OT: Buccaneers, Rays & Other Tampa Bay Sports Teams Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
They might have actually considered Kaepernick if the fool didn't move his workout in the last possible minute.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

This does not seem to be necessarily bringing the Rays to Orlando, but rather through expansion.

Miami and TB have the worst attendance in the league, although stadium placement is an issue. I don't know a lot about MLB, but I don't see Orlando making sense.

Baseball is an old man sport and summer is our rainy season, so it'd be an indoor stadium, which casuals wouldn't understand.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

This does not seem to be necessarily bringing the Rays to Orlando, but rather through expansion.

Miami and TB have the worst attendance in the league, although stadium placement is an issue. I don't know a lot about MLB, but I don't see Orlando making sense.

Baseball is an old man sport and summer is our rainy season, so it'd be an indoor stadium, which casuals wouldn't understand.

Only way it makes sense is if Rays move to Montreal or its the Rays that gets moved to Orlando. Otherwise it makes no sense.

I am not gonna bash Florida as baseball market because I think they have been dealt a bad hand for the most part (garbage ownership for Marlins, terrible stadium location for Rays). Think if Orlando gets the stadium location right they should do well. They support Magic and Orlando City well.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Only way it makes sense is if Rays move to Montreal or its the Rays that gets moved to Orlando. Otherwise it makes no sense.

I am not gonna bash Florida as baseball market because I think they have been dealt a bad hand for the most part (garbage ownership for Marlins, terrible stadium location for Rays). Think if Orlando gets the stadium location right they should do well. They support Magic and Orlando City well.
I don't know anything about the MLB owners. Would they be more likely to acknowledge their own collective failings, or put it onto the market/millennials?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm down with the Rays actually moving to Orlando. Not like I can't see them there or watch the games. That's not a hard follow for me to make. It can't possibly be any worse than Mayor Dickhead Foster stonewalling the Rays for God knows how many years not letting them explore anything in Tampa while everyone and their grandparents knew that Pinellas County nevermind St. Pete wouldn't finance the new ballpark even if the Rays looked there.

Tear down the Trop and for crying out loud build something nice in its place like another Amalie Arena

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm down with the Rays actually moving to Orlando. Not like I can't see them there or watch the games. That's not a hard follow for me to make. It can't possibly be any worse than Mayor ******** Foster stonewalling the Rays for God knows how many years not letting them explore anything in Tampa while everyone and their grandparents knew that Pinellas County nevermind St. Pete wouldn't finance the new ballpark even if the Rays looked there.

Tear down the Trop and for crying out loud build something nice in its place like another Amalie Arena
The Chargers moved from SD to LA and didn't catch on (and the SD fanbase didn't follow). The mitigating factor was that the Rams were also starting in LA, but I don't think that most Rays fans will find a move to Orlando acceptable.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The Chargers moved from SD to LA and didn't catch on (and the SD fanbase didn't follow). The mitigating factor was that the Rams were also starting in LA, but I don't think that most Rays fans will find a move to Orlando acceptable.

I can't understand why. The distance and relationship between LA/SD is nothing like Orlando/Tampa Bay.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Teams are a matter of civic pride. When they move like that, they become someone else's civic pride.

San Diego has also always been second fiddle to LA, so there is a one-way rivalry there.

relevant:
No, I'll Never 'Get Over' The Chargers Moving To Los Angeles

It is

But in terms of Orlando/Tampa, they're not so much sister cities in my eyes as much as two cities that at least share more in common than LA/SD do. I-4 not only connects us, but the two cities at worst share the Bucs and Lightning as a crossover (I know Orlando supports them at least somewhat no differently than Tampa likes the Magic, they have to) and the cities at least have a crapload of theme parks in common. There's absolutely ZERO sports rivalry unless you want to consider Predators/Storm from the Arena Football days. Los Angeles touts itself like a New York City west with all the glitz, glamor and movie stars where everyone only gives a flying shit about the Lakers. San Diego is traditionally more blue-collar and grassrooted into its military history. Or so that has long been my understanding and confirmed by nearly every Californian I've spoken to. It couldn't be any more different. My neighbor who lived in CA for a while says the only thing Oakland and San Francisco have in common is that you can get lost in the slums and get shot and it's merely separated by a bridge and in the 1970's you could find meth in both places. Going from one city to the next in CA is like going to another state sometimes.

But to really wrap this up, if the Rays went to Orlando it would, in essence, save the team from being relocated out of state and still close enough to the fans who loved them. The Chargers fans got screwed over by the greedy conglomerate of the NFL and the Spanos family so a city that only really cared about the Raiders can get not one.... but TWO teams while the Raiders went to Vegas. It is completely unforgivable.

But really if anyone is gonna get THAT mad about the Rays going to Orlando then I'd say to lighten up because if I can watch the Magic games on Sun Sports then SURELY the Rays will be on there too. For f***s sake, it's not like you went to games anyway. You stayed home and watched them on TV. Now it's suddenly not okay because it's not in Tropicana Field? Gimme a break.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It is

But in terms of Orlando/Tampa, they're not so much sister cities in my eyes as much as two cities that at least share more in common than LA/SD do. I-4 not only connects us, but the two cities at worst share the Bucs and Lightning as a crossover (I know Orlando supports them at least somewhat no differently than Tampa likes the Magic, they have to) and the cities at least have a crapload of theme parks in common. There's absolutely ZERO sports rivalry unless you want to consider Predators/Storm from the Arena Football days. Los Angeles touts itself like a New York City west with all the glitz, glamor and movie stars where everyone only gives a flying **** about the Lakers. San Diego is traditionally more blue-collar and grassrooted into its military history. Or so that has long been my understanding and confirmed by nearly every Californian I've spoken to. It couldn't be any more different. My neighbor who lived in CA for a while says the only thing Oakland and San Francisco have in common is that you can get lost in the slums and get shot and it's merely separated by a bridge and in the 1970's you could find meth in both places. Going from one city to the next in CA is like going to another state sometimes.

But to really wrap this up, if the Rays went to Orlando it would, in essence, save the team from being relocated out of state and still close enough to the fans who loved them. The Chargers fans got screwed over by the greedy conglomerate of the NFL and the Spanos family so a city that only really cared about the Raiders can get not one.... but TWO teams while the Raiders went to Vegas. It is completely unforgivable.

But really if anyone is gonna get THAT mad about the Rays going to Orlando then I'd say to lighten up because if I can watch the Magic games on Sun Sports then SURELY the Rays will be on there too. For ****s sake, it's not like you went to games anyway. You stayed home and watched them on TV. Now it's suddenly not okay because it's not in Tropicana Field? Gimme a break.
The SD to LA rivalry isn't so much about sports as it is being the consistently overlooked southern California city. SD is 17th largest metro area in the country. TB is 18th at nearly the same size. It's not a podunk little market.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Kinda doubt there's enough baseball fans in Orlando if there aren't enough here. But better the Rays move there than further away.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Well, okay then.

OrlandoDreamers.com

This is a Hail Mary play. There's no owner, but there's a presumptive logo and name. What owner would want to step into that?

edit: Orlando Dreamers: Magic co-founder dreams of bringing professional baseball to town

No way in hell MLB puts a 3rd team in Florida considering attendance numbers in Miami and Tampa. But how about that name and logo, holy crap they’re horrific. Not sure which is worse, how does someone approve these?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah giving it a name and a crappy generic logo can only turn people off from the idea. There's a reason most people wait until they get the team to name it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
No way in hell MLB puts a 3rd team in Florida considering attendance numbers in Miami and Tampa. But how about that name and logo, holy crap they’re horrific. Not sure which is worse, how does someone approve these?
I can't find the full press conference anywhere, but it seems like it's just Pat Williams (who is a very legit former basketball executive) behind it.

If an owner is going to front millions of dollars to buy and move, or expand into Orlando, with no stadium plans, and not get total meticulous control of the team branding...

As I said it's a Hail Mary. Giving the team a name early may have worked for the Magic, but that was the mid-80s'. People dunked on this branding overwhelmingly and immediately thanks to Twitter. You don't get a second chance because the hivemind has formed.

No one is going to buy a team named after the great man theory anyway.

It reminds me of the 'Toronto Legacy Aces' announcement (which is somehow still around?), but that's basically a joke.

Literally from November 1st this year.

at least it's mixed-use.

Last edited:
Reactions: berlin

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
So the Rays either get a new stadium and play in Tampa or they move the team to Mtl or somewhere else. Those are the only 2 ways I see it playing out.

1qPwQeW.png

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Most teams take a 21 point lead and lock it down and call it a day...

Not the Bucs.

Edit: Well now they locked it down after it was down to a one score game. Sheesh.

Last edited:

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Winston is pure trash. You'll never win anything with that loser as qb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad