OT: Buccaneers, Rays & Other Tampa Bay Sports Teams Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
All that said, in the next year or two Manfred is gonna be pulling Stu's arm so hard he'd be lucky the commish doesn't rip it off. The longer this drags on the more pressure is going to be placed on Stu to get a new ballpark built. Sell, build or leave is gonna be coming soon and once again, given our market size and what a sweet TV deal can offer MLB... we've got hella leverage and nothing but time to kill and believe you me when I say they're gonna get PISSED at Stu if he costs the league money with this

Point21

Oct 23, 2018

i mean it makes sense since Glasnow will be out a while but oof that would look bad for us down the line. According to the article we were offering KK and prospects just for Bryant.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Alright.... I'll eat shit on Nelson Cruz for now. Just do this in the playoffs big guy. If we make it that is.

Our pitching scares the hell out of me

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yadda yadda "good teams find a way to win against bad ones" but God what a way for the Rays to do it. Either we're playing down or Baltimore is a hell of a fighting team that refuses to die.

And on a day the Red Sox lose a heartbreaker... We got them next too. What a sweep would do here

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
The Rays are a very strange team this year, to win it all they're going to have to rely on their offense instead pitching. I'm not sure they've ever had a team like that.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The Rays are a very strange team this year, to win it all they're going to have to rely on their offense instead pitching. I'm not sure they've ever had a team like that.

It's been a minute. Probably since 2006 and 2007 because the best pitching we could hope for back then was any day Scott Kazmir miraculously threw for longer than 6 innings and it was one less inning where we weren't trudging out shit from the bullpen like Casey Fossum, Brian Stokes, Shawn Campbell. If I had a dollar every time the Rays had to rake for 5 or 6 runs to win a game I'd have nearly enough money to buy a ticket to opening night.

I know that I remember reading somewhere that our record would've been some ridiculous record like 100 wins if we had held leads after something the 6th inning but I could be remembering that inning incorrectly. Christ those 2 years might've been among one of the worst bullpens in history.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
AB throwing hands at practice with Titans CB Chris Jackson
7ughql4mqci71.png

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't know what's more disappointing. AB throwing hands in a scrimmage or that the Rays couldn't even get like 5,000 people in the building to watch them beat the shit out of Baltimore. If that's not the final nail in the coffin for St. Pete I don't know what is. You can say "Tampa doesn't cross the bridge" all you want but that just speaks to how bad your own market is.

Reactions: Discipline and Hoek

Discipline

Oct 14, 2019
North Carolina
I don't know what's more disappointing. AB throwing hands in a scrimmage or that the Rays couldn't even get like 5,000 people in the building to watch them beat the shit out of Baltimore. If that's not the final nail in the coffin for St. Pete I don't know what is. You can say "Tampa doesn't cross the bridge" all you want but that just speaks to how bad your own market is.

Guess that Montreal-Tampa split plan will happen after all eh.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Still think Baseball would work better than it does in St. Pete currently. Like I'm not a big baseball guy but I know if they had games in Tampa would go to more than I currently do and maybe that would increase my interest overall but how much don't really know for sure. Probably would still take a back seat to Lightning and Bucs for me but would have more interest than currently do. Baseball is also one of those sports where it's far more interesting being at the game than watching on TV unless you really value having that in home game experience.

This now makes me wonder tho how well our Lightning would have done with everything if they stayed over in the thunderdome too and how would the attendance be compared to tampa? With Vinik and everyone who has been involved maybe would have still been successful but I do wonder based off the success the rays have been doing as a ball club but don't get the fans to show up.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Guess that Montreal-Tampa split plan will happen after all eh.

The MLBPA will never approve of it in a million years. The best solution is for Tampa to stop acting like it's f***ing Pawn Stars countering a better than half billion dollar price tag with "Best I can do is $20" and after over 10 years whining they say "omg $25 and not a penny more you're breaking my balls"

Yes Stu is filthy rich. Like an $800 million net worth. Now tell me it's a good idea to blow half a billion in capital for a stadium when you need it to sustain your current investments

Edit: and if they do split for Montreal then I can't say we didn't deserve it to happen to us. At no point did we not have the power to fix this/make it happen

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Aren't they building a new stadium in Montreal?

The split thing really bugs because we'd have to count on MLBPA to do the expected thing and not allow it, but at the same time it's impossible to get people to support an expensive tax payer funded stadium for a half season team when that's the only thing that's currently on the table. The whole situation is a poison pill. It's like Sternberg doesn't actually want a new stadium here at all. Just wants to piss us off so he can move.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Im waiting for the headline of "Stu OUT! New Ownership Company Purchases Rays And Will Keep Them IN TAMPA!!"

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

The split thing really bugs because we'd have to count on MLBPA to do the expected thing and not allow it, but at the same time it's impossible to get people to support an expensive tax payer funded stadium for a half season team when that's the only thing that's currently on the table. The whole situation is a poison pill. It's like Sternberg doesn't actually want a new stadium here at all. Just wants to piss us off so he can move.

Well here's the thing. If Tampa Bay > Montreal in terms of $$$ the move will never happen and MLB will all but kill Stu for the stadium not being built. The best news is we will be reaching a conclusion and likely very quickly because 2027 is coming faster than we think. Thank God for that because it'll be less time for posturing

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Stu is the worst. No chance tax payers are going to fund a stadium. Should just let the Rays go to Montreal and call it a day.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

No? Nobody wants to pay for it with tax money, its just a pipe dream.
The funny part is the Rays are complaining about the stadium so they're willing to go to Quebec where they'll make less, and play in an older stadium.
Stu's response to this previously was that he wanted a new stadium in both locations. f*** yourself with a cactus you asshole.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I love the Rays but i'm not giving that rich :eek::eek::eek::eek: a dime for a stadium, finance it yourself. These deals never work out for munis and take away money from other budgets. Florida is f***ed up enough.

Just another New York asshole coming down here thinking he knows better. :laugh:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
2 AL pennants, 4 other playoff appearances and he still doesn't know better? Everyone here knows what they DON'T want but cannot propose a single working alternative to it. If a new ballpark is over half a billion dollars how's a guy worth only $800 million supposed to build it on his own while keeping his other investments afloat? The math doesn't work like that. There are Hillsborough County residents who will spend more on the Lightning in 2-3 years than they ever will in 30-40 years as a taxpayer in part of a stadium bill but yet that's somehow too rich for our blood around here.

If there was ever a flex worse than "split the season in Montreal" we certainly found it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If you wish to alleviate local tax burden you can always put in extra at hotels because tourism here will never go away. Out of state visitors will foot that bill by the millions in 30-40 years. You can partner with local business (think of something like naming rights with Hard Rock and a partnership to pay for the stadium) and any business enterprises Vinik has coming up here in Tampa would be particularly advantageous in that the potential Ybor location is nearby.

We've had the necessary resources to get this done the entire time. And also, you don't need to put a roof on it. We play at 7pm except on Sundays and it doesn't rain that much. Boom, just saved you $245 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad