Eklund Rumor: BUF and TOR willing to go pretty far to attract Carlson

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Here's the link:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...-Carlson-Neal-Kessel-de-Haan-and-more/1/93305

I don't doubt that these two teams might consider Carlson if he becomes a UFA.

I don't know why WSH would let him go and not try a little to repeat a Cup Appearance.

Perhaps Carlson wants a retirement contract and a happy existence in Buffalo N.Y. (????)

Does TOR bid 7-8 million a year for 6 years?
Washington has said they will do what it takes to get him signed to a contract.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Here's the link:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...-Carlson-Neal-Kessel-de-Haan-and-more/1/93305

I don't know why WSH would let him go and not try a little to repeat a Cup Appearance.

Perhaps Carlson wants a retirement contract and a happy existence in Buffalo N.Y. (????)

7M for 6 years is a no brainer yes for pretty much every team in the league. In reality he probably wants something closer to 8x8

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I have no doubts he may be the Sabres #1 target in FA

Adding him and Dahlin as a potential pairing would be electric

Well, they could be eventually. Dahlin will have some growing pains and Carlson is overrated IMO (more so based on his coming astronomical price tag), at least in terms of his defensive play at times.

Reactions: haveandare

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
My bet is that if he actually hits the FA market that Vegas gets him. They have the cap space and could add a significant player on defense just for dollars and keep the assets they'd have to give up for EK.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I imagine Carlson gets a contract the Leafs wouldn't be comfortable with.
It would also depend on what we do about Tavares. If we sign him, I don't see the money for Carlson. If we don't, that's another question.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Here's the link:

I'm just curious if anyone has actually learned the lessons of NHL free agency?

How often does a team sign a big time free agent and regret the deal within two years? It seems fairly often.

Anyone who wants 6 or 7 years, I'd immediately walk away from in free agency. Those last two/three years are killers,

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'm just curious if anyone has actually learned the lessons of NHL free agency?

How often does a team sign a big time free agent and regret the deal within two years? It seems fairly often.

Anyone who wants 6 or 7 years, I'd immediately walk away from in free agency. Those last two/three years are killers,

This took me 5 sec. to find on the internet:

"The Canadian Press
July 02, 2006
The Boston Bruins signed defenceman Zdeno Chara to a $37.5-million US, five-year contract Saturday, locking up the league's marquee unrestricted free agent."

It seems to me that there are all sorts of lessons to be learned.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I imagine Carlson gets a contract the Leafs wouldn't be comfortable with.
It would also depend on what we do about Tavares. If we sign him, I don't see the money for Carlson. If we don't, that's another question.

There is money for both, if Tavares would sign for $10.5 and Carlson at $8... though from a team need perspective, signing Carlson is more important, In My Opinion.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I doubt that Toronto will compete contract-wise with a lot of teams, considering their future deals.
I realize that technically they could, but I question if they should.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Jan 21, 2018
Reminds me of when Edmonton and Toronto were willing to go pretty far to attract clarkson

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I don't see any possibly way that Buffalo lands Carlson, as much as I'd love it.

Why would he go from the best team in the league to the worst?

Really, about the only way I could see it - Buffalo would have to offer an insane contract, that blew all the other offers out of the water.

I'd be shocked if he actually picked Buffalo (assuming there's even any truth to this rumor).

Allhailtheleafs

Feb 18, 2018
If Lou lam resigns taveres, signs Carlson,and he trades for a goalie....he's personally one of my favourite gms of all time, but that put him in the goat level if looking at his career.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I fully believe he signs with the Caps. That said, i hope the Leafs are taking a shot, it's time to move forward and improve. If the rumors about Matthews and Babs talking are true, then supposedly AM was asking about the direction the team was going....well....time to nut up or shut up.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Anything to improve that team makes sense for them, they are awful
Dahlin and Mittelstadt will help a lot, and there is hope with Guhle, and possibly one or more of their forward prospects will start contributing.

Signing Carlson would cripple them for years to come. All they need is a decent top 4 guy...easier said than done.

TML don't really need him, either, or at least, not at the price he is going to ask. They have scoring from the back end, and should be looking for defensive competence if they acquire a Dman. Sort of the same thing BUF is looking for. Though TOR should probably be looking for a higher level guy, as they are closer to being a significant factor in the postseason.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad