Proposal: Buf - ana

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Whenever I see a "Buf" trade proposal, I wonder if Byfuglien is involved...

... ironically, if the short-form "Buf" was lengthened to "Buffalo", I'd still think it may mean Byfuglien, also.

Last edited:

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Kane has had like, 1 good season?
Just seems like an awful person. Thanks but no thanks.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think Kane would be good fit on Ice, but his personal issues obviously kill his value.

I'd never pay fair market price for him, but something like despres for Kane I may do

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Too much from Buffalo. If we take one of their cap liabilities off their hands, the cap space is the main return for Anaheim and we should get Fowler for basically a song. Think Teravainen or Leddy trades.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Too much from Buffalo. If we take one of their cap liabilities off their hands, the cap space is the main return for Anaheim and we should get Fowler for basically a song. Think Teravainen or Leddy trades.

Terrible comparision. Teravainen isn't close to the asset that Fowler is, and Stoner isn't remotely close to the cap dump Bickel was. He's a useful player, who's just about $1-1.5M overpaid. Not a $4M per year non-NHLer. Kane himself is just as overpaid as Stoner is.

mytduxfan*

Interesting logic :facepalm:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Fowler to Buffalo makes all the sense in the world but just not sure Anaheim would want to take Evander Kane back.

mytduxfan*

Fowler to Buffalo makes all the sense in the world but just not sure Anaheim would want to take Evander Kane back.

No, no we wouldn't. BUF doesn't have an asset that would make for a fair return. We don't want Kane or Ennis and they don't want to give up Reinhart. So no deal to be had.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Terrible comparision. Teravainen isn't close to the asset that Fowler is, and Stoner isn't remotely close to the cap dump Bickel was. He's a useful player, who's just about $1-1.5M overpaid. Not a $4M per year non-NHLer. Kane himself is just as overpaid as Stoner is.

Don't want that Stoner type on my team, was thinking of Bieksa. And he has two more years on his contract, Bickell only has one, caphit's the same. So Fowler + Bieksa for middling pick + b prospect seems about right. NMC might be a problem.

Last edited:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Don't want that Stoner type on my team, was thinking of Bieksa. And he has two more years on his contract, Bickell only has one, caphit's the same. So Fowler + Bieksa for pick + b prospect seems about right. NMC might be a problem.

Ducks have no need to do such a deal. Bieksa isn't a non-NHL'er like Bickell, either, just overpaid by $2M (AAV) and an NMC. Bieksa would be bought out before Fowler being moved just to get rid of him. And Fowler is miles away from what Teravainen is, so that equasion still doesn't work out.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Don't want that Stoner type on my team, was thinking of Bieksa. And he has two more years on his contract, Bickell only has one, caphit's the same. So Fowler + Bieksa for middling pick + b prospect seems about right. NMC might be a problem.

We're not selling low on a guy like Fowler to get rid of another contract. Wishful thinking, there's a big difference between Fowler and Teravainen.

mytduxfan*

Just stop. :help:

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
We're not selling low on a guy like Fowler to get rid of another contract. Wishful thinking, there's a big difference between Fowler and Teravainen.

Fowler and Leddy are very comparable, though. Fowler doesn't need to get re-signed like Leddy did, true, but Lindholm does (+ a couple more players) and his contract's gonna be bigger than Leddy's.
Plus, you're a budget team, so spending dead money and cap space on a buyout might not be in your owner's interest.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Stoner averaged 15:21 TOI in 50 games played last year. He averaged 17:38 TOI the year before in Anaheim.

He's never played 70 games in a season.

Stoner is a vastly overpaid 6th/7th defenseman.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's obvious that Ducks fans want nothing to do with the 3 forwards that Sabres fans will offer up in a Fowler deal (Kane, Ennis, and Girgensons), so I don't know why Sabres fans even bother to ask.

Personally, I think Tim Murray has moved on from looking for a LHD after the Kulikov deal.

And after what he gave up to land Kulikov, I can't see him paying a lot more for a similar defenseman with one more year on his contract.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Fowler and Leddy are very comparable, though. Fowler doesn't need to get re-signed like Leddy did, true, but Lindholm does (+ a couple more players) and his contract's gonna be bigger than Leddy's.
Plus, you're a budget team, so spending dead money and cap space on a buyout might not be in your owner's interest.

Why is it you think attaching those contracts to Fowler and a buyout are our only two options? We have picks and prospects to work with to help dump a contract if needed, you don't use a good player with term for something like that. Fowler has term and Leddy didn't, big difference there.

It's obvious that Ducks fans want nothing to do with the 3 forwards that Sabres fans will offer up in a Fowler deal (Kane, Ennis, and Girgensons), so I don't know why Sabres fans even bother to ask.

Personally, I think Tim Murray has moved on from looking for a LHD after the Kulikov deal.

And after what he gave up to land Kulikov, I can't see him paying a lot more for a similar defenseman with one more year on his contract.

I personally really like Girgensons and think he would be an excellent fit for our top 9, but he isn't valuable enough to make a proper starting point for a Fowler trade. If we were looking at a Bobby Ryan type return (1st + young top 9 forward+ prospect), Girgensons would suffice as the B piece.

mytduxfan*

Bieksa isn't waiving to go to BUF or any of the teams that could afford to take him. If Bieksa refuses to waive his NTC next year, we'll have no option but to buy him out. We need that protection spot for Lindholm, Vatanen and Manson.

Stoner averaged 15:21 TOI in 50 games played last year. He averaged 17:38 TOI the year before in Anaheim.

He's never played 70 games in a season.

Stoner is a vastly overpaid 6th/7th defenseman.

Stoner's TOI dropped this passed season because of the emergence of Manson and the fact that Bieksa is too highly paid to not play and is RH. Personally, I'd play Stoner over Bieksa everyday.

Stoner is overpaid, but it depends what you mean by vastly. Go back to the 2014-15 season and at 3.25M for a guy doing on average 17.38 in TOI a night, I wouldn't say he's that overpaid. Maybe 0.5M for what he brings. Bring it forward to this year and he's probably closer to 1M over paid. Now that's quite substantial. Nevertheless, Stoner is still a useful player. He's a Grossman/Meszaros type player. Mostly here for his big body, ability to block shots and hitting. The good thing about Stoner is he knows his limitations. He's also a great PKer. Some people are quick to dump on him, but most Duck fans would gladly keep him and move Bieksa if that was an option.

Agree with all this. I think TM was done after the Kulikov trade and us Duck fans have already had the pleasure of hearing how he's so much better then Fowler anyway.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Is TM done---I don't think so.

Does he make a trade for Fowler or Brodin---hard to say.

I think TM wants to have 5 core Dmen on the team then in the expansion draft, he may get to keep all 5, but if one gets picked he still has a top 4.

He could go and sign Carle or Seidenberg to a short term deal as a fall back.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I personally really like Girgensons and think he would be an excellent fit for our top 9, but he isn't valuable enough to make a proper starting point for a Fowler trade. If we were looking at a Bobby Ryan type return (1st + young top 9 forward+ prospect), Girgensons would suffice as the B piece.

I think there are more than a few Sabres fans that might get to '17 1st and Girgensons for Fowler.

Especially if they can get Vesey signed.

mytduxfan*

I think there are more than a few Sabres fans that might get to '17 1st and Girgensons for Fowler.

Especially if they can get Vesey signed.

Under the assumption that BUF will do better this year then last year, I'd pass. Besides, if we're moving Fowler, I'd hope BM gets us a legit 1st line LH LW. Futures does nothing for us.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Agree with all this. I think TM was done after the Kulikov trade and us Duck fans have already had the pleasure of hearing how he's so much better then Fowler anyway.

You will usually get fans that say that the guy their team got is better than a similar guy that they were rumored to be in on.

Personally, I think they are both top 4 LHD that might make a good partner for Risto in the top pairing.

I would be excited about the Sabres LHD depth if Murray were able to get both of them this offseason.

Although, I'm not expecting it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Under the assumption that BUF will do better this year then last year, I'd pass. Besides, if we're moving Fowler, I'd hope BM gets us a legit 1st line LH LW. Futures does nothing for us.

I think the big question about what the Ducks can get for Fowler is how much salary, if any, Bob Murray can take on in a deal.

I can't see any team giving up a legit 1st line LW that makes less than Fowler for Fowler.

btlaffin

Deathbat
Jun 30, 2013
Kane's stats aren't even impressive enough to begin to cover his glaring attitude issues. I bet he won't even be in the NHL in 5 years.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

The optimal window for making a Fowler for futures trade definitely would have been back when there were legit top 6 LW options available in free agency. I still won't be shocked if BM moves him for a Ryan type package though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad