OT: Buccaneers, Rays & Other Tampa Bay Sports Teams Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018

talking about Scherzer and Bryant?!?!?!?! who decided to try and spoil us so much??

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And also HOLY SHIT what luck for the Magic. They couldn't get the ping pong balls to fall for them for any pick in the top 4 and the Raps do them a solid and let Suggs fall to 5th.

God this feels good after we could've had Luka or Trae Young but both guys got snatched up. I'm not betting on the playoffs or anything but FINALLY some damn luck that can start to change the course of things.

Say Hey Kid

The best all around player ever
Dec 10, 2007
The Cowboys are coming here for the NFL kickoff Sept. 9th. All I gotta say to them is Welcome to the Jungle! ;)

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Nothing wrong with kicking the tires, but as the giant lobster in Seattle found out, playing hardball needs someone to play with, and spot you the ball.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Lol yeah that's what I thought. The Rays are full of shit as usual

Yeah, I look at their "interest" in big name players as little more than a marketing gimmick. No real intention of ever trading for the elite guys they were linked to.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Word is the Nats liked what the Rays were offering but Scherzer wouldn’t waive for them.

Were that the case I would get why. See why below

Yeah, I look at their "interest" in big name players as little more than a marketing gimmick. No real intention of ever trading for the elite guys they were linked to.

God can we please just get a new ballpark built already so we can stop dealing with this crap? The Lightning would draw 25,000 on a Tuesday if Amalie could hold it. Imagine what the Rays would do here with the best young prospect in baseball and fresh off another pennant

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And while we're at it, can we please find a long term solution for The Rowdies? Al Lang is a great temporary fix. But there's no way in hell the Rays are playing in the Trop past '27. Blow the son of a bitch up and build that 18,000+ stadium so our boys make the jump to MLS and can secure a sweet TV deal too.

At the very least it would make the blow of (potentially losing) the Rays easier

Reactions: berlin

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And Glasnow is having Tommy John. Can we offer up Mitchell Stephens as a sacrifice since he's being traded anyway? Alex Volkov worked great for Ross Colton's career

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Were that the case I would get why. See why below

God can we please just get a new ballpark built already so we can stop dealing with this crap? The Lightning would draw 25,000 on a Tuesday if Amalie could hold it. Imagine what the Rays would do here with the best young prospect in baseball and fresh off another pennant

I honestly don't think Stu wants a new ballpark, I think he wants (and can't wait) to move the team. I haven't looked into it in awhile but I know the minority owners were suing him, I believe it's more likely than not he's a pretty scummy dude. I'll have to look for an update on that situation.

Regardless, I'd say enjoy the Rays now because in 2027 they're gone.

For anyone who didn't hear about the lawsuit I mentioned above:

Tampa Bay Rays' principal owner Stu Sternberg sued for alleged fraud scheme

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Jesus, for as lucky as Bolts fans got with Vinik the Rays have been suffering through the Sternberg circus for a long time now

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Every time I get pissed at Stu I remind myself how we'd put out like 9,000 people on a Tuesday in 2009 fresh off an AL Pennant. It's hard to measure that he's been a bigger letdown than the fanbase

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Every time I get pissed at Stu I remind myself how we'd put out like 9,000 people on a Tuesday in 2009 fresh off an AL Pennant. It's hard to measure that he's been a bigger letdown than the fanbase

Atrocious stadium location, transplant northern fanbase, yadda yadda yadda there are some serious issues with drawing fans to games versus the convenience of watching the games from television. The Rays are in the top third for television ratings though, something nobody ever talks about, there are plenty of people here who like to watch baseball, they just don't want to invest the time and money into supporting the team. To do that you have to actually love the organization, something that is hard to do when the ownership group doesn't invest back into the community.

Vinik got right early on, the Lightning have spent decades developing their fanbase. It's easy to feel good spending money on the Lightning, and not so much the Rays. My opinion anyways

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Atrocious stadium location, transplant northern fanbase, yadda yadda yadda there are some serious issues with drawing fans to games versus the convenience of watching the games from television. The Rays are in the top third for television ratings though, something nobody ever talks about, there are plenty of people here who like to watch baseball, they just don't want to invest the time and money into supporting the team. To do that you have to actually love the organization, something that is hard to do when the ownership group doesn't invest back into the community.

Vinik got right early on, the Lightning have spent decades developing their fanbase. It's easy to feel good spending money on the Lightning, and not so much the Rays. My opinion anyways

I mean this as a complement to Vinik but there are none like him. Guy is like Muhammad Ali and the rest of the competition consist of tuff bois who think they're hot shit brawling outside of bars. Stu has been (at worst) par for the course as far as sports owners go and a godsend compared to former owner Vince Naimoli and his investment in the community is not really any more or less than I've seen anywhere. It plays a part in fan connection to the team but the fact of the matter is in 2008 were finally delivered from years in the wilderness and have ever since had a pissing contest to see if we could be more ungrateful and bitchy about it than the Israelities after the Exodus. Either this city legitimately does not care about baseball or we're so f***ing spoiled by Vinik that we just want everything handed to us. I honestly think Stu could throw down half a billion dollars for the stadium, ask the city for $200 million and we'd throw up our hands like "oh my God the audacity!" without considering how much personal cost that is for one person and that's probably the lowest price tag a city has had to eat for a new ballpark in how many years.

Whether we want to blame the population size and corporate backing of the St Pete area, the accessibility to it, Stu's connection to the city, I have never seen or heard of a sports team that wins THAT much and no one comes to see them. LA will navigate the hell of the Chavez Ravine every day to see the Dodgers and we crap our pants over the Howard Frankland Bridge

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I think the idiotic city sharing idea has completely torched the relationship at this point. Asking for ANY money for a part-time team's stadium IS audacious, hands down. If he truly wants a new stadium built he needs to take that off the table.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think the idiotic city sharing idea has completely torched the relationship at this point. Asking for ANY money for a part-time team's stadium IS audacious, hands down. If he truly wants a new stadium built he needs to take that off the table.

Yep, irredeemable decision to make. You can't expect loyalty when you have a side piece

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The Montreal shit is just leverage in my opinion and the modern day answer to "We're gonna move them to Baltimore!" like we saw for like 20 years for NFL teams who needed new buildings. I hate to say it but I don't take those kinds of threats seriously and only makes me laugh at Stu versus "I want a new owner"

He'll either sell the team to an owner who figures out a solution or if he moves the team we'll likely be first in line for expansion anyway because Tampa Bay TV contract = beaucoup buckaroos and MLB ain't gonna pass that big boii up

Rays fans are gonna win the war in the end. Those of us in our early-mid adulthoods will see MLB baseball in Tampa Bay again by the end of our lifetimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->