a place that he's lived his entire professional life.

I'd say that it's 90-95% that he stays in Washington.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
As a Sabres fan, I'd feel a lot better paying a premium for Carlson than I did/do about signing Okposo in FA. If we managed to get rid of one or two bad contracts this offseason and signed Carlson to a big deal... I think I could live with that.

That being said, the ideal solution is to get a top 4 guy just a tier below Carlson and pay considerably less... somehow. And still move on from one or two of our bad contracts.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Carlson won a cup so that's one box checked. Will he go to the highest bidder? Possibly, but IMO he needs to be on a competitor with top-level talent to be at his most effective. Put him on a rebuilding team like Buffalo and he'll be exposed. One of the very best offensive d-men though.

Reactions: Kyndig

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
No thanks. This screams Ehrhoff 2.0 to me.

No defenseman played more PP minutes than Carlson. We already have Risto and Dahlin for that role and for all of Risto's warts the powerplay isn't one of them.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
You sign 1 of them and you trade to fill the other need

Of either JT makes the most sense.
We simply do not need another offensive d man. We need a shut down guy to compliment the offense we currently have.

Still leary of signing JT as having the money he is sure to command along with the money needed for the big 3 to be locked up might make it hard to fit everyone in and be a contending team.

I'd rather us wait on Lilly then sign someone like JC to a huge deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad