Eklund Rumor: BUF and TOR willing to go pretty far to attract Carlson

sqw3r

Dec 22, 2015
Saint P
I dont think anyone would want Orpik. Maybe us? Tough checking D but he is older and style of play maybe catching up with him

NHL GMs have a history of overrating players who contributed to a Cup, players who play a gritty game and players with a great leadership/lockerroom presence. Orpik checks all of this. Teams with a cap space and young D who need mentorship would gladly take on something like Orpik + 4th round pick for a 7th, just for his off the ice presence with his one year left on the contract. The only thing i'm afraid is GMBM being afraid to cut ties with a player when it's needed, especially if it would cost (even if a little bit).

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Below is a list of reasonably big named American UFAs who left the States to sign with a Canadian team(in the last decade anyway)

-Ryan Miller

Don't see it Toronto, you'll likely have to look for that top pairing D elsewhere. Don't see a fit in Buffalo either what with them being last and all. Jersey or back in DC I see as Carlson's best options. For a lot a lot of money.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Whoever wins this battle is going to lose hard in the end. 10mil for a D coming off a career year in his final season, AND also getting the cup boost. So much regret incoming

No. The team that signs him will have a great 6 years at 8 million with love and mutual respect.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It seems likely the Caps are going to $8M x 8, and it's difficult to see another team going to $64M over seven years. How many teams provide a better opportunity to win than staying put and making more money? When you come off a Cup win and your team wants to pay you more than any other suitors... doesn't seem a stretch to predict he remains in Washington.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Dahlin and Mittelstadt will help a lot, and there is hope with Guhle, and possibly one or more of their forward prospects will start contributing.

Signing Carlson would cripple them for years to come. All they need is a decent top 4 guy...easier said than done.

TML don't really need him, either, or at least, not at the price he is going to ask. They have scoring from the back end, and should be looking for defensive competence if they acquire a Dman. Sort of the same thing BUF is looking for. Though TOR should probably be looking for a higher level guy, as they are closer to being a significant factor in the postseason.

I agree on the finding a top 4 who doesn't cripple their cap situation. If they hadn't won the Dahlin pick, I worried that they would go to stupid lengths to sign Carlson. But with Dahlin in the fold, they just need a good defensive defenseman who doesn't break the bank.

Reactions: schpaff

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
This took me 5 sec. to find on the internet:

"The Canadian Press
July 02, 2006
The Boston Bruins signed defenceman Zdeno Chara to a $37.5-million US, five-year contract Saturday, locking up the league's marquee unrestricted free agent."

It seems to me that there are all sorts of lessons to be learned.
That’s one example. It’s from 2006 LOL

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Here's the link:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...-Carlson-Neal-Kessel-de-Haan-and-more/1/93305

I don't doubt that these two teams might consider Carlson if he becomes a UFA.

I don't know why WSH would let him go and not try a little to repeat a Cup Appearance.

Perhaps Carlson wants a retirement contract and a happy existence in Buffalo N.Y. (????)

Does TOR bid 7-8 million a year for 6 years?

Washinton can't afford to offer him 7.5 to 8 without moving contracts. they have 11 in space and have to re up
wilson 3-4mil, and grubaeur (a couple mil if they keep him) plus fill in another 4 or 5 spots

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
Below is a list of reasonably big named American UFAs who left the States to sign with a Canadian team(in the last decade anyway)

-Ryan Miller

Don't see it Toronto, you'll likely have to look for that top pairing D elsewhere. Don't see a fit in Buffalo either what with them being last and all. Jersey or back in DC I see as Carlson's best options. For a lot a lot of money.
As a leaf fan I pray we don’t sign him.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Washinton can't afford to offer him 7.5 to 8 without moving contracts. they have 11 in space and have to re up
wilson 3-4mil, and grubaeur (a couple mil if they keep him) plus fill in another 4 or 5 spots

Without knowing how much the cap is going up the caps have 11 mil. Assuming its going up 5 mil then they have 16 mil to use. And that's easy since they have beagle, carlson and kempny as ufa and grubauer, bowey, wilson and dsp has rfa

Carlson gets 8 mil, bowey wont get higer then a mil-ish, give wilson 4 mil, then you gotta decide what you wanna do with dsp. If he wants to stay cheap then sign him, if not then its not that big of a loss. Caps likely trade gruabuer to isles. It can work

member 290103

He'd be foolish to go to Buffalo. They are just a team that will never be good. Year after year of shit, even though they have all kinds of high profile UFA's and draft picks.

Toronto is a team that is about to shit the bed, you just feel the impending downturn coming - removing a top end GM, star players unhappy with coach, coach unhappy with star players.....I firmly believe Matthews will ask out by this time next year.

Carlsson should just stay in DC.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Buffalo makes more sense for Carlson but my money is on him staying in Washington. They let Alzner and Shattenkirk go. Cant see them letting Carlson go.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Anything over 6.5 is too much
lol, for the top offensive Dman this year? Even if we grant that Karlsson and Burns had off-years, he's still elite and will get elite cash.

Plus him not signing last summer or during the season shows that he was on a show-me contract year. Well, he showed the NHL that he can lead a cup-winning defense. Washington would be lucky if Carlson signed for 8 million AAV only

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Buffalo is YEARS away from competing and Toronto has a long way to go unless they magically fix the blue line. DC is far more desirable if all things are equal.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Buffalo is YEARS away from competing and Toronto has a long way to go unless they magically fix the blue line. DC is far more desirable if all things are equal.
To be fair, adding the best UFA D of the summer is one path to "magically" fixing the blue line.
Toronto may be desirable - and I'm not saying it is, but a player may see it so - if they feel they can be the answer to the team's problems.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
Here's the link:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...-Carlson-Neal-Kessel-de-Haan-and-more/1/93305

I don't doubt that these two teams might consider Carlson if he becomes a UFA.

I don't know why WSH would let him go and not try a little to repeat a Cup Appearance.

Perhaps Carlson wants a retirement contract and a happy existence in Buffalo N.Y. (????)

Does TOR bid 7-8 million a year for 6 years?

:laugh:

If Carlson wants a retirement contract he'll sign in Florida

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
To be fair, adding the best UFA D of the summer is one path to "magically" fixing the blue line.
Toronto may be desirable - and I'm not saying it is, but a player may see it so - if they feel they can be the answer to the team's problems.

Fix maybe too strong. Greatly improve might be better. Toronto would still need to find/hope their young guys take a fairly big step this year.

As for what these teams can do to attract him. Carlson will still be part of a dynamic pp. Should continue to be a team trending up.

Buffalo - get to play with a great young talent in Dahlin. Help accelerate the rebuild and maybe make the playoffs if this year if they get a good goalie.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY

Years away? Possibly.

But adding Dahlin AND Carlson to a very slow, offensively inept blue line sure goes a long way to changing that. No reason they couldn't compete for a WC with that

Reactions: uncleben

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Years away? Possibly.

But adding Dahlin AND Carlson to a very slow, offensively inept blue line sure goes a long way to changing that. No reason they couldn't compete for a WC with that
They just need another 10 good players and they will be set. This team was the worst in the league this season. Carlson and a player to never step foot on a sheet of NHL ice are somehow going to result in this team winning enough games so that they finish 35 points ahead of their team last year????

Buffalo needs help in every area. This would be awesome for their blue line, but unfortunately Carlson doesn’t play goalie or forward, too.

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
No disrespect to Carlson but this is something that I hope the Sabres stay away from. The last thing we need right now is to be trapped with another disappointing long term contract that we'll end up buying out. Figured we would have learned our lesson from Ehrhoff, Leino, Okposo, etc

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
They just need another 10 good players and they will be set. This team was the worst in the league this season. Carlson and a player to never step foot on a sheet of NHL ice are somehow going to result in this team winning enough games so that they finish 35 points ahead of their team last year????

Buffalo needs help in every area. This would be awesome for their blue line, but unfortunately Carlson doesn’t play goalie or forward, too.
and Colorado was in the playoffs just last year and were the worst two years ago....Sabres don't exactly have a Montreal situation where they don't have a solid core to build around while Montreal has to rely on Price to carry the entire team. Sabres don't need help in every area as they have one of the best center depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->